Outer World: Grondheim 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Chimpman
Hadozee

Outer World: Grondheim 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:35 am

Maps

Map of Northern Grondheim, 8 miles per hex by John Calvin, July 2012 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image Image

Map of Southern Grondheim, 8 miles per hex by John Calvin, July 2012 (Work In Progress)
Image Image Image Image Image

Comments
These maps of Grondheim in 2300 BC cover portions of current day (1000 AC) Karameikos, Alfheim, the Broken Lands, and Glantri.
The features are currently incomplete, however I'd like to get input from the group in filling out the rest of the areas.

Sources:

Unofficial Maps: Taymora BC 2300 by John Calvin, Taymora BC 2300 with cities by John Calvin, Geopolitical map of Taymora (2004) by Giampaolo Agosta.

Notes on XXX
  • I've added 2 locations from GP's Cruth Lowlands work - The Mound, and The Turnwood.
To Do List
  1. Continue to name all major geographical features.
References
  1. Outer World: Taymora 2300 BC, 24 miles per hex
  2. Historical Mapping in the KW and Sea of Dread
  3. Lords of the Cruth Lowlands
  4. Karameikos developing thread
Thanks to: Thorfinn Tait, for providing some wonderful graphics to use in all of our mapping projects. Thanks also to agathokles, RobJN, and Sturm for contributing to discussions that have helped to flesh this map out.
Last edited by Chimpman on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Outer World: Grondheim 2300 BC, 8 miles per hex

Post by Seer of Yhog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:02 am

Awesome!
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:33 am

Well, its mostly empty, but GP's recent work prompted me to take a look at it again. I didn't place Kosti Kopec on this iteration, but it ends up pretty much in between the Fey Mound and the Lost Valley. I'm starting to think that this whole area might have been a hot spot for the Grondheim Fey. Before Koskatep, was Kosti Kopec, it was Krystallic - the Crystal Caves, and a site of great power that connects the Material Plane to the Realm of Faerie. They Fey would have left this site mostly in its natural state, but once the Inti, Taymorans, and after them the Nithians move in, much of the original caves would have been re-worked.

This also brings up the question - could some portion of the Lost Valley also be of Grondheim/Fey origin? Could they have occupied the area before the hutaakans moved in?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 am

If the Lost Valley were to be home to fey, I would think they would be of a mountainous type, rather than forest-dwelling. A perfect haven for, say.. trolls....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Great maps to give a visual of the region at the time. Not that I love historical maps or anything. ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

I've updated the Southern Grondheim map by adding the following locations:
- Krystallac (what will one day become Kosti Kopec)
- Tursh (Stone Giant stronghold)
- Zargash (Hill Giant steading)

Tursh and Zargash are both from GP's Foimorian Gaz, taken from this map, and placed as near to those locations as I could estimate. I'm thinking there might be another Hill Giant settlement near the lake south of Tursh.

It actually looks like some demographics are starting to emerge on the map, with the fey dominating the western regions, and giants in the eastern and northern regions. I'm thinking there should probably be a Frost Giant stronghold near (or on) the glacier, and there might be an outpost watching the pass just south of that. I actually think however, that most incursions from Mogreth wouldn't come from that valley, but from the pass near Yath-Sstalazhat. From there the lizardmen might harry and raid Zargash for Hill Giant slaves.

The giants in turn, would probably do quite a bit of raiding into the Frontierlands, with the Citadel of Aresh being the nearest organized defense.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:41 pm

RobJN wrote:Does the stretch of mountains between those labeled "Curacanti Mountains" and "Kuuromaresha Mounts" (the section to either side of the Lost Valley obelisk marker) have a Grondheim/Glittering Lands name?
Curacanti = Cruth
Kuuromaresha = Altan Tepes

That stretch in between should be the Black Peak Mountains. If we follow GP's lead and use Etruscan as a base language (at least for the local giants), then we might come up with something like (based on a quick internet search):
black = ater
mountain/rock = rok

Aterrok, or Aterok Mountains? I think I'd go with the second spelling. What do you think?

Another issue is that Curacanti is Inti, and Kuuromaresha is Hemkalss (Mogreth/carnifex), so I think it's likely that the Grondheimers would have their own names for these as well. Traditionally Mystaran maps don't take this kind of thing into account, so my take has been kind of a "first come, first served" method when doling out names.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote:Does the stretch of mountains between those labeled "Curacanti Mountains" and "Kuuromaresha Mounts" (the section to either side of the Lost Valley obelisk marker) have a Grondheim/Glittering Lands name?
Curacanti = Cruth
Kuuromaresha = Altan Tepes
oh.. I had only had a brief look at the map and presumed the later was a pre-sound shift name for the modern-day Khurish Massif, but yeah that would be in the wrong place. :lol: That's what I get for not double checing things.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Gecko wrote:oh.. I had only had a brief look at the map and presumed the later was a pre-sound shift name for the modern-day Khurish Massif, but yeah that would be in the wrong place. :lol: That's what I get for not double checing things.
Yup ;) those should be in the upper left corner of the Northern Grondheim map. Another interesting thing about Northern Grondheim is that the Collosus Mts and the Dwarfgate Mountains are one continuous range during this era. Somewhere along that range (close to what will become Broken Lands territory) is a hidden Blackmoorian device that will devastate the area in BC 1700 (EDIT: looks like I have already tentatively marked the area with an obelisk).

Another thing I started thinking about was the different cultures that make up Grondheim, and how they would affect the names that appear on these maps. The picture I'm starting to build is that there are "Etruscan" giants in the south (mostly stone and hill), and "Nordic/Antalian" giants in the north (mostly frost), and of course a smattering of fey scattered throughout. I'm really interested in seeing how these maps start to shape up.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Geographical Mapping”