[Outer World] Rockhome, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

[Outer World] Rockhome, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Rockhome, 8 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.

Sources: GAZ6 The Dwarves of Rockhome (1988), TM1 The Western Countries (1989), TM2 The Eastern Countries (1989), Rules Cyclopedia (1990).
Last edited by Thorf on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Added notes on GAZ6 and acknowledgements.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Rockhome, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 am

Problems with Rockhome's Rivers
The following is an excerpt from my old Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One thread at the Wizards MMB (20th February 2005):
Thorf wrote:The rivers in both Rockhome and the adjacent Northern Reaches are somewhat problematic.

To break things down:
  • Page 6 of GAZ6 implies that the Klintest River runs into Lake Klintest.
  • Page 46 explicitly states that the river "forms in Lake Klintest and flows east into a gorge in the Makkres Mountains."
  • Page 46 also states that the Kur River forms in Lake Klintest and flows east to the Sea of Dawn. The small source on the Kur River must therefore be a tributary.
  • The Kur River becomes/is known as the Vestfjord River in Vestland.
  • Page 8 of GAZ7 describes the Vestfjord River and another river, the Landersfjord, as "cutting through the Makkres Range to the west, reaching far into the Great Lakes region of Rockhome."
  • The Landersfjord River is described as being easily navigable to the town of Landersfjord. However, on all the maps the Landersfjord River is southeast of Landersfjord, and unconnected.
  • The river that does flow past Landersfjord is attached to the River Klintest, and has its estuary in Marsfjord. And indeed it is labelled as the "Klintest River" on GAZ7's map and TM2.

It looks to me as if there was a lot of confusion around this area. All the rivers can't flow into Lake Klintest, as page 6 of GAZ6 suggests - there has to be a runoff to somewhere. And it makes sense to me for the Klintest River to be the major runoff. Unfortunately, both the rivers described as flowing out of Lake Klintest (page 46 of GAZ6) have sources which make it look very much as if they flow into the river. The other river is the Kur, by the way, which is not actually labelled on the official maps.

The whole issue of Rockhome's rivers is a complete mess.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:43 pm

This was always a confusing issue with me. I have come to use only one outflowing river from Lake Klintest and that being the Hrap River flowing into Ethengar. Having a dual outflow from a body of water is a very unstable situation and not likely to last a long time.

The Kur River isn't even connected to the Vestfjord on the map so I don't even consider that it flows east from the Lake and into the Sea of Dawn.

Whatever is chosen as correct must take into account elevation.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:07 pm

It's possible for all the rivers to flow into (or out of) the lake if there's an inflowing or outflowing portal to the Plane of Water at the bottom!

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:40 pm

Update: Added some missing lines to the plateau on the GAZ6 replica maps (PNGs and PDFs).

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am

Just a note on the Evekarr Road thing: There is a possibility that the road on TM1 is shown cutting through the mountains because there may be dwarvish settlements in those mountains that need to be serviced by some sort of road. If it were a human (or non-dwarven community), having the road run alongside the shore of Lake Klintest would be the likeliest route, but with dwarves it doesn't necessarily follow. Just to raise the possibility (though I do agree that Gaz6's version is probably the more correct. I recall Bruce saying they used to put all those symbols and things on the maps by hand, so maybe the TM version just got knocked out of whack a little.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:18 am

That's a very interesting point, Andrew. Good thinking. :D

But I still think the main road would go by the easiest path where there is a choice. Besides, GAZ6 is the priority source.

On the other hand, we can still use your idea for detail maps - in fact we could use both roads, with a side-road leading through the edge of the mountains before rejoining the main road.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am

Good idea. Like I said, I think your idea is probably the likeliest of the two, but it did occur to me that the alternative I presented might be a rationale for the other route, if you had decided you liked that notion better.

Come to think of it, that might make a more interesting detail map (at least at larger scales): whereas in most nations, you'd find the majority of settlements along the major road through least difficult terrain, on the large scale Rockhome map, that road would have few to no settlements, while the mountainous side path would have a lot. All the other races shake their heads at those nutty backwards dwarves. :lol:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:10 am

Notes on GAZ12
  • Makkres Mountains - "To the east [of Ethengar], the Makkres range towers up to a height of 15,000 feet". (GAZ12 DM's Guide page 6a)

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:31 am

Notes on GAZ6
  • Evemur – this settlement is marked as a city on all official maps, but GAZ6 (page 55a) lists its population as standing at 12,000. This would make it a large town. The text twice refers to it as a city, but the same is true of other settlements detailed in GAZ6, such as Kurdal (population 2,000) which is also repeatedly called a city. It seems clear that Evemur should be marked as a town.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 am

I've released a new updated map. I referred to the X1/Expert Set Known World map, and concluded that the rivers were joined up incorrectly in GAZ6 and GAZ7; this region is obscured by a label on that map. Landersfjord should obviously flow past Landersfjord as GAZ7 says it does, so I divorced the Klintest River from that river (as is clearly shown on the X1 map), then cut the link to Marsfjord and instead linked it to Landersfjord.

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/rockhome-8/

Return to “Geographical Mapping”