Map Request Thread

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Re: Map Request Thread

Postby multizar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:30 am

Thorf, it has bee a couple of months since anyone posted here. Do you have any updates for us on new maps? How about old maps or maps that have been redone because of other updated maps? :)
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com
multizar
Troll

Postby Thorf » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 am

multizar wrote:Thorf, it has bee a couple of months since anyone posted here. Do you have any updates for us on new maps? How about old maps or maps that have been redone because of other updated maps? :)

I'm working on it... Or rather, I hope to be working on it soon. November and December were a blur, and I was just far too busy to even keep up with the discussions here. Then my wife and I went back to Orkney to visit my family for three weeks. We just got back, and although right now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things (it's amazing the psychological effect of spending three weeks 6000 miles away), before too long I will hopefully discover some spare time that needs filling up. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby happylarry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi,

thanks for all the maps so far

a request! I'm hoping to start a Wendar based campaign soon, and therefore wondered if the Wendar map had moved on since 2006!

also - any chance of a Wendar map with the wildlands area to the north? at least to help make sense of the timeline

thank you!
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm

night_druid wrote:As a person who is fairly unfamiliar with Mystara:

Howabout a map (or series of maps) of Outer & Inner worlds with arrows pointing to the various regions mapped. I know where things are in the Known World, but there are some things I just don't know where they relate to on the world, such as Thunder Ridge.

Anyways just a suggestion for those of us not as intimately familiar with the setting as others ;)

I'd like that sort of thing too. But, I think I'd like some sort of webgadget that allowed people to mouse over a map of all of Mystara and see the name of the area you are pointing at. I'd also like the ability to zoom into certain areas (as well as the ability to flip between the Outer World and the Hollow World).

Has anyone had a look at how World of Warcrack do their maps? They have a lot of fansites that copy their maps and use extracts to show parts of the world.

Something I'd actually like to see is a world map (or maybe later two world maps) that was the same size as the map that comes with FRCS. However, I don't own an A0 colour printer, so have no idea how I could get one out of the internet and into my D&D poster tubes.

PS: Thunder Ridge? :? Is that the HackMaster version? ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Thorf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:37 am

I seem to have missed replying to this one. Sorry it's about a month late!

happylarry wrote:thanks for all the maps so far

You're very welcome. :D

a request! I'm hoping to start a Wendar based campaign soon, and therefore wondered if the Wendar map had moved on since 2006!

I'm afraid the answer is no. It is still in the same state as it was back then, which is to say getting there but not quite complete.

also - any chance of a Wendar map with the wildlands area to the north? at least to help make sense of the timeline

This is a tricky one... The Northern Wildlands area is not an official area, and I'm not covering fan-developed areas until I've finished working through all the official data. I will definitely remake Geoff's map eventually, and I'm sure it'll be part of the trail map for Wendar, Denagoth, Heldann and southern Norwold whenever I finally get round to doing it, but realistically speaking it might be a few years before I get that far.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:48 am

Big Mac wrote:I'd like some sort of webgadget that allowed people to mouse over a map of all of Mystara and see the name of the area you are pointing at. I'd also like the ability to zoom into certain areas (as well as the ability to flip between the Outer World and the Hollow World).

That sounds like a very nice idea. I still haven't been able to buy Adobe CS4 yet, but when I finally do, one of the things I want to do is look into using Flash to present things like this. I have no idea how difficult it would be to do, though.

It could be done with HTML too, but I don't think that would make it any easier. Also, using Flash means potentially being able to use the vector art for the maps, which could be wonderful (or hideously slow - I'm not sure which yet).

In any case this kind of interactivity is something I'd very much like to see later on. But for now I have to concentrate on mapping, and if I do try to do something like this it will undoubtedly take up a lot of time.

Has anyone had a look at how World of Warcrack do their maps? They have a lot of fansites that copy their maps and use extracts to show parts of the world.

That is a point... There may actually be sites out there with already-working systems for presenting maps like this, who may be willing to share their tools. It's worth checking into.

Something I'd actually like to see is a world map (or maybe later two world maps) that was the same size as the map that comes with FRCS. However, I don't own an A0 colour printer, so have no idea how I could get one out of the internet and into my D&D poster tubes.

Printed maps would be wonderful. I myself haven't printed any of my maps at all - I don't have access to a good printer here, and even if I did, I don't have the wall space. :( Someday I hope to use my father's photography business's printer to make some great posters, but it won't be for many years yet. Aside from anything else, I want to make absolutely sure there are no errors to correct before I go and print any maps!! ;)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby stanles » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 am

An evaluation response on the Vaults of Pandius asked about a map of Karameikos at 4 miles per hex or less.

cheers
shawn
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Karameikos at, say, 1 mile per hex? Not a problem. Thorf'll have that done before lunchtime. :lol:
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Andaire » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:31 pm

At this stage it would be a feat, but eventually...
Eventually, it's be nice to have a map of the world detailed enough that it can be used in NWN14 (the one with full virtual reality - you can feel that orcish blade pierce through your ribs) 8-)
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668
Andaire
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Not sure if this should be posted here or in OldDawg's Project, but I would really like to see Trade Map style maps covering the countries from the GazF series. OldDawg has talked about this, so it might be good checking with him so that noone steps on eachother's toes, but OD also seems to have alot on his plate, so the combined efforts of OD and Thorf might be what we need to see this through! :)

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Thorf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 am

Havard wrote:Not sure if this should be posted here or in OldDawg's Project, but I would really like to see Trade Map style maps covering the countries from the GazF series. OldDawg has talked about this, so it might be good checking with him so that noone steps on eachother's toes, but OD also seems to have alot on his plate, so the combined efforts of OD and Thorf might be what we need to see this through! :)

As far as I'm concerned - trading maps are definitely on my list. It's just a matter of creating the art, really. All those little icons will take a bit of doing.

Once the art is in place and I've released the first replica (probably GAZ9's maps), the art will be available for anyone to use in the same way my hex art is (i.e. you're free to use it as long as you credit me :) ).
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby CmdrCorsiken » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Is their a map of Fort Hobart (in Darokin) available? I do own a hard copy of the GAZ, but I would like to have a map of the fort to share with the playes on the play-by-post game I'm running.

Thanks.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.
CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Postby Chimpman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I'm not sure if this has been said before or not, but I'd love to see the Orcwars! map (from the mini-game with Gaz 10) done Thorf-style.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey, Thorf

When :!: you have some free time, I, for one, would like to see northern Skothar, at at least 24 mi per hex, but I'd also settle for 8mph :D
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Sirloin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 am

The Alphatian Emprie map from DotE would be nice as well.
Sirloin
Orc

Postby Hugin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:53 pm

Sirloin wrote:The Alphatian Emprie map from DotE would be nice as well.

There was a good map of Alphatia done recently called "Metropolitan Alphatia" somewhere here but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I believe it was at 24 miles per hex but it had a lot of info on it.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:22 am

I'd like to put in a couple related requests:
  • Adri Varma plateau (8 miles per hex) (sort of a duplicate request)
  • Denagoth (8 miles per hex)
  • Heldann Freeholds (8 miles per hex) (duplicate of an earlier request)
  • Updated combined Trail Map with the above maps, plus Sind (8 mile per hex), up to date Ylaruam with escarpment, up to date Darokin, and whatever else I missed since the last update :-)

(I have a local version of the trail map which I use, but since it was merged from the PNGs there are some unsightly borders around the pasted on portions.)

OK, I confess, it's all because the combined trail map just looks so cool, and I'd like more tacked onto it ;-)

As a side note, the Darokin expansion I'm working on may cover request 11 (GAZ11 + GAZ5 + PC1 + CM9), although your combined map places Fenhold well east of Dolos.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Takahiro Horie » Mon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Any Japanese Karameikos Map in here?
I must print out it in Huge Size for my campaign.
Takahiro Horie
Kobold

Postby Dave L » Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Takahiro Horie wrote:Any Japanese Karameikos Map in here?

I've not seen anything, but if you download Thorf's pdf from here, you should find that you can turn off the label layer in acrobat reader, which will enable you to save and print the map with no labels at all.

Not quite what you want, I know, but it will enable you to put your own labels on his excellent map.

Hope that helps.
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Mon May 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Takahiro Horie wrote:Any Japanese Karameikos Map in here?

Welcome to the Piazza Takahiro! :)

If what Dave said doesn't help you, Thorf might be able to help. He lives in Japan afterall :)

Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ashtagon » Mon May 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Here's my first pass at translating all the text from Thorf's map (http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/updated/_08_ ... ikos-8.png)

Political Divisions
-------------------

Grand Duchy of Karameikos - カラメーコスの公国
Estate of Marilenev - マリレネブの郡
Barony of Vorloi - ボーロイ郡
Estate of Dmitrov - ドミトロブ郡
Barony of Kelvin - ケルビン郡
Estate of Penhaligon - ペンハリゴン郡
Black Eagle Barony - 黒鷲郡

Settlements and Ruins
---------------------

Specularum - スペクラルム市
Kelvin - ケルビン市

Threshold - 玄関町
Riflian - リフリアン町
Highforge - 高冶町
Pengaligon - ペンハリゴン町
Dmitrov - ドミトロブ町
Vorloi - ボーロイ町
Fort Doom - 命運城
Luln - ルルン町

Verge - バージ村
Rugalov - ラガロブ村
Sulescu - スレスク村
Marilenev - マリレネブ村
Vandevicsny - バンデビチスニ村

Krakatos - コラカトス城
Koriszegy Keep - コリシェギ城

Duke's Road Keep - 高道城
Castellan Keep -後見城
Rugalov Keep - ラガロブ城
Radlebb Keep - ラドレブ城
Riverfork Keep - 川又城

Roads
-----
Eastron Road - 東道
Duke's Road - 高道
Westron Road - 西道

Demi-Humans and Monstrous Denizens
----------------------------------

Vyalia Elves - ビャリアのエルフ
Frost Giants - 寒巨人
Goblins of the Dymrak Forest - ダムラク森のゴブリン
Callarii Elves - カラリーのエルフ
The Lost Valley of Hutaaka - フターカの忘谷

Rivers and Water Features
-------------------------

Rugalov River - ラガロブ川
Highreach River (River Volaga) - 高伸川 (ボラガ川)
Castellan River - 後見川
Hillfollow River (River Shutturga) -
Windrush River (River Wufwolde) - 風波川 (ワフワルド川 狼山川)
Foamfire River - 発泡川
Achelos River - アケロス川
Gustos River - ガストス川 (^^;
Magos River - マゴス川
Cruth River - コラス川

Lake of Lost Dreams - 忘夢湖

Traldar Bay - トラルダー湾
Vorloi Bay - ボーロイ湾
Gulf of Marilenev - マリレネブ湾
Sea of Dread - 憂懼の海

Geographical Features
---------------------

Altan Tepes Mountains - アルタンテぺす山脈
Mount Pavel - パベル山

Wufwolde Hills - ワフワルド丘 (狼山丘)
Cruth Lowlands - コラス丘

The Moor - 原野
Blight Swamp - 粛殺の谷地

Dymrak Forest - ダムラク森
Radlebb Woods - ラドレブ森
Riverfork Woods (Achelos Woods) - 川又森 (アケロス森)

???
---
Haven - 休み所
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Takahiro Horie » Mon May 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Dave L wrote:I've not seen anything, but if you download Thorf's pdf from here, you should find that you can turn off the label layer in acrobat reader, which will enable you to save and print the map with no labels at all.

Thanks a lot! It's enough for me.
Takahiro Horie
Kobold

Postby Takahiro Horie » Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Havard wrote:If what Dave said doesn't help you, Thorf might be able to help. He lives in Japan afterall :)

I will search for him in Japanese SNS.thx!
Takahiro Horie
Kobold

Postby Gawain_VIII » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 am

Didn't Thorf have a copy of the Japanese RC? IIRC back on the old MMB, he posted some of the art to illustrate the differences, and I think some of the maps were included.
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Hugin » Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Didn't Thorf have a copy of the Japanese RC? IIRC back on the old MMB, he posted some of the art to illustrate the differences, and I think some of the maps were included.

I remember that thread. Thorf was amazed at what was done in Japanese. If memory serves, Mystara was given a slight anime look to its illustrations.
Hugin
Green Dragon

PreviousNext

Return to Geographical Mapping