Mapping: Reefs

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Mapping: Reefs

Post by Cthulhudrew »

Hey, Thorf-

Something I've been meaning to ask for a long while, but always forget. How do you map your reefs? On some of your maps, it looks like you've got a separate Reef symbol (City States; although I can't tell what layer it is on- over the water, but somehow under the land?); on other maps, it looks like you just draw an area of reefs and fill it with a reef swatch (Minrothad Guilds).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Mapping: Reefs

Post by Chimpman »

I can't speak for Thorf, but I use a "reef hex" and then just go back and remove the edges to make it look more natural.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

I generally just draw a shape and fill it with one of my reef patterns. That sits on the Settlements/Roads layer along with lighthouses and shipwrecks, which means it appears over the sea. Any appearance of them going under the land probably results from just cutting the shape at the border with the land.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew »

That's what I've been doing with it right now, but I didn't know if you had some other way of implementing it (you're the Illustrator expert, and I am but the learner. :lol: )

I was thinking of trying something new with the Caerdwicca map I'm redoing, but am not sure how to implement it, if possible. I was thinking of trying to make a coastal sea/deep sea coloration, but blending them together, so it's a gradual transition. I would probably have to use the fill function, rather than create a livepaint group, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is even possible, or if you've ever tried something like that?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf »

Cthulhudrew wrote:That's what I've been doing with it right now, but I didn't know if you had some other way of implementing it (you're the Illustrator expert, and I am but the learner. :lol: )

I was thinking of trying something new with the Caerdwicca map I'm redoing, but am not sure how to implement it, if possible. I was thinking of trying to make a coastal sea/deep sea coloration, but blending them together, so it's a gradual transition. I would probably have to use the fill function, rather than create a livepaint group, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is even possible, or if you've ever tried something like that?
What you want is a gradient fill. But in order to make it flow correctly in an irregular shape, you would have to do quite a lot of fiddling. I think it may be doable with CS6's new stroke gradients, where you can make the gradient flow from one side to the other side of a stroke. This would allow us to have pretty gradients between sea levels just with a few clicks. As for making the whole sea into one big gradient, that might be a bit harder, though not impossible to do.

I can make up a mockup later if it helps. I'll have to have a fiddle before I can give a definitive solution.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”