Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Re: Outer World: Darokin, 2 2/3 miles per hex

Postby Bonetti » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 am

Modest update:
  • Updated big ol' map:
    • Added remaining internal borders, and finished fixing up the 3:1 hex borders to adhere to the new scale
    • Changed the borders east of Selenica to match the Altan Tepes gazetteer's borders
    • Tweaked Corunglain's covered by a few hexes so the area runs all the way to the borders
    • Added a couple more names here and there
    • Opened a development thread for Akorros

Regional maps aren't individually updated if they don't currently have a development thread.

There does seem to be an issue loading the full map on Firefox (at least for me), but it works in IE.

I figured I'd post the bits of cleanup I've been doing, so that the janitorial stuff is done when finals are over, and maybe there'll be time for more interesting work :-)
Last edited by Bonetti on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Hugin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Wow! That is one big map! Awesome.

Bonetti wrote:There does seem to be an issue loading the full map on Firefox (at least for me), but it works in IE.

I use Firefox and it loaded just fine. Thankfully. ^_^
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Hugin wrote:
Bonetti wrote:There does seem to be an issue loading the full map on Firefox (at least for me), but it works in IE.

I use Firefox and it loaded just fine. Thankfully. ^_^

Might be a 32-bit vs. 64-bit thing? I'll have to test under Linux (rather than WinXP) over break...
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Hugin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Bonetti wrote:
Hugin wrote:I use Firefox and it loaded just fine. Thankfully. ^_^

Might be a 32-bit vs. 64-bit thing? I'll have to test under Linux (rather than WinXP) over break...

I was using my office PC which has Windows XP Pro, if that helps at all.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Nope, same at both work and home :-( I thought maybe it was my proxy, but I'm having the same issue at home, and whether it's from the local drive or off the hosting site. Ah, well, I'll figure it out eventually :-)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Bonetti » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:00 am

Well, not sure what's going on (although there does seem to be an intermittent issue with super-wide images in general in Firefox), but it seems to be working most of the time when I load.

I did a minor update to the map, merging the ruined Lost Kingdom of Brethilad into the Bronsdale region. Looks kind of nice up there, actually :-)
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:23 pm

You can expect some suggested additions to the region around Corunglain, as that's where my campaign is located right now.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:52 pm

My party is about to assemble in Corunglain (having done private sessions with each player to give them backgrounds). In preparation, I've been working on locations of interest that they will be visiting. I expect they'll stay around Corunglain for a while, probably along the road to Favaro and the wilderness on either side. With that in mind, here's some of what I'm doing:

Darilon-on-Streel [1st village north of Favaro] (pop. 685): Darilon-on-Streel used to mark the southernmost extent of Daelbar, and, with its sister community of Koren-on-Streel in the Duchy of Favaro (now largely in ruins), was part of a thriving community. After Favaro’s collapse, and the subsequent sacking and abandonment of Koren, Darilon became a heavily fortified town. Many adventurers and mercenaries based themselves there, even after the fall of Daelbar.

Although Darilon weathered decades of anarchy by virtue of its fortifications, and its proximity to Favaro (which survived as a fortified city-state), by the time the republic was proclaimed it had shrunk to the size of a village. There are still many abandoned and crumbling buildings within its walls, and whole streets have been razed to establish protected vegetable plots. In more recent, stable times, people have begun to reclaim the ruins of Koren-on-Streel. The latter settlement (now just called Koren) is technically part of Darilon, but the 50-odd people living there tend to be free spirits, and the place has an “anything goes” atmosphere.

[EDIT: If you want to use this, I'd suggest moving the village one hex to the northeast, so it sits right on the river]

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 pm

The ruins north of Fort Nell would be a good place for the lost city of Tolann.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Rennalen (ruins) [5 hexes SW of Rennydale, then 1 hex north]: Rennalen was a fairly prosperous village whose inhabitants mined copper and silver from the nearby hills, and whose only claim to fame was being the birthplace of Jaenelle Lynwyth, the legendary sword-singer. Located within the heartland of Daelbar, Rennalen enjoyed many years of peace, but all that came to an end by AC 840, when humanoid activity in the northwest surged. Following a string of humanoid victories (including the destruction of Ardelphia in AC 846, and the Daelbaran capital of Mintarm the following year), the hill country north of Rennalen became very dangerous. Many villagers fled to the relative safety of Darilon-on-Streel, and those who remained turned their community into an armed camp. By AC 880, Rennalen had been abandoned to the humanoids, who used it as a base. Soldiers from the Duchy of Corunglain routed them in AC 886, leaving behind a smoking ruin.

After the humanoid menace passed many former residents returned to their homes, but did not have the heart to live there anymore. They founded a new settlement – Rennydale – in honour of their lost home.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Caldenhill (pop. 420): Located at the only bridge over the Calden Stream, this isolated village was once a stopover for caravans using the Corunglain-Mintarm Road. It is also one of the few remaining settlements from the old Duchy of Ardelphia. As most of Corunglain’s exports to Daelbar were arms and armour, local merchants bought up surplus stock. As a result, the Caldenhill village militia was unusually well-equipped – a distinction which made the difference on a number of occasions. The region surrounding Caldenhill became unsafe after the losses of Ardelphia and Mintarm in AC 846-847, and the caravans were re-routed south to Favaro. People began abandoning the region soon afterwards.

Caldenhill is now half its former size, and those who remain are a determined lot. Most passers-by are now adventurers, or soldiers on leave from Fort Runnels in search of solitude.

[Note: This is the village upstream from Rennydale]

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm

OK, I want my campaign to incorporate as much of the information as possible, but I can't find anything here, on Pandius, or Google for Garron Keep or Delmar (ruins). Where do these come from?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm

My head :-)

I hadn't opened a Corunglain development thread yet because I hadn't really thought much about the area. I was just adding names. From the sketchy notes which were going to become a development thread:

Villages:
Beneza: Village.

Ergythia: elf-friendly border village (Note: like "Ar-delphi-a", taken from Classical Greek city -- Gythium)

(Side note: I intend to do this in a couple other places as well, because my version of Darokin history has the initial Traldar settlements bringing the early Greek feel: Dolos, Athenos, Salonikos, etc. and if you munge a few classical Greek city names that gets preserved as really old history to build on.)

Perisa: Village. See Akorros development.

Keeps and Towers:
Elfwatch: A small keep dating from the Elfwar, it is now more a ceremonial and diplomatic center than an actual fort.

Garron Keep: Small stopping point between Ft. Runnels and Corunglain, mostly for supplies. Named (like most keeps) for a heroic general.

Lairs and Ruins:
Delmar: Ruins dating from [xxx]

Monument of Friendship: Ruins from before the Elfwar, once a marker of the friendship between Alfheim and Darokin. It has since been turned into a memorial of national friendship fallen and renewed.

Delmar was named because, well, I liked the sound of it (it's the first two-thirds of Delmarva, a local nickname for the eastern peninsula defining the Chesapeake Bay -- DELaware plus MARyland plus VirginiA). Given the local region, it's more likely to be Dell + something else (Mare? Mer? Marl, with the trailing consonant elided?)

I've updated the Corunglain regional map with your earlier information and to make sure the in-progress stuff I've been doing is available in a regional map.

Maybe it's time to consolidate it into a separate Corunglain development thread... Sorry I haven't done it yet, my work and school load has been really heavy since last summer, so I'm really behind on Mystara stuff :-(
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Bonetti » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

I should add that I want to add some more map detail, rather than have all the regions bounded so nicely by the scaled up hexes. Again, time constraints have prevented me from doing much to make it look less uniform and more interesting.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Great! Don't worry about the map details - I have ideas for those, too! My players are forcing me to create!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Bonetti wrote:My head :-)

As good a source as any, I say!

Bonetti wrote:Ergythia: elf-friendly border village (Note: like "Ar-delphi-a", taken from Classical Greek city -- Gythium)

I like this one.

Bonetti wrote:Garron Keep: Small stopping point between Ft. Runnels and Corunglain, mostly for supplies. Named (like most keeps) for a heroic general.

OK, I'll expand this a bit.

Bonetti wrote:Delmar: Ruins dating from [xxx]

A blank slate - excellent!

Somewhere in that region is the ruined moument that once marked where Molharran, Eraeda, and Inlashar met. It was a decorative archway that stood over a "Y" junction, surrounded by statues and other impressive-looking masonry. I'll find a hex.

I also had a formidable-looking ruined gatehouse that marked one of the approaches to the old Duchy of Ardelphia (one of the old dukes was very self-important). The remaining tower is tall enough to provide a decent view of the countryside.

More stuff to come, and it looks like my first little adventure is going to turn into a module I can publish under the VoP label. Promising, indeed!

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm putting up a link to a rough map of Daelbar (c. AC 840, before everything fell apart) that I'm working on, mainly because I can't think of any other place to put it right now, and because it is relevant to the discussion here. More details for my work on Corunglain will come from this.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... lbar-1.png

V=village
T=tower
X=ruins

Questions welcome.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 am

Daelbar, ca. 840 (xcf available on request)

Just the above edits, so I'm sure more cleaning needs to be done. However, I thought you might like having an updated copy for your records :-)

My primary question at this time is what would survive (name-wise, location-wise) to 1000AC and thus to the modern, expanded map?
Last edited by Bonetti on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Whoa - thanks for that!

It was late last evening when I realised I neglected to post a very important detail. :oops: The ruins and other details are for the AC 1000 era; I superimposed the borders to show where the kingdom would have been in AC 840. All of those ruins would be intact at that time (except The Pillar, which was a ruin 160 years ago, as well).

S'what I get for throwing things onto the boards too quickly.

Anyhow, the only change I would make would be to fix the spelling of the central forest to "Ceolfed's Wood" (named after the character in the piece of short fiction ("The Fall of Ardelphia") written by Jesper Andersen).

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Some quick crib notes for the map (to be expanded later - comments welcome):

Arvengel: An occasional stop for traffic following the road back when Daelbar existed. Pretty much the same today. Most people farm, fish, fell trees, or hunt.

Ceolfed’s Wood: Once the private reserve of the Daelbaran kings.

Corenhed: A quiet village of farmers and woodsmen, who also poached. It was burned down as punishment, and rebuilt after the kingdom’s fall. The people here now hunt legally in the forest.

Fellcross: Named after battle, long ago, when an ambitious king supposedly crossed this spot with his army, and they were all massacred by a well-entrenched orcish army. The “Fell Crossing” became “Fellcross”. Most get by on fishing or farming, but some moonlight as highwaymen.

Hareltarm: A mining village that survived the fall of the kingdom. The caves nearby will hold something interesting, or dangerous (possibly both).

Harnelsfall: Originally a fortress called Westwall, it was renamed after the ill-fated King Harnel rolled the military dice, and lost. Something nasty is here.

The Lodge: Formerly the private retreat of the kings of Daelbar. Its original name (Dormond Hall) is now largely forgotten. The descendants of former pets may roam here.

Marchtower: Built by a Daelbaran king to watch over the Streel Marches. Intact, but rarely used now.

Mintarm: The capital of Daelbar

Otharos: Conquered from Rondeth after a scuffle around AC 800, the entire valley was disputed territory. The villagers were restive, and are still fiercely independent now.

Rennwood: The old forest that lent its name to Rennalen, and now Rennydale. “Renn” would probably be an old word for “forest”, or “grove”, but with a primal connotation. The forest is very old (probably should put one or two deep forest hexes here), and there are Things living here that don’t like intruders. The people of Rennydale believe that Rennalen was destroyed in part because its people cut down many of the trees.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby TrimusDA » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Oooo - thanks for adding my humble contributions to the region around Bronsdale. The campaign continues and will be heading off towards Ardelphia!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Western Realms PBeM (Still going strong after 10 years)
http://www.zen27196.zen.co.uk/index.html
Mystara Map Archive
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~alandere ... index.html
TrimusDA
Kobold

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey Alan, great to see you! If you have any more insights about your creations, feel free to post them here.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:27 am

Well, the goal is several-fold, but one part is to sort of bring together as much fanon as possible into a contiguous whole (with maps and notes), and maybe (eventually) a replacement GAZ11. Maybe. (I envision it as a new document with a lot of detail, plus themes/patches for alternate takes on parts of it.) Years away, at best :-) So, thanks for sharing your information so it could be incorporated :-) (And, if my e-mail archives are correct, thanks for giving me permission back at the end of 2009 :-) )

I see that I haven't put in Helmsley, along the Amsorak River, so I'm assuming it wasn't in the maps as of when I last looked. It falls into the Lost Valley of Brethilad, so I'll let you two duke out how that fits today :-) (I think it would be near the ruins of Minas Brethil.)

Updated the Daelbar map with the spelling changes and geographic changes. I haven't unconverted the ruins yet. Your map had "Felcross", but the description has "Fellcross". Given the derivation, I changed that, too.

I probably won't have time to update the Corunglain area map in the immediate future, but I went ahead and created a development thread for it so that we can branch off this part of the discussion. This much back and forth for all of the individual regions would probably break the thread ;-) (I should add: I didn't migrate your notes, figuring if you wanted to do that, you could/would.)

Regarding Otharos, my current notes are:
Otharos: An old village with an old name, originally contemporaneous with the other old settlements (Athenos, Akorros, Salonikos, Dolos), rebuilt by refugees after being razed during the humanoid invasion.

So, nothing that contradicts the above. With that thought, though, here's an idea: it could be an area which changed hands enough times that it is almost its own region -- locals split on the town name (it keeps being renamed when it changes hands), but just enough local pride and population divide that the bare plurality go with the traditional name. With unification, the tradition became emphasized. (I'm thinking of the myth of Alsace-Lorraine here, rather than the political and historical realities.) That would also mean it probably had a more Daelbarish name when Daelbar had claim on it, so it sticks out less. Given the other tarms, I could well see an Othartarm, Othatarm, or even Athatarm. (I've been assuming a long O, but a shorter O would allow for the latter.)
Last edited by Bonetti on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 am

Bonetti wrote:I probably won't have time to update the Corunglain area map in the immediate future, but I went ahead and created a development thread for it so that we can branch off this part of the discussion. This much back and forth for all of the individual regions would probably break the thread ;-) (I should add: I didn't migrate your notes, figuring if you wanted to do that, you could/would.)

OK - I guess I'll do that shortly.

Bonetti wrote:So, nothing that contradicts the above. With that thought, though, here's an idea: it could be an area which changed hands enough times that it is almost its own region -- locals split on the town name (it keeps being renamed when it changes hands), but just enough local pride and population divide that the bare plurality go with the traditional name. With unification, the tradition became emphasized. (I'm thinking of the myth of Alsace-Lorraine here, rather than the political and historical realities.) That would also mean it probably had a more Daelbarish name when Daelbar had claim on it, so it sticks out less. Given the other tarms, I could well see an Othartarm, Othatarm, or even Athatarm. (I've been assuming a long O, but a shorter O would allow for the latter.)

I think this would work well. The people living in the valley would almost be at the point of looking out their windows each morning to see which banner is flying over the local fort, to figure out who's in charge. The local hills might have some minerals (although IIRC from GAZ 11, Darokin is not rich in that department), but the main value of the valley is its strategic location.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Harnelsfall

Postby Seer of Yhog » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm

This idea came to me while waiting for coffee. Had to write it all out:

Notes for Harnelsfall

Background

While building Westwall, King Harnel’s dwarven engineers urged him to invest in the best defences possible, which would force an enemy to exhaust itself – allowing even a moderately-sized force of heavy infantry to win. The king, a proud cavalryman to the core, ignored this advice and ordered them to build a cheaper, less defensive fort with enough sally ports for a large force of heavy cavalry to trample an attacker.

The dwarves complied, and Westwall was tested in AC 812 when the Ardelphian army, augmented by Sindhi mercenaries, marched on Daelbar to demand an apology and a repayment of a dowry from King Harnel, whose daughter had wedded the Duke of Ardelphia’s oldest son, and had proven to be both infertile and unfaithful. The duke, knowing that Westwall was Daelbar’s only significant defence in the west, planned to seize it quickly in order to force a settlement on his terms.

King Harnel, determined to put the duke in his place and force some long-desired changes to the border, rode with his 120 heavy cavalry to Westwall to meet the Ardelphians. At first the defences held, but when the attackers brought their artillery to bear the outer defences crumbled quickly. Ignoring the advice of his general to retreat to the more defensible citadel, the enraged king led his cavalry on a charge to overwhelm the enemy. The Daelbarans overran the light infantry, but were brought up short by the Sindhi war elephants ridden by archers. The king had thought that his cavalry’s warhorses, which had fared well against orcs and goblins, would stand firm against the large beasts. He was proven wrong. The cavalry, suddenly thrown into disarray, was surrounded by footmen and destroyed to a man.

The Duke of Ardelphia, sickened by the slaughter brought about by King Harnel’s decision, deemed the feud ended and marched home. The Sindhis chased out the surviving garrison, burned the fortress, and pillaged the countryside for months until the Daelbarans could drive them out. Some of the war elephants got loose in the ensuing chaos and migrated south – their descendants can be found on the fringes of the Malpheggi Swamp.

Daelbar never rebuilt Westwall after the battle, and afterwards the ruin became known as Harnel’s Fall – later Harnelsfall.

Harnelsfall Today

The ruins of Harnelsfall sit on a large hill, and are clearly visible more than a mile away. They are composed of a crumbling citadel surrounded by an overgrown inner bailey whose 30 foot tall wall has tumbled down in many places. The outer bailey contains several ruined barracks, and is surrounded by a largely-destroyed outer wall that was originally 20 feet tall, whose five sally ports are still visible. An aura of despair permeates the place. The wildlife that inhabits this region shies away from the ruins.

The remorseful ghost of King Harnel is tied to the ruins. He walks the battlements during the day, looking as he did in life and muttering regretfully to himself. He is harmless unless attacked, and if distracted from his despair the king can provide a great deal of historical information about Daelbar. At night, however, his regret transforms his spirit into a monster that stalks the ruins and surrounding countryside for souls to devour. He knows about the monster, but has no idea what it really is. The local farmers and shepherds know about the ghost, but most stay away because they fear running into the monster (which does not attack people in their homes).

Adventure Hooks

The most obvious goal here is to put King Harnel’s spirit to rest. The only way this can be done is by assuaging his feelings of regret by killing the monster. This would be a tough fight, but if successful the defeated monster would revert immediately into the form of the king, who would finally see what has been happening, and understand how much time has passed since his death. Realising at last that there is no need for him to remain, he departs Mystara forever.

The players can also earn a lot about Daelbar from the king, if they can get through to him. Harnel also knows of a number of treasure hoards that were never pillaged in his day, which have become forgotten since his death. Most of these are in the hills near Rennydale and the ruins of Rennalen, but the DM can place them anywhere inside the borders of old Daelbar.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to Geographical Mapping