Outer World: Known World, 24 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Known World, 24 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Known World, 24 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.

Replica of map from X1 (1983), 24 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of map from X3, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of map from X10, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, February 2013
Image Image Image

Combined replica of maps from Wrath of the Immortals, 1004 AC, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Replica of map from Wrath of the Immortals, 1010 AC, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, July 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Sources: X1 The Isle of Dread (1981), X3 Curse of Xanathon (1982), Dungeons & Dragons Expert Rules Set 2 (1983), X1 The Isle of Dread (1983), X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield (1985), Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia (1991), Wrath of the Immortals (1992), Champions of Mystara (1993). Also X4 Master of the Desert Nomads (1983), XSOLO Lathan's Gold (1984), X8 Drums on Fire Mountain (1984), GAZ1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos (1987), GAZ2 The Emirates of Ylaruam (1987), GAZ3 The Principalities of Glantri (1987), GAZ4 The Kingdom of Ierendi (1987), GAZ5 The Elves of Alfheim (1988), GAZ6 The Dwarves of Rockhome (1988), GAZ7 The Northern Reaches (1988), GAZ8 The Five Shires (1988), GAZ9 The Minrothad Guilds (1988), GAZ10 The Orcs of Thar (1989), GAZ11 The Republic of Darokin (1989), GAZ12 The Golden Khan of Ethengar (1989), Dawn of the Emperors (1989), TM1 The Western Countries (1989), TM2 The Eastern Countries (1989), PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk (1989), PC3 The Sea People (1990), GAZ14 The Atruaghin Clans (1991), PC4 Night Howlers (1992), Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure (1994), Glantri: Kingdom of Magic (1995).

References
  1. What is the "Known World"? - discussion thread at the Wizards MMB.
  2. Known World - and Not-So-Known - Lost Woodrake's discussion thread at the Wizards MMB.
  3. 24 miles per hex vs. 8 miles per hex: Oh Dear - discussion thread at the Wizards MMB.
  4. Thorf's Secret Project: Stage One - the original Atlas of Mystara thread at the Wizards MMB. Post 229 contains the 1010 AC replica map, while post 248 has the 1004 AC combined replica and post 348 gives the original colours variant - the first original colours map I released. Post 349 contains the Rules Cyclopedia replica.
Thanks to: Marco Dalmonte (DM), Mike (metal), Simone Neri (Zendrolion).
Last edited by Thorf on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.

metal
Stone Giant

Re: Outer World: Known World, 24 miles per hex

Post by metal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:26 am

A very nice set of maps! The black and white maps reminded me of the "good old days".

I do have a question (not sure if this the right place). Has anyone fleshed out the random islands in the Sea of Dread between the Know World and the Ilse of Dread?
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:10 am

Well, there were some very scant details in the module XSOLO Lathan's Gold, so we have (simple) names for most of them (for which see LoZomaptore's image here). And there has been some development of the small islands (which you can see here at the Vaults), although most people seem to have concentrated on the Thanegioth Archipelago. The biggest thing I've seen is Cab's Arachne stuff, which are the first three articles on that page at the Vaults.

Actually this topic is quite relevant to an ongoing topic over in the main Mystara forum - Minrothad-based, sea campaign resources. :)

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:25 am

metal wrote:I do have a question (not sure if this the right place). Has anyone fleshed out the random islands in the Sea of Dread between the Know World and the Ilse of Dread?
Yes, details come mostly from XSOLO1, X8, and PC3. You can see the results on these maps (which were did in "hexed" version after LoZompatore's discoveries in the modules):

Geographical Map
Political Map

I made them with Italian labels, unfortunately. Some translations for you (only for the Sea of Dread area):

Atollo delle Termiti = Termites' Atholl (XSOLO1)
I. degli Insetti = Insects' Island (XSOLO1)
I. dei Tifoni = Typhoons' Island (AC10 - it's the island of "Isle of the Storm Giant" adventure)
I. del Ragno = Spider Island (XSOLO1)
I. del Terrore = Isle of Dread (X1)
I. di Alvar = Isle of Alvar (non-canon: it's meant to be the old land where the Belcadiz elves fled after the BC 1700 catastrophe)
I. Senza Nome = Nameless Island (XSOLO1 & PC3; I identified the island with the shark-kins' Island of Dried Skins from PC3)
Isolotto degli Scheletri = Skeleton Key (XSOLO1)
Isolotto Orientale = Eastern Key (XSOLO1)
Isolotti delle Tre Sorelle = Three Sisters' Keys (XSOLO1)
La Montagna Infuocata = The Burning Mountain (XSOLO1)
Roccia dei Pirati = Pirates' Rock (XSOLO1)
Teki-nura-ria = [the same] (X8)

Numbered locations in the Sea of Dread area comes mostly from GAZ8 and PC3.
As you see, there are still some islands (like the two to the east of Teki-nura-ria) which don't have any canon name.

As a side note for Thorf, I made these map taking into account the changes to terrains that were to be made to KW's 24-m map becouse of the GAZ-series' 8-m maps. So, they'd be "updated". Perhaps they're of some usefulness to you. ;)
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks. Those are beautiful maps!

Do any of these islands have a story connected to them?
metal
Long live Mystara

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 am

metal wrote:Thanks. Those are beautiful maps!

Do any of these islands have a story connected to them?
Thanks! :) (In fact, I've tried to stay true as most as possible to Thorf's style, which is the best 8-) )

Details can be catched from XSOLO1 about most of the islands. They've been summed up there by Daniel Boese (bottom of the page).

About Teki-nura-ria, the island's history is quite well told by X8. Most of the smaller (i.e. numbered on the map) come from PC3 and are simply volcanic atholls. The islands described in GAZ8 have some details more. Nameless Island (aka Island of Dried Skins) instead it's told in PC3 to host a timely migration of shark-kins (IIRC) and is considered sacred ground.

On of the most interesting is Skeletons' Key, which in XSOLO1 is told to have been the site of a battle within the Aquapopulus War: mermen butchered a garrison of human soldiers defending the island. On the Italian MMB we thought this could be the result of an early attempt by Ierendi and/or Minrothad to use these islands as trading posts toward Davania - effectively countered by the merrows' Twaelar Empire.
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:38 am

I was just wondering because if they don't have canon details then they are open for us to fill in.
metal
Long live Mystara

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:02 am

Update: Uploaded most recent versions of the Rules Cyclopedia replica maps, along with PDF versions.

The other maps will be updated and get PDF versions hopefully before too long. The sheer number of versions of the Known World map that appeared is really quite daunting, although the differences between them all are quite minor.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

I just posted minor updates to the X1 1981 and Expert Set 1983 Known World maps. I have also posted a new map: the X10 Known World map.

Replica of map from X10, 24 miles per hex by Thorf, February 2013
Image Image Image

The changes to the two replica maps bring them closer to the originals by adding in the masking behind text labels in the Northern Reaches area. These masks made the labels legible, but they also hid some crucial elements from view. And since everything stems from these maps, that's quite a major point of note.

Take a look at the top right of the X1 (1981) map, and you'll notice that the Ostland islands as well as the fjords and rivers of Vestland and Soderfjord are all partially obscured. Next, look at the Expert Set (1983) map, and you can see that the islands of Ostland have changed. There is now a small extra fragment clearly visible, which was not present on the X1 map. X10 has yet another interpretation of this area, with the islands now linked by a narrow isthmus.

In the case of the fjords, things are really mixed up, with the end result being the Landsfjord fiasco in GAZ7's map.

All of these interpretations are valid, of course, since the original map effectively hid the area. (Although examining X1 closely, I now notice that there are whited-out areas still visible showing the presumed extent of the islands.) It's interesting how each map dealt with the problem slightly differently over time. GAZ7's map is of course the definitive source for the area, so it's not really a problem that needs worrying about. But it may well be worth fixing the Landsfjord problem through reference to the original map.

The X10 map has many other problems, of course. Its design as a game board as well as a map gives it some unique features, and of course a very selective mix of cities and towns shown; those shown are marked only as capitals, cities, and villages. There's also a border difference between Darokin and the Five Shires, with a couple of hexes near Athenos becoming part of Darokin.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”