Outer World: Platea, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Outer World: Platea, 8 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Maps

Map of Platea, 8 miles per hex by John Calvin, December 2010 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image

Comments
This map of Platea covers a portion of central Davania.

Sources:

Unofficial Maps:North West Platea (2010) by yellodingo,South West Platea (2010) by yellodingo, Platea 72mph (2010) by LoZompatore, Modified North West Platea (2010) by LoZompatore, Platea Racial Regions (2010) by Giampaolo Agosta

Notes on XXX
To Do List
  1. Continue to name all major geographical features.
References
  1. Platea: a challenge to the community
  2. Toadlings, the Ahr-Rhbbyk
Thanks to: Thorfinn Tait, for providing some wonderful graphics to use in all of our mapping projects. Thanks to LoZompatore and yellodingo for developing the initial maps. Thanks to Giampaolo Agosta for developing the initial racial maps.
Last edited by Chimpman on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Outer World: Platea, 8 miles per hex

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Great starting point :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

multizar
Troll

Post by multizar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Nice generic areas for fleshing out :)
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:12 pm

I think the area in the SE corner needs a few more vowels.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks guys! I have a version that incorporates GP's racial region labels as well, which I'll try and incorporate later today.
Ashtagon wrote:I think the area in the SE corner needs a few more vowels.
:mrgreen: Blame hyrieus for that one! ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Racial region labels also now added.

At this point I think I've incorporated most everything from the other maps out there. If not, please make reference of anything I've missed in this thread.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:09 am

Looks great! The only thing I would suggest for now is adding a few hexes of fertile land around the river in the east - perhaps bordered in some places by escarpments to create natural sheltered pockets. I'm thinking a few grassland hexes, maybe a couple of light forest or swamps (marshes) too. These could have seasonal (brown) rivers marked where the land becomes more fertile in the rainy season.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:01 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:Looks great! The only thing I would suggest for now is adding a few hexes of fertile land around the river in the east - perhaps bordered in some places by escarpments to create natural sheltered pockets. I'm thinking a few grassland hexes, maybe a couple of light forest or swamps (marshes) too. These could have seasonal (brown) rivers marked where the land becomes more fertile in the rainy season.
When you say the eastern river, do you mean the one coming in from the north of the map, or the one that makes its way through the desert area?

I like the idea for some escarpments as well, as well as for seasonal rivers (that's not something we see on a typical Mystaran map, but I think it'll work well here. Do you have any inclination to mark up a map and show us what you're thinking?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Mais oui! Coming right up.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Awesome! Doesn't have to be perfect either - As long as what's drawn will get the idea across.

And the same goes for any others. If you feel the inclination to take a portion of the map and mark it up, I'll do my best to incorporate the changes.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:35 am

Copied from other thread for easy reference:
hyrieus wrote:Xanacastro, a good magic point (ala Gaz5) is the focal point for fairy activity in Platea. here all varieties of fay can be found under the regency of Xana Mega their Queen. It is of course a hub of Woodrake activity though not their principal base. To mortal eyes it appears as a hill within the forest, surmounted by a single menhir and with a small lake at its base. To those who know the proper incantations or who have a fairy guide, access can be gained to a fairy realm where a proud castle of white stone tops the hill (the menhir can be found in a courtyard within it).

Nearby a joyful village is home to Sprites, Sidhe, Pooka and others. All are devoted to their Queen, a small and slender Sidhe often to be found combing her long brown hair. The Woodrake Burnwhistle may also be found here, acting as representative for the Flames of the Burning Brazier.

I'm taking the name Xanacastro (fairycastle) from Asturian mythology (ref Wikipedia of course), should provide some pointers for naming conventions for the fairies of this region.

As for the Halflings, have you considered them training Blink Dogs as hunting beasts?
hyrieus wrote:Macuajada, is likewise another good magic point and base for the Woodrakes of Platea (presumably one of the areas where they are most active with the elf, halfling and technology tensions). It is also the most likely location to meet Culebre the most ancient of the Woodrakes here and as such their nominal leader, though the Flames are too chaotic to observe formal chains of command. Initially appearing as a simple cave in the forest, those who can make the transition into Fairy will find a vast cavern into which housing have been carved along the walls. The cavern is lit from the reddish glow of the smelting pools in which items of technology are melted down well past repair. These metals are then passed on to the Colddrakes who distribute them amongst the Gnomes, these bearded diminutives are trusted as it is considered that their application of Fantasy Physics will not lead to Rainmaking.

Drakes prominent amongst the Flames include Mulaguita who travels amongst the halflings under the name Xica, disguised as one of their Masters (or whatever class gets settled on) and Smok who is heavily infiltrated within the Dyr.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:20 am

Here is my idea for seasonal rivers and the like. Brown lines are seasonal rivers (as per the official Sind map), and areas shaded in green would be clear land, bogs/salt marshes (B), or forest (dark green hexes - treat as oasis). These pockets of life wouldn't necessarily be lush, but they would sustain richer ecosystems than the surrounding lands.

Purple lines are escarpments, and H denotes hills.

So basically, in the spring the seasonal rivers are flowing, and the green patches are quite lush, and bogs/salt marshes are real swamps. In the dry season, the reduced water flow causes the swamps to dry out a fair bit, and the clear land would almost be like grassland, but could probably support shrubs and the like - maybe a few trees.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc29 ... a_8mph.png

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 am

I've updated the map with Seers suggestions, as well as changing out the dead trees for fungal forests. I'm still playing around with different colors for the glowing green pools.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

hyrieus
Bugbear

Post by hyrieus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I think the area in the SE corner needs a few more vowels.
I'm Welsh, vowels we don't need no stinking vowels :)

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:40 am

There's a point, just below the Servasta label, where a dry/seasonal river seems to travel UP a cliff... is there some magical method of this "reverse" waterfall, or should the riverbed end just before reaching the cliff-face?

Or perhaps the river-bed is creating a mini-canyon, in which case the cliff should probably be redrawn to show that.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:57 am

Hmmm... I automatically assumed that the rivers were flowing in the other direction - starting at the top of the plateau and running downward off the base of the cliff, finally connection to the main river (when they run at all). But I take the point. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a few hill hexes on the top of the plateau?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 am

Gawain_VIII wrote:There's a point, just below the Servasta label, where a dry/seasonal river seems to travel UP a cliff... is there some magical method of this "reverse" waterfall, or should the riverbed end just before reaching the cliff-face?

Or perhaps the river-bed is creating a mini-canyon, in which case the cliff should probably be redrawn to show that.
Nah - in my imagination there would be a little waterfall (when the river is actually flowing) - the river actually starts up on the escarpment, fed by seasonal rainfall.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Just going through the old Platea thread when I stumbled on this reference (which should be useful for the map). Moved here so I don't loose track of it.
hyreius wrote:The Servasta call themselves Kisongo (as per Dragon 247), they're noted for hunting underground creatures, is it possible that some tribes hunt the toadlings for their toadcrystals? Maybe there's some sort of crystal shaman class in the Plateau, found amongst the rakasta, elves, halflings and toadlings (who are particularly annoyed that other races feel the need to pry their crystals out of their foreheads to utilise their powers). They'd have some of the spell selections of the Shadowelf Shaman and be able to call upon some of the powers of Glantri's Radiance by exhausting their crystals.
hyreius wrote:Is it really a good idea to let the Camelogres to ally with the Sis'thik? The sis'thik already domesticate Xytar as cavalry. Six legged lizards, with two desert scourges atop, attacking with long spear, short bow and breath weapon. If you're worried that the Sis'thik are underpowered can't we return to the suggestion that they sometimes deploy blue dragons as air support?

I did imagine the Dromoni as notoriously bad tempered, I wouldn't have thought being half ogre would mellow a camels' attitude. They barely get along with one another, one humpers hate two humpers and the very idea they would let anything larger than a particularly large tick settle on their precious humps would be akin to suggesting to a dwarf that they shave their beard.

Dromoni could well be the gnomish name for them (i'm warming to Ogrumpk) the gnomes would only be familiar with the one hump tribes of this desert, two humpers could inhabit Izonda for example. They would be a large part of the reason gnome travellers in this region are so rare as the camelogres find them exceedingly tasty. They can be found as mercenaries, and can be bought off, generally by strong alcoholic beverages or camel barding to protect their beautiful 'umps but such alliances are always temporary.
Ar'ack and The Race: this could be a steep, winding, canyon inhabited by large nests of dangerous flying beasts. Griffons and thunderheads are a common sight above the canyon: many of them are charmed by a large group of harpies who gathered there and built the nest-like village of Ar'ack. Harpies usually have the charmed monsters hunting for them; sometimes they assemble a large group of flying beasts and raid the halfling villages in the southeastern forest. The canyon is called "The Race" because travelers had better spend as little time as possible in it.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Geographical Mapping”