[Outer World] Darokin Tunnel, 4 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

multizar
Troll

Re: Outer World: Darokin Tunnel, 4 miles per hex

Post by multizar » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:14 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
multizar wrote:No, the only picture of dwarven big weapons is The Dwarven Mechanical Light Catapult. I do not recall where the picture of dwarven tunnel traps are, but I have seen them before in something..... :oops:
Just checked- it's on the inside cover of the Gaz. Tunnel with an acid trap. (Knew I'd seen it somewhere. :D )

Yeah, my scan does not have the inside covers as part of the .pdf :x

Looks like I will have to pull out my hardcopy and scan them.
I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Update: Minor hex art update, and I uploaded PDF versions too.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Re: Outer World: Darokin, 8 miles per hex

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:52 am

Since we're certain of the location of the "Darokin Tunnel" on the Rockhome map, we should indicate on the Darokin map where it emerges. This would be in the northwest-most mountain hex in the Altan Tepes Borderlands, directly east of of the HOBART label.

Moderator note: I moved this post from the Darokin, 8 miles per hex thread so that we can keep all discussions of the Darokin Tunnel in one place.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 am

It seems I never got to replying to this last year.
Belathauzer wrote:With this in mind, the Darokin Tunnel could be more of a series of interconnected natural and man(or rather dwarf)-made paths consisting of valleys, passes, caves, tubes, and at times even tunnels. The "way" would only be known to those who have walked it before and the knowledge would be passed along by guiding others. Mapping it would be considered sacrilege as the dwarves would not want this information to fall into the wrong hands. There could even be a society of dwarves who act as guardians; maintaining the routes, providing shelter, and acting as guides and defenders of the "tunnel". The peoples of Darokin & Alfheim, at a loss for how the dwarves were passing, created the legend of the "Tunnel". The dwarves have decided to let the name stick as both a badge of honor and also as a means of disinformation ... <snip>
I think this is the best conclusion so far. Nice job! :)

The idea of having a secretive society of guardians especially cements the idea, because I still think that the dwarves would never leave this entrance into their country unguarded, but on the other hand they wouldn't want to spend a lot of resources on keeping it secure when it's already pretty safe due to its obscurity. Having a small group of dwarves tasked with guarding it means forces can be better used in areas of more immediate danger without leaving the Tunnel completely unguarded.

In keeping with the propaganda of the Darokin Tunnel, they would probably be called the Tunnel Guards.

Now, as far as marking this on the 8 mile per hex maps goes, does anyone have any opinions? Should I go ahead and mark the more detailed trail and tunnels/passes, or should it be left in the current vague form?

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:46 am

CmdrCorsiken wrote:Since we're certain of the location of the "Darokin Tunnel" on the Rockhome map, we should indicate on the Darokin map where it emerges. This would be in the northwest-most mountain hex in the Altan Tepes Borderlands, directly east of of the HOBART label.
Assuming that we do want to mark the detailed version of the Darokin Tunnel on the 8 miles per hex maps, I think this is a good idea.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Thorf wrote:Assuming that we do want to mark the detailed version of the Darokin Tunnel on the 8 miles per hex maps, I think this is a good idea.
That raises the question of how much detail do we want on the maps? If the main purpose of the maps is to be a DM resource, then the more detail the better. If, as I have done occassionally with the original poster maps, we want to use the maps to lay out in front of the players, then less detail is better.

[Isn't this concept being discussed somewhere esle? I think I remember having seen it.]

Since I've been collecting and discussing your mapping project, I have come to believe that these maps should be designed for DM use, meaning the more detail we can get on them, the better. Thus, I'm in favor of putting this detailed 'Tunnel' map on the 8 mph Darokin map.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:59 pm

CmdrCorsiken wrote:That raises the question of how much detail do we want on the maps? If the main purpose of the maps is to be a DM resource, then the more detail the better. If, as I have done occassionally with the original poster maps, we want to use the maps to lay out in front of the players, then less detail is better.

[Isn't this concept being discussed somewhere esle? I think I remember having seen it.]

Since I've been collecting and discussing your mapping project, I have come to believe that these maps should be designed for DM use, meaning the more detail we can get on them, the better. Thus, I'm in favor of putting this detailed 'Tunnel' map on the 8 mph Darokin map.
There's another issue (which is probably what was being discussed elsewhere - Piedmont in the Ylaruam thread, perhaps?), which is how much detail to show at this scale as opposed to even larger scale maps. There is an argument for keeping the really small details for the large scale maps and having a certain degree of generalising in the smaller scale maps. So what I'm really asking here is whether we want to show the full detail of the Darokin Tunnel at this scale, or keep it generalised like it was in the official maps.

Interestingly, this issue reoccurs when going from 8 to 24, 24 to 72, and 72 to world map; at each transition you have to decide what to keep and what to throw away.

Now, about maps for players... One of the cool things about the PDFs is that you can turn on and off layers. You can only choose between the layers I use to make the maps, so it's not perfect, but it should often be possible to get incomplete maps to give to players by working from the PDFs. :D (And it's certainly possible for me to customise this so that it becomes more functional, for example by putting certain things on their own layers. It would even be possible to make DM-only layer, or perhaps a layer to hide things players shouldn't know about - the latter might be easiest to implement.)

In any case, I think the easiest thing to do with the Darokin Tunnel is to try adding it and see how it works out. Going from 4 to 8 miles per hex will probably leave it quite visible, so it'll probably be okay.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: [Outer World] Darokin Tunnel, 4 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Almost ten years later, and I have finally finished and posted the updated map.

http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/darokin-tunnel-4/

Return to “Geographical Mapping”