Outer World: Known World, 48 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Known World, 48 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Maps

Replica of poster map from Wrath of the Immortals, 48 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Comments
This is the only official map made for the 48 miles per hex scale. As it is somewhat non-standard, an updated map is not high on my to do list.

On the other hand, this is one of the only maps to show the distribution of evergreen versus deciduous forest hexes in the Known World. Evergreen forest hex art was introduced in Wrath of the Immortals, so despite its slightly strange scale this map is a very useful source.

Sources: Wrath of the Immortals (1992).

Notes on Replica map (Wrath of the Immortals)
To Do List
  1. Create an updated map of the Known World at 48 miles per hex. (Low priority.)
References
  1. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. Post 609 contains the map, but there is no discussion about it at that point.
Thanks to: James (happylarry), Mike (metal), Simone Neri (Zendrolion)
Last edited by Thorf on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added references and acknowledgements.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: Outer World: Known World, 48 miles per hex

Post by Hugin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:26 am

Thorf wrote:On the other hand, this is one of the only maps to show the distribution of evergreen versus deciduous forest hexes in the Known World. Evergreen forest hex art was introduced in Wrath of the Immortals, so despite its slightly strange scale this map is a very useful source.
This piqued my interest but the map links show:
Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.
Any ideas why? :(

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:30 am

Thanks for letting me know. I forgot to change the folder name from 08 to 48 in the URLs! :oops:

Anyway it's fixed now. :geek:

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:55 am

Fantastic! Works fine now.

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 am

Great map - I'd forgotten about this one! It's quite a nice way of seeing the whole thing without loosing all the detail that sems to happen with 72 miles.

Isn't this also one of the few (only?) maps to give detail on the nations N of Wendar?

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:57 pm

happylarry wrote:It's quite a nice way of seeing the whole thing without loosing all the detail that sems to happen with 72 miles.
Unfortunately Denagothian Plateau's borders are a little weird on the east side... :?
Isn't this also one of the few (only?) maps to give detail on the nations N of Wendar?
There's also DotE's 72-miles poster map. But it doesn't show the Denagothian Plateau, unfortunately. Anyway, it's possible to interpolate both maps (WotI 48-m and DotE 72-m) to obtain a fairly accurate disposition of general terrain types north of Wendar. Basically it's what LoZompatore and I did on the Italian MMB years ago, drawing this 24-miles map.

I've also an updated version of this map - I'll see to upload it as soon as possible.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:53 am

I was just wondering, does anybody have any idea why TSR went with 48 mph on these maps?

Just wondering. :?
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

metal wrote:I was just wondering, does anybody have any idea why TSR went with 48 mph on these maps?

Just wondering. :?
Most likely because it's the scale that shows everything they want to show at the maximum printed size, without changing the standard size of the poster map or the printed size of the hexes. :)

Interestingly enough, I believe Bruce said at one point (possibly in a Princess Ark Letters section?) that the 8 miles per hex scale came about in a similar way: they just worked out the best scale that would allow a slightly bigger printed hex size and yet still show one country on each poster-sized sheet.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”