Icosahedron Template for Gimp

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Birchbeer
Shade

Icosahedron Template for Gimp

Post by Birchbeer »

I've been experimenting with this for a few months now, and was wondering if anyone has a script for gimp or not to create this? I've found a couple of templates on line which I've resized and pasted into images but I'd prefer something more elegant. I've tried contacting Isomage as I saw he was working on a script for Traveller style Icosahedron maps, but he has been hard to get a hold of (and his site is down as of the last few months). Has anyone ever worked on the scripting within Gimp? I'm tempted to start working on a map template generator.

Here is a sample I made with a template image I resized (derived off of a map I liked, hint it's flipped;)

PS... something about the traveler style hex style maps that doesn't work with the hex maps we make is it's got the orientation rotation. This doesn't work with Mystara hexes at all, so I need to rotate it to be normal flat up/down on the upper lines. I've also noticed this with the templates TSR made with their world builder's guide which was also quite disappointing.

Culture20
Bugbear

Re: Icosahedron Template for Gimp

Post by Culture20 »

Are you looking just for something that draws some empty hexes and (and a few pentagons) like the hexGIMP script? I'm a little familiar with LISP, so I might be able to tweak hexGIMP to do it.

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

I think Gimp is great for the hexes, but yeah. Ideally, I'd like to have another layer overlay a polygon structure over the hexes. This way it would scale with the size of the map (though I think you'd need constraints for the map size to fit the overlay properly.)

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

A side question.. is there any reason for the hexes for the Mystara maps is flat on top and bottom? Is there any reason why it couldn't have been rotated a different way?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Maybe because this way it is easier to print hex numbers on top: the first hex map derived from wargames, and had numbering on the top side.

GP

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer »

Thanks GP that would make a lot of sense. :)

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie »

See also http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2008/04 ... nal-tiles/
Wikipedia has a good animation of how to draw a hex from a circle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon

Even before Gettysburg (the wargame), hexagonal chess used it (invented the year after the actual war).

It has the drawback of making it difficult to measure distances in a straight line opposite to the tiling.
A typical Mystara map of 24 mile hex, counting along the x-axis, you have to alternate between 27.71 miles for a wide hex, and 13.86 miles for a short hex. Depending on which width hex you start off with.
So we'd just count along the y-axis instead :)

Return to “Geographical Mapping”