Outer World: Sind and the Great Waste, 24 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Sind and the Great Waste, 24 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Maps

Replica of Great Waste map from X4, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of Wild Lands map from X6, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, February 2006
Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of Sind map from Dragon 169, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image

Replica of Great Waste map from Champions of Mystara, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, August 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Updated map of the Great Waste, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, June 2005 (Out of Date)
Image Image Image

Comments

Sources: X4 Master of the Desert Nomads (1983), X5 Temple of Death (1983), X6 Quagmire! (1984), Dragon 169, Champions of Mystara (1993).

Notes on Updated map (Champions of Mystara)
To Do List
  1. Update X4 replica map and create original colours variant.
  2. Update X6 replica map, change hex art to old style, and create original colours variant.
  3. Make an original colours variant of the Dragon 169 map. (Currently not possible due to lack of high quality scan.)
  4. Make Updated First Era map by combining X4 and X6 maps and incorporating details from the pre-Gazetteer era.
  5. Check Champions of Mystara, X4, X5, X6 and other relevant sources for geographic details and write notes on the updated map.
  6. Revise updated map to conform better with Savage Coast maps from Dragon and Red Steel.
References
  1. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. Post 151 contains the Dragon 169 map, and there is some discussion of Sind in the following posts. Post 166 presented the Champions of Mystara Great Waste map, and again some discussion follows.
Thanks to:
Last edited by Thorf on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:39 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Edited references.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Sind and the Great Waste, 24 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:08 am

Update: I made some slight adjustments to the Champions of Mystara map and original colours variant, and updated the Dragon 169 map. I also uploaded PDFs of all three of these maps.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Update: Updated the X4 Great Waste map and added a PDF version. Fixed Dragon 169 PDF map link.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Update: Minor hex art update to Champions of Mystara replicas. I have re-uploaded both the PNGs and the PDFs.

Jd1137
Orc

Post by Jd1137 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:27 am

The champion's great waste map made one minor mistake, it moved lake hast one hex to north east which shorten the plains of fire by one hex line if u compare the x4 map to it. Because there should be 25 hexes between last row of salt marsh and the start of hill row hex to the south of great pass area on the x4 and would also shorten the coast area by jaibul.

Jd1137
Orc

Post by Jd1137 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:49 pm

Another mistake is the arrangement of hexes starting at mountain hex north of haw an village the going NW in that row. In x4 map it followed by hill hex, 4 grassland hexes, 1 hill hex, 2 grassland hexes, then 2 more hill hexes. Which would mean the black mountains are one hex off and would need to move 1 hex to SW, and u would have to move the associated coasts one hex too.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Jd1137, thanks for your input! :) In regards to this sort of change, my policy is to go by the most recent source — with a few exceptions (such as Red Steel and Savage Baronies).

Consequently, I consider Dragon 169 and Champions of Mystara to be the most authoritative sources for this area. Even if an error was introduced in those maps, they provide far more detail of the area than the X4 map, which is practically empty.

I believe the error came first in Dragon 169's Sind, by the way, but its adoption thereafter means it would be counter-productive to try and fix it now. And I've found this to be the consensus in the community in general — best not to invalidate the poster maps whenever possible.

Of course, it doesn't mean you can't use X4's map. Let's face it, in terms of game use, this is a hugely minor issue, and the players are never likely to notice. ;)

Jd1137
Orc

Post by Jd1137 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Would u be interest in at least looking at how I came to this and to the other posts in other topics. It could even may be help in the line up of other maps. I could email the whole collection of hand drawn enlargements from the master set map. I would like u opinion on them as u are the communities best map maker by far even u don't u use any of it. The first would be a exact copy of the master set onto a 1/5 hex graph paper, then enlarged by 1/50 or full size 50 by subdividing each 1/5 hex by 4 hexes across. Then a further enlargement to 24 mile map so I could find all the real errors my brain kept telling me that were there.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:35 am

Sure, I'd love to see your work. :)

However, I think our methodology is rather different: it sounds like you are working from small scale (world map) to large scale, while my project takes things the other way round, starting with large scale (first 8, then 24 mile per hex maps) and working in the small scale stuff in the best way I can find.

Whichever way you go, there are a whole host of problems, of course. But the community consensus seems very much to be to preserve the detailed hex maps at the expense of the world map and the bigger picture.

None of this in any way invalidates that position, and I should note that I have been strongly inclined to impose the structure of the bigger picture on the hex maps numerous times during my project. But I want these maps to satisfy as much of the community as possible, so I have to work with the consensus view.

By the way, have you seen my Lining Up Mystara project? http://www.thorfmaps.com/lining-up-mystara-i/

Return to “Geographical Mapping”