Map Request Thread

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Re: Map Request Thread

Postby LoZompatore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Another fine map would be a small scale map of the area between Dolos and Wrasseldown settlements in southern Darokin made by merging CM9, PC1, GAZ11 and GAZ5 maps.

I tried to do it myself in the past, but I found many problems, the biggest one being the location of CM9 settlements apparently coincident with the town of Dolos in southern Darokin. :oops:
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby multizar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Thorf, I have another small map request :D I was looking at my big map on the wall and I was wondering if you thought of making a version of the Trail Map Known World at 1010 AC :?: I would love to update the map with the meteor crater and Aengmore. Another good addition to that map would be Karameikos with the forested hills from K:KoA. Just my two copper pieces :mrgreen:
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com
multizar
Troll

Postby Thorf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:54 am

multizar wrote:Thorf, I have another small map request :D I was looking at my big map on the wall and I was wondering if you thought of making a version of the Trail Map Known World at 1010 AC :?: I would love to update the map with the meteor crater and Aengmore. Another good addition to that map would be Karameikos with the forested hills from K:KoA. Just my two copper pieces :mrgreen:

Aengmor is already done (years ago). It's just a very simple select and replace of the Alfheim map, with ruins instead of towns, of course. (I'm guessing you already found it, given your comments in another thread about cutting it out. ;) )

The Great Crater I have not done at 8 miles per hex yet. It's on the list, though.

As for Karameikos, my updated version has always had the forested hills in it. :) There weren't that many added in Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure, but they're all there on my map.

Update: I added Underwater map of Alphatia, 24 miles per hex, 1010 AC to the requests list. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Rimx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 am

I'd like to see a 24 mph version of the Savage Baronies. I'm curious to see if I've got it placed on my map correctly.
Rimx
Goblin

Postby night_druid » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:34 pm

As a person who is fairly unfamiliar with Mystara:

Howabout a map (or series of maps) of Outer & Inner worlds with arrows pointing to the various regions mapped. I know where things are in the Known World, but there are some things I just don't know where they relate to on the world, such as Thunder Ridge.

Anyways just a suggestion for those of us not as intimately familiar with the setting as others ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Gawain_VIII » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:54 pm

night_druid wrote:As a person who is fairly unfamiliar with Mystara:

Howabout a map (or series of maps) of Outer & Inner worlds with arrows pointing to the various regions mapped. I know where things are in the Known World, but there are some things I just don't know where they relate to on the world, such as Thunder Ridge.

Anyways just a suggestion for those of us not as intimately familiar with the setting as others ;)

I'm envisioning something like the Companion Rulebook inside front cover... World map with KW, SC, Hule, & Norwold blocked out into regions.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Thorf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:16 am

night_druid wrote:Howabout a map (or series of maps) of Outer & Inner worlds with arrows pointing to the various regions mapped. I know where things are in the Known World, but there are some things I just don't know where they relate to on the world, such as Thunder Ridge.

That's a good idea - thanks! I'll add it to the list. :)

In the case of Thunder Rift, Havard may be best to explain it, but I believe that it may not in fact exist on Mystara at all; either that, or it is in a very, very isolated valley somewhere.

Gawain_VIII wrote:I'm envisioning something like the Companion Rulebook inside front cover... World map with KW, SC, Hule, & Norwold blocked out into regions.

I've always liked that map, it just seems to split things up so neatly. :D

Actually I just found a note I wrote about this very subject more than three years ago. From the original mapping thread (post 67):

Thorf wrote:My trail maps will be different from the released trail maps in that they have less space limitations, because they're in the computer, and I intend to make one for each region. At the moment the regions I am using are roughly based on the original divisions depicted in the Companion Set map.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 am

Rimx wrote:I'd like to see a 24 mph version of the Savage Baronies. I'm curious to see if I've got it placed on my map correctly.

I've been working towards this for a while now, ever since reading your post about the joining up of the maps from X5 and X9. I'm especially interested because I don't remember finding a problem before, but I don't quite have all the pieces in place to check properly yet.

So it's on my list. :) Sorry to keep you waiting.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby night_druid » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Thorf wrote:
night_druid wrote:Howabout a map (or series of maps) of Outer & Inner worlds with arrows pointing to the various regions mapped. I know where things are in the Known World, but there are some things I just don't know where they relate to on the world, such as Thunder Ridge.

That's a good idea - thanks! I'll add it to the list. :)

Figured I wasn't the only one looking at your nice maps going "OK, now *where* does this relate to the Known World?" :lol:

In the case of Thunder Rift, Havard may be best to explain it, but I believe that it may not in fact exist on Mystara at all; either that, or it is in a very, very isolated valley somewhere.

:lol: Weird.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 pm

night_druid wrote:
Thorf wrote:In the case of Thunder Rift, Havard may be best to explain it, but I believe that it may not in fact exist on Mystara at all; either that, or it is in a very, very isolated valley somewhere.

:lol: Weird.

Thunder Rift is a microsetting that can be located anywhere the DM wants. It can even be a pocket plane. Personally I prefer having it somewhere in the Known World though.

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby JoeNotCharles » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:21 am

I'm thinking of setting my next campaign in and around Herath, though I'm going to be changing some geography around. All the maps I've found of that area are patchwork and need to be slotted together - I'd really like a map starting at Herath and going west and south to the tip of the Orc's Head Peninsula.

EDIT: somebody posted a map of the whole Savage Coast they'd made by stitching a whole bunch of maps from completely different sources together, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know where that is?
JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Postby Thorf » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:18 am

JoeNotCharles wrote:I'm thinking of setting my next campaign in and around Herath, though I'm going to be changing some geography around. All the maps I've found of that area are patchwork and need to be slotted together - I'd really like a map starting at Herath and going west and south to the tip of the Orc's Head Peninsula.

EDIT: somebody posted a map of the whole Savage Coast they'd made by stitching a whole bunch of maps from completely different sources together, but I can't find it now. Does anyone know where that is?

I think this is what you're looking for - LoZompatore's patchwork map of official sources in that area. :)

I will add your request to the list, anyway. I started work on that map (basically the last of the Red Steel maps, the Trident Bay area) years ago, but hit a problem with the different locations for the Arm of the Immortals. But I think I'm coming round to Michele's idea that the Known World Grimoire maps were wrong, and the Savage Baronies map is the one to go by. So I will try to get back to it soon.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby JoeNotCharles » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Thorf wrote:I will add your request to the list, anyway. I started work on that map (basically the last of the Red Steel maps, the Trident Bay area) years ago, but hit a problem with the different locations for the Arm of the Immortals. But I think I'm coming round to Michele's idea that the Known World Grimoire maps were wrong, and the Savage Baronies map is the one to go by. So I will try to get back to it soon.

I don't really care about the Arm of the Immortals for this campaign, so I'd love to see what you've got with the sea as the border.

Oh, and thanks for the link to LoZampore's patchwork - didn't help as much as I'd hoped, I was looking for more of a political patchwork...
JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Postby JoeNotCharles » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 am

Just a heads up that I posted a Savage Coast map in the Mystara board (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=695), which I made by stitching together your 8-mile per hex VotPA-era "updated" maps. It's a fairly half-assed job but people might find it useful/interesting anyway.
JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Postby Chimpman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:25 am

I'd love to see a more detailed version of Karameikos. There is a great map of the Threshold region http://pandius.com/thrshld.html at the vaults. Something like this would be great as a player handout, however it would need two treatments done to be really useful, one for players and the other for DMs.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:16 am

Zendrolion's maps are already excellent, but I agree we could certainly have more. :D What scale would you want it at? Simone used a 2.7 mile per hex non-standard scale, which is actually great because it's the natural progression of the 8, 24, 72 pattern. But I'm not sure if I want to start introducing such scales... (I'm definitely interested in hearing people's opinions on this, though.) The official maps generally use either 1, 2, 4, or 6; of those I'd be happiest working in 2 or 4 miles per hex.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 pm

If we're voting, then I'd vote for the 2 miles per hex. Of course if you said "I absolutely have to do a 1 mile per hex map", I wouldn't stop you. ;)
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 am

Chimpman wrote:If we're voting, then I'd vote for the 2 miles per hex. Of course if you said "I absolutely have to do a 1 mile per hex map", I wouldn't stop you. ;)

Hehehe. Since it's basically double the work, I think you can guess my answer! ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby LoZompatore » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:30 am

I have a map request: what about a replica and an "up to date version" of CM7 Sylvan Realm map?
With the term "up to date" I mean using standard hex tiles for the whole map (hills, mountains, steppes, temperate forests, town, cities and the like) instead of the set of "old fashioned" contour lines for mountains, amateurish symbols for settlements and the like.

I bet such a representation would increase Sylvan Realm popularity among Mystara's fans. The map could be also updated with some bit of info taken from CM7 and Dragonlord Trilogy themselves.

What do you think about it?
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Thorf » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:08 pm

LoZompatore wrote:I have a map request: what about a replica and an "up to date version" of CM7 Sylvan Realm map?

Sounds good to me! :D Ever since I read GAZ5 I had the impression of the Sylvan Realm as a mysterious and wonderful country far, far away. Finally reading CM7 a couple of years ago was a bit of a let-down, but perhaps we could rectify that with a good hex map. 8-)

The first step for me is to make the replica map, which I actually am already ready to do. :geek: Then we can start throwing ideas around to make it better for an upgraded map. I'll see if I can get it done and posted in the next week or two. (Right now I'm working to finish the GAZ11 Darokin replica, and after that there's just Ethengar, Atruaghin and Thyatis to go and I'll be finished with the main Gazetteer replicas.)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Thorf wrote:
LoZompatore wrote:I have a map request: what about a replica and an "up to date version" of CM7 Sylvan Realm map?

Sounds good to me! :D Ever since I read GAZ5 I had the impression of the Sylvan Realm as a mysterious and wonderful country far, far away. Finally reading CM7 a couple of years ago was a bit of a let-down, but perhaps we could rectify that with a good hex map. 8-)

The first step for me is to make the replica map, which I actually am already ready to do. :geek: Then we can start throwing ideas around to make it better for an upgraded map. I'll see if I can get it done and posted in the next week or two. (Right now I'm working to finish the GAZ11 Darokin replica, and after that there's just Ethengar, Atruaghin and Thyatis to go and I'll be finished with the main Gazetteer replicas.)

Perhaps the map I made of the Sylvan Realm some time ago may be of use for such an updated map?

I made a few adjustments and added a few "extrapolated" names for geograpgic locations.

What could be really interesting is to see an extended map of the Sylvan Realm and its surrounding area such as has been indicated on some of Zompa's maps. The CM7 Sylvan Realm is really quite a small region.

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby LordJuss » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Hello,

Been absent for a while (lost the old boards when they went AWOL then haven't had time to look the for the new ones till now). Anyway, nice to be back.

As for maps I'd love to have...

I don't think anyone's done any replicas of the 72m/hex maps found in DotE and the PWAs. They show regions that don't appear anywhere else (Bellisaria, Esterhold, Minea and the area around Kastelios). I'd love to have them (not least so I could add them to my giant collected maps).

Cheers,

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Postby Thorf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:59 am

LordJuss wrote:Been absent for a while (lost the old boards when they went AWOL then haven't had time to look the for the new ones till now). Anyway, nice to be back.

Welcome back! :D

As for maps I'd love to have...

I don't think anyone's done any replicas of the 72m/hex maps found in DotE and the PWAs. They show regions that don't appear anywhere else (Bellisaria, Esterhold, Minea and the area around Kastelios). I'd love to have them (not least so I could add them to my giant collected maps).

Those four maps are indeed all on my list. I have even done a fair bit of work on the Dawn of the Emperors map, but it's not ready for publishing yet.

The reason it has taken me so long to do them is that they are all highly problematic sources; at that scale, even a small discrepancy in coastlines can push them off by whole hexes in the 24 and 8 mile per hex scales. And they all have the coastlines in slightly different places. :( Anyway, since I have revised my mapmaking plans to include replicas as well as updated maps, I should really go ahead and make at least the replicas, even if the updated versions will only follow much later.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby LoZompatore » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 pm

The reason it has taken me so long to do them is that they are all highly problematic sources; at that scale, even a small discrepancy in coastlines can push them off by whole hexes in the 24 and 8 mile per hex scales. And they all have the coastlines in slightly different places. :( Anyway, since I have revised my mapmaking plans to include replicas as well as updated maps, I should really go ahead and make at least the replicas, even if the updated versions will only follow much later.

IIRC you suggested to use coastlines from smaller scale map (24 mile/hex 8 mile/hex and so on) in order to set larger scale maps (72 mile/hex). I think it is the most pragmatic approach to this issue.
I noticed the discrepancies in coastlines between - say - DotE and PWAI 72 mile/hex maps, too, and I agree with you about the fact that a small difference involves large modifications in 24 mi/hex or 8 mi/hex. Anyway, I must notice that at least the large scale features are more or less kept among the various 72 mi/hex maps (i.e. I would estimate that discrepancies in coastlines never exceeds 1/3 of an hex in 72 mi/hex maps, and coastlines are seldom so different to be shown crossing two entirely different hexes).

If you use small scale map as a reference for coastlines (and rivers, lakes, plateauxs and other non-hexed features of the maps) you should be able to cover most of DotE 72 mile/hex map: Alphatia, Norwold, IoD, Pearl Islands, half of the Alatians are also shown in a 24 mile/hex or better scale maps, while almost half of Bellissaria is shown in a 48 mile/hex map in WotI. Maybe the biggest problem would be the exact relative placement of these lands, but you could also make an average when such distances are not explicitly shown in 24 mi/hex or 8 mi/hex maps. ;)
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Postby Seer of Yhog » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Another request, this one somewhat related to the Taymor map - how about a map depicting the Ierendi/Minrothad region between the two cataclysms? IIRC, the first quake sank some of the land and create one or two large islands (Mystaros named one of them Serpent Isle). A few centuries later the second quake broke up this island (or islands), creating the smaller islands we know today. GAZ 4 refers to this, as well.

Geoff

PS - I'd still love to see a Thorf treatment of my Selhomarr map, too! :D
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to Geographical Mapping