[Outer World] Sind and Jaibul, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

[Outer World] Sind and Jaibul, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:50 am

Sind, 8 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.

Sources: GAZ14 The Atruaghin Clans (1991). Also X4 Master of the Desert Nomads (1983), X5 Temple of Death (1983), X6 Quagmire (1984), Dragon Magazine Issue 169, Champions of Mystara (1993).

References
  1. Sind - map development discussion thread at the Wizards MMB. (Unfortunately defunct, but see the Wayback Machine for a partial copy.)
Thanks to: Giampaolo Agosta (Agathokles), Håvard Faanes (Havard), Geoff Gander (Seer of Yhog), Hervé Musseau (Andaire), Giovanni Paniccia (Arcanda), Patrick Sullivan, Andrew Theisen (Cthulhudrew)
Last edited by Thorf on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Re: Outer World: Sind and Jaibul, 8 miles per hex

Post by JoeNotCharles » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Awesome, I've been waiting for this one!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:15 am

Looks good as always Thorf! I have a pet project involving Sind that I am working on so this will be very useful! :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 am

A bit off-topic, but don't you find it odd that Sind has so few cities and towns? IIRC Shajapur has, OTOH, very large cities.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:33 am

Andaire wrote:A bit off-topic, but don't you find it odd that Sind has so few cities and towns? IIRC Shajapur has, OTOH, very large cities.
It's not really a fair comparison, though; Hollow World civilisations tend to thrive in their new conditions. Shajapur has vastly better terrain than Sind, less threatening neighbours, and room to expand. Sind on the other hand has problematic neighbours all round, as well as being on the edge of a desert, with a huge swamp.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:09 pm

It is true that the Azcans have a huge empire too, or that the Traldar are much more extent than modern Traladara. I wonder how the Milenian Empire compares to its forebear at its height on Davania. We don't have as much info about the extent of the other civilizations; Nithia is larger than the modern Emirate of Nithia, obviously, but the Nithian Empire at its height ruled over the whole KW, to the SC, NW, DV, and the IoD.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 am

I just posted a new version of this map!

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/sind-8/

By the way, does anyone happen to have a saved copy of the original thread for this map at Wizards MMB? I have some saved, but not that one.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 pm

I managed to find the first page of the thread on the Wayback Machine. Better than nothing!

http://web.archive.org/web/200907281725 ... p?t=587390

stanles
Troll

Post by stanles » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Thorf wrote:I just posted a new version of this map!

By the way, does anyone happen to have a saved copy of the original thread for this map at Wizards MMB? I have some saved, but not that one.
Thorf, there's also the copies on the Secrets of the Archmages, here's the Sind thread http://secretsofthearchmages.net/Thread ... 045491.htm

Here is the message Havard sent when he came across this and some other stuff viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16450&view=unread#p184285

Oh, I just had a look at the main page, it's going to be offline March 3 ...
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks, Shawn!

It turned out it was just one post that was missing, but it's good to have the whole thing anyway.

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Some notes about Thorf's updated map of Sind at 8mph.

The label "Humanoids" in the south-western mountains of Kadesh maybe could be a little more precise, specifying the race of humanoids inhabiting this area. According to my old "Demografia Mystarana", the most numerous humanoid races of the Kurish Massif are ogres, gnolls, and bugbears (the latter in the eastern part of the range, mostly).

Dwarves form a small minority in Sind; they came here after the Glantrian Purge (805 AC), and settled in the "mountains of Nagpuri, Gunjab, Peshmir". Maybe one or two dwarven settlements could be added; the best places are anywhere in Gunjab, the mountain spur between Mahasabad and the Shehid Monastery, and the mountain slopes south-east of Karakandar or Jalbad. Possible names: Khalram, Kog Daral, Dholtaruhm.

Most rivers are without a name. For those located in the north-east, near Lake Hast, I'd use the names of the rivers featured on the westernmost fringe of GAZ3 original map - later superseded by CoM and WotI maps. The small rivers featured there are called Aifa, Kesh, and Dool. The river coming south from the western side of the Adri Varma is called "Black River" in Sturm's map of the plateau: to give it a more Indian flavor, it could be called Kaalee Nadee or Kaalee River. The river of Latehar could be the Lohang, while the two rivers coming down from the Kurish Massif to Karakandar could be the Jheskar and Chenlej rivers. Finally, the two rivers of Pramayama and Bangore could be called Yamdak and Dohibi rivers. (For the names I've meddled into the names of some RW Indian rivers.)

Some names also for the lakes featured inside the Salt Swamp, just in case you'd like to name them: Surajar, Rewashar, Punamkotta, Ansham, and Nachipadra.

Many settlements on the map lack a name. Advising you that I'm not an expert of Hindi language, I'm going to suggest some temptive name for those settlements, having taken some inspiration from RW map of India:

Azadgal: Changad Peb Keep, Payarghata, Satkhirat, Talkhata, Nakashwar, Rawatabad.
Baratkand: Diyyat, Bikamsar, Palinawas, Siwanapur, Jahazgarh, Amalnaon.
Jalawar: Bamargad, Javsar.
Peshmir: Kalyandurg Keep.
Putnabad: Jaisalgarh Fort.
Sindrastan: Mitbuhar, Viraparkar, Khairkur, Uttarlaya.

Feel free to use those names or to change them, I just devised them from scratch! ;)

Besides this, probably some more features could be added to the map - old temples, some ruins, rajas' palaces, mausoleums, huge stone statues of Immortals carved into stone, forts (or their ruins) built by the more powerful rulers of the past. Also, a short river or two in the Nagpuri plain, flowing into the Amsorak Lake, would be appropriate - even if in this case the river should then appear also on GAZ11 8mph map of Darokin.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: [Outer World] Sind and Jaibul, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:31 am

I've updated the map with almost all of your suggestions, Simone.

The next step is surely to incorporate some of Ignacio Ramos's ideas from Ramelin Mystara. Even though his version of Sind is a bit different, it's not hard to adapt some of his detailing work, which is top notch.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”