Outer World: The Five Shires, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Outer World: The Five Shires, 8 miles per hex

Postby Thorf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:28 pm

The Five Shires, 8 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.
Last edited by Thorf on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: The Five Shires, 8 miles per hex

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Mistmyr/Myskmir

I'd personally be inclined to go with the text, here. Considering that it is named after the "roiling mists" that are created by the waterfall, and that there is no such word as "Mysk". I suppose you could argue that Mysk/Misk is just some old Lalor word, but I think it's just a matter of a typo on the behalf of the cartographers.

Edit: On a semi-related note, I attempted to make a 1 mi/hex map of several of the Shires at one point, but sadly- the sparse population of the Shires left for a lot of empty territory, and I kind of gave it up. The population centers listed with their numbers didn't leave for much in the way of additions (though I toyed with adding a new population center marker for populations of less than 100 to represent homesteads/hamlets on that scale.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby JoeNotCharles » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:43 am

Hmm, I wonder if Castle Mistamere was named after Mistmyr. The Five Shires is a neighbouring country, perhaps Gygar visited and had some attachment to the place.
JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Postby Thorf » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:56 am

Andrew, I agree with you about Mistmyr. In fact I'm inclined to go with the text over the map(s) on most if not all of the points I noted. Things like Aergruth for Aercruth, Lake Hiadim for Lake Hindim, and Miskmyr for Mistmyr seem like very obvious typos to me. All three of the names have clear antecedents defined in the text (Cruth, Hin, and mist).

You could make an argument for obscuring the rather obvious roots of these names, but personally I think I prefer the text names, so I'll probably go with them on the updated map.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby LoZompatore » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:55 am

Dungeon Magazine 48 adventure "Them Apples" is set in the Shires (IIRC the starting town is Wereskalot). Anyway, I'm afraid that most of the info here do not fit very well with the GAZ map.
For example, the "Elexa's Endeavor" adventure (Dungeon # 53) is set not far from "Them Apples" (both of them are written by the same author, Christopher Perkins), but map an places shown here are quite different from any known locations in the Karameikos/Five Shires area. :|

On another matter, I remember that X10 ("Red Arrow Black Shield") diplomatical section about the Five Shires describes some kind of ruins/crypt where a part of the Dagger of Cymorrakk is kept: in your opinion is it possible to place them in the map?
LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Return to Geographical Mapping