Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Re: Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed May 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Wed May 26, 2010 8:16 pm

I see, that's the area northeast of Fort Nell. Pretty daring, setting up farms up there ;-)

Any particular reason you had the river run down to Darokin? Based on the area northeast of Alfheim, and the detail from PC1, it seems the river would likely have redirected itself into Alfheim at some point. (Based on PC1's Dreamland detail map, I get the feeling that Alfheim has sunk a bit, or the magical relocation of water is actually pulling water against its natural flow. Either way, I've been working it as if all rivers lead to Alfheim -- at least for the next few miles outside the borders.)

I also assume, you being you, that there's an interesting history for the area :-)

Thanks for sharing!
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed May 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Bonetti wrote:I see, that's the area northeast of Fort Nell. Pretty daring, setting up farms up there ;-)

Ah, but you'll notice a good number of them are abandoned or destroyed. :twisted: The farms on the Barrowfields map are all destroyed - just didn't want to use the ruins icon.

Bonetti wrote:Any particular reason you had the river run down to Darokin? Based on the area northeast of Alfheim, and the detail from PC1, it seems the river would likely have redirected itself into Alfheim at some point. (Based on PC1's Dreamland detail map, I get the feeling that Alfheim has sunk a bit, or the magical relocation of water is actually pulling water against its natural flow. Either way, I've been working it as if all rivers lead to Alfheim -- at least for the next few miles outside the borders.)

I suppose the rivers could flow that way. My though was that a few portions of the Callair Hills are quite elevated, and the ridgelines (etc) would effectively force the rivers into the Streel Plain, to meet up with the Streel. Keep in mind that these rivers are probably closer to streams in terms of size. But like I said, there's nothiny saying branches could head south.

Bonetti wrote:I also assume, you being you, that there's an interesting history for the area :-)

Naturally! The region is where the old kingdom of Callair once stood, and Inslashar covered part of the region before that. I've worked out the history fairly nicely, but I'm exploring...options...for publishing this module.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu May 27, 2010 12:13 am

Good luck with the publishing thing :-)

That reminds me, I really need to make the time to write up more on Fort Nell and a couple other things that sort of fell out of the character backgrounds in my game...
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 am

Well, I finally found that map of Brethilad I promised. Unfortunately, time was not kind to the paper, however, it should be easy enough to read.

Here it is.

It develop some notes for it as soon as I can.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Here are some notes for Brethilad. I would note that I was on a Tolkien kick when I created the region (having read LoTR, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales during that summer). IIRC, this material was created between 2000 and 2002.

General Notes: Although empty, there is a magical feeling when one enters Brethilad, as though being under observation. Wildlife is plentiful, but humanoids are reluctant to enter the valley (though they don’t know why). The trees are quite a bit larger than one would expect, and nestled in the deeper reaches are a few old Home Trees. The main road is heavily overgrown, but recognisable, and the stone bridges are intact.

Emyn Ithil (Hills of the Moon): These low hills once hosted rituals to celebrate the seasons, and special groves planted for such occasions remain.

Ered Celeb (Silver Mountains): These aptly named mountains actually do have many rich veins of silver running through them.

Harlond (South Haven): Not much remains of this village, except rotted dock posts jutting up from the water and a few foundations. Digging around might uncover a thing or two.

Celgorm’s Statue: A large statue of the last king of Brethilad, which stands by the main north-south road. It still stands.

Minas Brethil (Tower of Beeches): This small tower stands over the main north-south road, and served as a rallying point for troops. There was enough room for about ten soldiers. The tower is largely intact as of AC 1000, and I have maps for it somewhere.

Minas Celeb (Tower of Silver): I never really developed this one. Anything could be here.

Mithmar (Grey Dwelling): This was a pleasant village nestled by a serene lake, and much of it remains fairly intact. I have a sketch map of this somewhere.

Ostbrethilad (Stronghold of the Beeches): This served as the royal palace and as a shelter if Brethilad was ever invaded – which it was. It was carved into the rockface, and resembles two gigantic beech trees framing a great entrance. It still stands, and I have a map for it. Behind Ostbrethilad is a hidden valley (Imlad Anor – Vale of the Sun), which measures a few square miles and contains a small lake fed by runoff, and elf-planted groves.
Last edited by Seer of Yhog on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 pm

These old maps are real treasures GG! I hope if you keep finding them that you keep posting them.
Seer of Yhog wrote:Here are some notes for Brethilad. I would note that I was on a Tolkien kick when I created the region (having read LoTR, the Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales during that summer). IIRC, this material was created between 2000 and 2002.

;) I figured something like that was going on based on the names on the map.

Seer of Yhog wrote: It was carved into the rockface, and resembles two gigantic beech trees framing a great entrance. It still stands, and I have a map for it. Behind Ostbrethilad is a hidden valley (Imlad Anor – Vale of the Sun), which measures a few square miles and contains a small lake fed by runoff, and elf-planted groves.

Wow - I actually drew a picture of something like this for my mom about 20 years ago. Probably an 12" by 24" (or thereabouts) in oil pastels. It was framed and hanging in the house for quite some time. I wonder if I could get a snapshot of it to post here...
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Chimpman wrote:These old maps are real treasures GG! I hope if you keep finding them that you keep posting them.

Thanks John! I've got several bundles of old maps and notes packed away in boxes around the house, including first drafts of things I've already posted (like the Perils of Lakeside and Shadow Over Pendleton - both of which were originally handwritten). I'll have some time over the next few days to go digging, as I still want to find those maps of Tafton's Corners, Ardelphia, and Akorros for Bonetti (and I know I saw some of them less than a year ago).

Chimpman wrote:;) I figured something like that was going on based on the names on the map.

Yeah. :oops: It was the "in" thing back then, don't you know...

Chimpman wrote:Wow - I actually drew a picture of something like this for my mom about 20 years ago. Probably an 12" by 24" (or thereabouts) in oil pastels. It was framed and hanging in the house for quite some time. I wonder if I could get a snapshot of it to post here...

I'd love to see that! As a matter of fact, the gates of Ostbrethilad (which I sketched) would be one thing that I'd love to see painted.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks, Geoff :-) I'll try to free up some time to hexmap that from the base maps...
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 am

That would be great to see!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 am

As promised ages ago, I finally tracked down my maps of Tafton's Corners. I actually did a lot more than I thought.

Here is the regional map (the dotted lines are fieldstone walls denoting the boundaries of farms).

And here is a map of the village (with keyed locations!)

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 am

In for a penny, in for a pound...

Here is my map of Akorros (again, keyed with interesting locations - the inns are even rated).

It should be fairly self-explanatory, but Toney Rock is an islet on which someone (likely a Toney) built a lighthouse many years ago.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 am

:D These are great maps!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks! I knew there was a reason why I never threw anything out! :)

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Hugin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Nice maps. They have a very appealing look to them, almost as if they were archived historical documents uncovered.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Hugin wrote:Nice maps. They have a very appealing look to them, almost as if they were archived historical documents uncovered.

Thanks! In some respects, I suppose they are, having been in a box since we bought our house back in 2002. When I found those I also found a couple of my old notebooks, too. Ahhh, memories.....and maybe there's an idea or two in there to mine.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Man... makes me want to dig though the old bookshelf and unearth some of my own notebooks.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Open the treasure chest!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Hugin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Open the treasure chest!

Haha! I was doing that the other day as we pack up things for the move. Great fun going down the memories of bygone campaigns but I had to stop it short to help the wife.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:And here is a map of the village (with keyed locations!)

One thing I should note about Tafton's Corners is that the farms, temple, monument, and inns were there first, and then, over the years, other businesses located there as traffic grew. This is why it has such a complete range of businesses for a village of its tiny size. One would think that, being only about 15 miles outside of Darokin City, no one would want to stay here, but many regular travellers do. Especially those with business or personal dealings they don't want others to know about. Many an illicit love affair has taken place here.

This is the origin of the Darokin City expression "He went around the corner for a bit" to describe the act of going off to do something that you really don't want anyone knowing about (regardless of whether or not you actually went to Tafton's Corners to do it).

The monument at the crossroads is to General Tafton (the inscribed lettering is barely readable today) - none of the locals have any idea who he was, what he did, or when he lived. Many of the regulars at the taverns are happy to spin a yarn about him, however. Local legend has it that he was either instrumental in halting an orcish invasion about 500 years ago, or helping to put down the Red Duke of Irum. More people believe the former, but he could technically be anything in your own campaigns. If I were to run a campaign now, with everything now written about Darokin, I would probably have General Tafton be one of the early war leaders of the Eastwind Dynasty era, who scored a major victory over some rivals (orcish or otherwise) to make the northern hinterlands around Darokin City safe. If that's the case, the monument would predate everything else in the area.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:08 am

mini-update:

• The Lost Kingdom of Brethilad (Enjoy, Geoff!) -- not incorporated in the map, but done for background purposes
  • Sashenta Valley -- named some stuff (notes forthcoming, eventually -- When I Have Time(tm))
  • Akorros -- added locations from "The Peril of Lakeside" (note -- this makes two Lakesides, see also the fort); moved Akorros to "fanon incorporated" as a result
  • Updated big ol' map, tweaking slightly for optimal display in some of the better developed areas -- Malpheggi Swamp to Sashenta Valley to Akorros should look reasonably consistent and free from "I stitched this together" artifacts

Squeezed out a little time I don't really have, and tossed a couple very small/quick updates out there (some had been quietly done but not ever posted).
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 am

This reeks of awesome - thank you!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Mini-update:

• The Ruined Valley of Brethilad -- an experiment in destruction
  • Updated big ol' map:
    • Added internal borders to large swathes, smoothed borders to 2 2/3 scale
    • Dotted additional names in Akorros and Corunglain region, tweaked geography a bit
    • Integrated latest Elstrich Valley and Sashenta Valley maps

Regional maps aren't really updated if they don't have a thread (they're extremely work in progress). I've started notes on the areas I've been adding to, but development threads won't be started until I have time to actually work on them :-)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:07 am

Epic...just epic. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Mini-update:

Regional maps aren't individually updated if they don't have a development thread.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Geographical Mapping