Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

Postby Bonetti » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:04 am

Map(s)

Unofficial expansion of the Republic of Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex by Bonetti, December 2009
ImageImageImageImage (December 2011)

Comments
My intention is to create a full, 2 2/3 mile per hex (1:3 zoom in) map of Darokin to use as my base campaign map.

Sources: Thorf's updated Darokin map (March 2009).

Unofficial Maps: James Mishler's Westerlands Campaign Map at the Vaults of Pandius, Morphius Shadowleaf's detailed map of Malpheggi Swamp at the Vaults of Pandius

Notes on XXX

To Do List
  1. Finish adding subsections
    • Create sub-map for each major area
    • Evaluate coverage and tweak subsection choices
  2. Add external hexes for subsections still missing details
  3. Add borders (national and internal) for subsections
  4. Reconcile PC1/GAZ5/CM9 in appropriate areas
  5. Pull in canon material not on 8mph map (is there any?)
  6. Pull in appropriate community material
  7. Develop new material

References
  1. Mapping around Malpheggi Swamp
  2. (more coming)

Thanks to: Thorfinn Tait for his art, maps, encouragement, and enthusiasm; isomage for hexGIMP; Shawn Stanley for archiving things I never would have seen otherwise; Geoff Gander for his many thoughts; and the patrons The Piazza for ideas, contributions, encouragement, and tolerance of cartographic insanity

This post has been locked for server performance reasons. In future, articles that include large numbers of images should be split into several separate posts. I am testing an alternate location for the thumbnail (Can this note now be removed since we've worked around it?)
Last edited by Bonetti on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 am, edited 14 times in total.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013, 2014, 2015; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014 (April, July), 2015 (April, July)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Re: Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

Postby Bonetti » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:06 am

Individual detail maps:

The bulk of the material is unofficial. Everything is in progress.

The maps are now in lists with text descriptions due to overburdening the server with the images.

(Close to) Done:

Partial Development:

Fanon Incorporated: (but not otherwise developed yet)

Scaled Up:

I intend to maintain (short) notes for each of these here.

I'll start development threads once I've finished laying the groundwork and have gathered my wits enough to actually start on it all :-)
Last edited by Bonetti on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 14 times in total.
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013, 2014, 2015; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014 (April, July), 2015 (April, July)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Zendrolion » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 am

Good work, Bonetti! 8-)

Incidentally, I fleshed out some border areas of Darokin in my other works, in the odd 2-2/3 miles/hex scale. In particular, I took a look at the baronies bordering Ylaruam and the Altan Tepes region in my MGAZ1, and then to the area just north of Threshold (including Utica) in another article. Perhaps these maps can be of some use to your project.

You can find them there:

MGAZ1 - The Central Altan Tepes [The map is found at the end of the booklet.]
Detail of the Threshold Region
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5
Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Re: Bronsdale region (fan creation)

Postby Gecko » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't know who the author is, but this site fleshes out some of the surroundings near Bronsdale. At a quick glance it doesn't seem to violate any cannon placements of features.
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Chimpman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:51 pm

I'll echo the others and say these are beautiful maps. I can't wait to see all of the extra detail I know you'll put into them!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Awesome! I may have ideas...
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks for the comments :-) I had the Threshold detail map already in the notes, but the link was non-obvious. That's been fixed. I also added MGAZ1 and the Bronsdale site.

I've updated a couple of the detail maps which were missing roads (and incorporated them into the overall map), and added a couple more subsections to the Big List of Sub-Maps. At the moment, I'm just doing a straight zoom-in. I'll start adjusting the terrain and incorporating material on the next pass. When I start on that phase, I'll start opening discussion threads in the Mystara forum.

I'm in the middle of finals at school and tied up in last-minute, just-before-product-launch issues at work, so it's going to be a little bit before I get to that stage. I just wanted to throw some stuff out there so I didn't get completely derailed :-)

It's frightening how empty it all looks! Of course, the swamp started out that way, too...

Seer of Yhog wrote:Awesome! I may have ideas...

I'll bet you do ;-)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Bonetti » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:39 am

Updates:
  • Merged MGAZ and Threshold maps (and expanded Selenica and Nemiston detail maps slightly)
  • Fixed Lake Amsorak islands to match the non-hex versions of the maps
  • Merged Bronsdale area details

I'll be starting a development thread or three later this week. I figure one per region or thought grouping would be better than one overall (or, worse, one per sub-map :-) ).
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Gecko » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 am

I doubt it would be of any help or not, but a few months back I had gathered some info on what was in various heartlands and borderland. I know I included the MGAZ stuff and a few odds and ends here and there (It was before your development of the Malpheggi Swamp and the Elstrich & Sashenta valley's), perhaps I included some thing else that you don't currently have (probably not, I wasn't too thurough in my search). If I was on a high speed connection, I would check it myself. At any rate, it's available here (within the text descriptions under each line of BR stats).
Gecko
Storm Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Well, Bonetti, you've certainly set yourself an ambitious goal! I thought I'd place some markers here for resources that can be consulted later. Feel free to use them (or not).

"The Peril of Lakeside" (OD&DITIES #8) takes place on Razak's Rock, and the village of Lakeside (20 miles north of Akorros). There is also mention of a stone head (a relic of a lost nation, or an old trading post - up to the DM, really), which may be connected to a ruin.

The big valley north of Bronsdale was where I placed the lost elven realm of Brethilad, for which I have a map. I can make a point of digging this out and scanning it. As of AC 1000, there are ruins, abandoned Home Trees, a ruined village (and stream that leads eastwards), the former great fortress at the northern end of the valley (now a monastery), and an even more secluded valley and lake to the north of that.

"Shadow Over Pendleton" (Dragonsfoot Publication) details the village of Pendleton and the ruined Cranstal Abbey. I located it fairly close to Dolos, but the only site requirement is that it should be somewhere between Dolos and Darokin City, and there should be some forests to the north.

I have a map of the region around Tafton's Corners that may be useful for filling in geographical details.

I'm sure I'll have more later. ;)

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Gecko wrote:At any rate, it's available here (within the text descriptions under each line of BR stats).

I'll dig through that, probably tomorrow, and follow up on anything I don't already have. I have a project due in the morning, so not tonight :-) (I did immediately see a link for Orclands material)

Seer of Yhog wrote:Well, Bonetti, you've certainly set yourself an ambitious goal!

Nonsense! Ambitious would be the entire Known World at 2 2/3 scale ;-) (And insanely ambitious would be all of Mystara at 2 2/3 ;-) ) Actually, working on the swamp rekindled my desire to work on stuff like this, and with my gaming group still in the middle of testing (thus no adventure development, yet) I decided to get this started. It won't move all that fast :-)

Seer of Yhog wrote:"The Peril of Lakeside" (OD&DITIES #8) takes place on Razak's Rock, and the village of Lakeside (20 miles north of Akorros). There is also mention of a stone head (a relic of a lost nation, or an old trading post - up to the DM, really), which may be connected to a ruin.

The ruins tie into my interest in James Mishler's idea of the former Tiefling empire existing in this area. Of course, any DM could replace it with his/her own pet project. I wonder how many small villages/hamlets around Lake Amsorak are called "Lakeside" :-)

It does lead one to wonder how much is hidden under the surface of the lake...

Seer of Yhog wrote:The big valley north of Bronsdale was where I placed the lost elven realm of Brethilad, for which I have a map. I can make a point of digging this out and scanning it.

That would be cool :-)

Seer of Yhog wrote:"Shadow Over Pendleton" (Dragonsfoot Publication) details the village of Pendleton and the ruined Cranstal Abbey. I located it fairly close to Dolos, but the only site requirement is that it should be somewhere between Dolos and Darokin City, and there should be some forests to the north.

I have a map of the region around Tafton's Corners that may be useful for filling in geographical details.

...as would those. I'm not familiar with Shadow over Pendleton.

Links/notes added to the top post. Thanks, research staff! :-)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 am

Bonetti wrote:I'm not familiar with Shadow over Pendleton.

Here it is.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am

Between school and issues over New Year's (and my Darokin game actually starting), it's been a while since I had a chance to look at any of this.

I just uploaded a quick update to:
  • Ansimont: merged detail from PC1's map (more precisely placing Tallwoode and Grundale, adding rivers), sprinkled some to-be-named-and-cataloged villages around, raised some hills to hold some ruins, tweaked the forests a bit, added the roads around Favaro, and merged previous detail from Elstrich Valley
  • Corunglain: added village from the north of the Ansimont region, drew some preliminary additional waterways, sprinkled a few towers/keeps and ruins along the border with the Broken Lands, added a few villages for later development, and started tweaking the too-regular zoomed-in shapes in a few spots

One thing I noticed from the PC1 map is that the areas leading into Alfheim are very, very moist. There are tons of small rivers and streams (not all of them survived the zoom out to 2 2/3 miles per hex). To me, this implies both that Alfheim is slightly sunken now, and that there will be few tributaries east of the Streel (the water would more (un)naturally flow toward Alfheim).

So, after merging that detail, I scribbled a few random-ish rivers along the Alfheim border visible in the Corunglain regional map, too.

I'm off next week (and traveling, and thus away from my computer). With a little luck, I'll open development threads for the three maps with too many unnamed things on them on my return (Elstrich Valley, Ansimont, Corunglain).
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:50 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:"Shadow Over Pendleton" (Dragonsfoot Publication) details the village of Pendleton and the ruined Cranstal Abbey.

There's also the adventure "It Came From Outer Space" by Jacob Skytte (with help from Geoff) that is set in and around Hendry in Darokin. Don't know offhand if it has too many other details about the region.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:58 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:There's also the adventure "It Came From Outer Space" by Jacob Skytte (with help from Geoff) that is set in and around Hendry in Darokin. Don't know offhand if it has too many other details about the region.

It has Hendry Stream - a minor tributary of the Helleck River. Lord knows where its source would be, though.

Credit for that module is also due to Mr. Chimp - take a bow, sir. :)

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:27 am

I remember that one. Just re-reading it tonight :D. IIRC I was supposed to have done a cover for that, but I don't remember now if I finished it or not. I'll have to go back through my files.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby maddog » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Wow! Great maps! I bought the Darokin Gazetteer PDF. I haven't printed it yet or read it either. Shame on me! I think I know what I will be doing today! :)
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 pm

maddog wrote:Wow! Great maps! I bought the Darokin Gazetteer PDF. I haven't printed it yet or read it either. Shame on me! I think I know what I will be doing today! :)

test quoting
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Bonetti » Mon May 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Ashtagon: I've deleted the images from the second post (which was (I think) the problematic one). Could you unlock the top post, please? Thanks!
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 pm

I've restored editing to the top post, but I have converted the image tags to plain text. It would appear that one of the images (the really large one) was causing the problem, as the system was unsuccessfully trying to determine the size of that image.

Edit: It would appear that inline images from the http://www.icculus.org/~msphil/ server are the cause of the problem. Remote linking of such images has no particular problem.

Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Bonetti » Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks.

That's going to complicate sharing maps in the future :-( Oh, well. I'll figure something out.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue May 25, 2010 2:31 pm

FWIW, I took your map of the region northeast of Corunglain, and modified it to accommodate my convention module. I also did a zoom-in (1/2 mile hex) of the main adventure region. If you're interested, I can share the maps.

Geoff

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Hugin » Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:If you're interested, I can share the maps.

Geoff

Well, that's a no-brainer! Share, man, share! :D
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Consider it done - stay tuned!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Tue May 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Exactly what Hugin said, do share, and I'm flattered and honored to see it being used :-)

If you want the hexgimp file to make it easier to edit, let me know.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Next

Return to Geographical Mapping