[Outer World] Darokin, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Outer World: Darokin, 8 miles per hex

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Another note for Thorf or anyone picking up on Thorf's work- from Gaz11, Player's Guide, center section (pp. 16-17): There is a trail marked between Akesoli, "Atruaghin," and Akorros, skirting Lake Amsorak's southern shores that is not marked on the 8 mi/hex map. The legend notes that it is a "new trail under construction as of AC 1000." This trail should be marked (and may be complete and/or a road by the time of 1010 AC and later era maps.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: [Outer World] Darokin, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf »

I've updated the Darokin map, and will be posting it tomorrow evening.

Simone, I incorporated a number of your suggestions. Sarsdell I wasn't sure where you wanted placed, so I haven't placed it for now. A couple of others seemed too tight to place at this scale.

I can't seem to remember where Farstead comes from... I was trying to write a note for it, but it defeated me.

Flameflicker
Kobold

Post by Flameflicker »

A quick observation: the GAZ11 entry on Ft. Lakeside specifically mentions that it falls within the "Amsorak Freehold", a borderland. The map shows a small "Amsorak" borderland east of the Ft. Lakeside area, that does not cover the area around the fort, being instead entirely east of the Ithel river.

antesse
Goblin

Post by antesse »

I was looking at the maps today and found something "wrong" that's bothering me just enough to bring up.

On the original map from the Gaz and the updated map, the city of Akesoli is a full hex inland from Lake Amsorak. This is despite it being described very much as a port town known for fishing and shipbuilding and lake commerce. The hex to the right on the lake shore seems like a much better place for the city even though that makes the roads and trade routes look less pretty. Or the lake should go in closer to the city to form a small bay. Or perhaps that land hex should be several small islands or marshes to allow lake traffic through but still be mostly land. I get the limitation of hex based mapping but this seems like a big deal.

Has anyone else seen this problem or am I just being nitpicky?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

No, I've had the same issue with it (and similar map locations elsewhere). I've just tended to chalk it up to what is- as you present- really an aesthetic issue, and handwave it as the city is actually located next to the lake, and that the suburbs (ranches, farms, etc.) extend well to the west beyond that, but that it just isn't quite as evident at that scale of mapping.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Bonetti
Fire Giant

Post by Bonetti »

I’ve always assumed that at 8 miles per hex (and even more so at 24 miles per hex), city placements are approximate (and they may or may not fill the whole hex). If it feels like it should be coastal, I treat it as such (like Akesoli and Akorros), regardless of the exact location it lines up with the hexes.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2017; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2018

Return to “Geographical Mapping”