[Outer World] Broken Lands (Upper & Lower), 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Outer World] Broken Lands (Upper & Lower), 8 miles per hex

Postby Thorf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:21 pm

The Broken Lands, 8 miles per hex by Thorf

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails to view these maps' pages in the Atlas of Mystara, where you can get the full resolution maps.

If you have any comments, corrections, or suggestions for things to add to the map, please post them here.
Last edited by Thorf on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Rewrote post completely.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Broken Lands (Upper and Lower), 8 miles per hex

Postby Thorf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:26 pm

I decided to adopt most of the colours from my original colours version as my standard palette for underground maps of this type. As a result, the replica and the original colours replica look almost exactly the same for the Lower Broken Lands maps. (You can see my original underground palette in the now out of date updated map - as of September 2008, that is. I will be updating that map to the new colour scheme soon.)

I plan to do the same for the Shadow Elves underground maps, and then develop an integrated palette to use for all my updated underground maps.

Oh, and I redrew the Giant Fungus Jungle symbol from scratch, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. It should look a lot better now, and I'll be updating the GAZ13 maps with that symbol soon too. (It's fungus forest on those maps, though. I don't know if there is any difference between Fungus Jungle and Fungus Forests, but I always imagined that the fungus in the humanoid areas would be somewhat wilder than the forests in the Shadow Elf Territories.)

One last thing - can anyone work out why the Lower Broken Lands PDF files are so big? They are actually bigger than the TM1 PDFs, but I can't work out why on earth that should be. The only thing I can think of is the charcoal brush used for swirls in lava pools and rivers, but it shouldn't add megabytes to the file size.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Thorf » Wed May 06, 2009 11:12 am

Update: Another major revision of the Lower Broken Lands replica maps. Both now use Feinen.

As noted in the Shadow Elf Territories thread, I would like to reconcile the two underground palettes to create a single palette for updated maps.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Wed May 06, 2009 3:37 pm

Heh, you know it's funny, but this is the first time I've really noticed the fungal swamps icon. I like it (and I may have to use it in some of my maps).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Sun May 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Update: Did a perfunctory update of the Upper Broken Lands updated map, and added a PDF for it.

I also uploaded my current updated version of the Lower Broken Lands map, complete with a new palette based on combined elements of GAZ10 and GAZ13's underground palettes. Unlike GAZ13's map, this one has seen quite a major change, with the colour of the very earth itself (okay, the bedrock ;) ) changing colour. Aside from the solid rock colour, the caves/broken lands symbol is also rather different. And as an experimental measure I've added in the crosshatching rock symbol around the edges of the caves, as the City of the Stars official map has.

If you have any comments on the palette, please go to the Mapping Issues: Underground Palette thread. Comments about the maps themselves are welcome here, as always. :)
Thorf
Cartomancer

Postby Chimpman » Mon May 11, 2009 4:02 pm

The updated pdf looks right, but the png is still the older version (with brown bedrock).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Thorf » Tue May 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Chimpman wrote:The updated pdf looks right, but the png is still the older version (with brown bedrock).

Your browser probably has the old version cached - it's a common problem. Just click on the image again and hit reload, and it should load up the new version. You can always make sure you have the latest version loaded just by hitting reload, and it's the same for the thumbnails - just hit reload for the whole thread, and they should update if they're wrong.
Thorf
Cartomancer

Return to Geographical Mapping