Outer World: Taymora 2300 BC, 24 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: Outer World: Taymora 2300 BC, 24 miles per hex

Post by Hugin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Havard wrote:I would actually suggest keeping as much as possible similar to what it is like in AC1000 to make it easier to recognize where things are in comparison to the era we are more familiar with. In addition to the coastline, Alfheim and Ylaruam will already be major changes. I suggest in particular leaving the mountain ranges the same. Woodlands may have grown or shrunk over the years, the same with swamps, but keeping some things recognizable would be preferable IMO.

Havard
Most things will be quite similar, just not exactly the same. Like you said it's mainly things like forests, wetlands, and even river paths to some degree that will be a little different than they are in the present. Mountains and hills would basically be the same (with some notable excepts).

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:43 am

Ok, I've uploaded my latest map of the Known World 2300 BC. It's still not complete, but it is getting a lot closer. Rough borders for everything but Adhuza, Antailians, Deep Elves (who are underground anyway), and Urzud are drawn in.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 pm

I was all excited to see your updated map, but it says not found! ;(

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:44 pm

Hugin wrote:I was all excited to see your updated map, but it says not found! ;(
Strange. It's there, but I can't get to it using the above url either. I wonder if the reason has to do with the size of the file? Regardless, you should be able to see it if you navigate there from the Maps page. It's the first map on the page.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 pm

I'd love to place this map next to one of the KW circa AC 1000, or better yet overlay them somehow to see how extensively we've changed the topography. Seeing the Adri Varma Plateau and Glantri, and southern Heldann, reduced to glacial wastelands is quite a sight!
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I'd love to place this map next to one of the KW circa AC 1000, or better yet overlay them somehow to see how extensively we've changed the topography. Seeing the Adri Varma Plateau and Glantri, and southern Heldann, reduced to glacial wastelands is quite a sight!
Let me see what I can do. It's a pretty huge file - even shrunk to png format is about 19M - I shrink it even further before posting), so I may have better luck doing a side by side of the 24mph map. I'll try an overlay tonight if I have time, though I'm not sure how messy it'll come out looking. Still it might give us some idea.

As for the glacial wastelands... I think that's probably the right thing to do, though I'm open to suggestions. The Rockhome area has only just had glaciers recede 200 years prior, and I think the same is true for Glantri. Heldann lands will be the home to the Antalian precursors, and above the Adri Varma (a ways) will be home to the beastmen of Urzud. At this point I think I'm convinced that both nations are cold-loving (or at least cold-tolerant) in some way. Let me know what you think about these ideas.

Hmmm... now that we're talking about this, I wonder if it might be good to work up a 72mph map just to get an idea of where the two above cultures are located. Let me check Thorf's other maps to see if there is something there already I can build off of.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 am

Ok, here is a quick comparison. The modern Known World isn't pretty, as I've cobbled together several maps to use as my baseline, but it should give you some idea.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm

That is really taking shape!

Regarding the "glacial wastelands", I think I would say that Heldann should be more tundra-like while the Adri Varma Plateau could still have glacial remnants (due to altitude) along with tundra, but I wouldn't completely cover it in a glacial cap.

Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Chimpman wrote:Ok, here is a quick comparison. The modern Known World isn't pretty, as I've cobbled together several maps to use as my baseline, but it should give you some idea.
This is amazing, and puts it all into perspective. I don't know what that landmass in the far southeast is supposed to be, but I would suggest cutting it back a bit.

Having the two maps side-by-side, I now realise that those inhospitable peaks (and the madman's tower in the middle of them), in that blasted region of central Taymora, will one day be Fortress Island. Now, did any part of the tower survive (or get buried) I wonder, and what would the dwarves do if they found it? :twisted:

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks guys!
Hugin wrote:Regarding the "glacial wastelands", I think I would say that Heldann should be more tundra-like while the Adri Varma Plateau could still have glacial remnants (due to altitude) along with tundra, but I wouldn't completely cover it in a glacial cap.
Right now it looks like the AV Plateau is mostly covered in tundra or snow fields, however the "valleys" between the plateau and the mountain ranges are completely glaciated. This can change if we need it to - I just haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what to put in this area.
Seer of Yhog wrote:I don't know what that landmass in the far southeast is supposed to be, but I would suggest cutting it back a bit.
I'm pretty sure that is Ochalea, and I probably just added that land mass by freehand as a way to gauge sea depth when we were trying to reconcile the various sources on that matter. Don't worry too much about that one. Ochalea (like parts of the Isle of Dawn) was roughly drawn by freehand and really only serves as a reference at this point. I will have to go back and try to integrate a more "correct" land mass and shoreline at some point though. It just hasn't been one of my top priorities.
Seer of Yhog wrote:Having the two maps side-by-side, I now realise that those inhospitable peaks (and the madman's tower in the middle of them), in that blasted region of central Taymora, will one day be Fortress Island. Now, did any part of the tower survive (or get buried) I wonder, and what would the dwarves do if they found it? :twisted:
;) That may have been the reasoning for placeing the tower where I did (but it's been a while and my memory is a bit fuzzy on that subject). The tower does correspond to the same hex as Stronghold though...

Wasn't there a dwarven vampire in Gaz 6? I wonder if he might have been from Fortress Island (or been in contact with folks who were)?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Chimpman wrote:Right now it looks like the AV Plateau is mostly covered in tundra or snow fields, however the "valleys" between the plateau and the mountain ranges are completely glaciated. This can change if we need it to - I just haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what to put in this area.
That sounds like a good general description to me.
I'm pretty sure that is Ochalea, and I probably just added that land mass by freehand as a way to gauge sea depth when we were trying to reconcile the various sources on that matter. Don't worry too much about that one. Ochalea (like parts of the Isle of Dawn) was roughly drawn by freehand and really only serves as a reference at this point. I will have to go back and try to integrate a more "correct" land mass and shoreline at some point though. It just hasn't been one of my top priorities.
Yes, it is Ochalea, but it is also a 'fatter' version of it (just like the Thanegioth Archipelago is). If memory serves, we did this because it was prior to the Caldera's colapse (1720 BC) and lowering of the region's land into the sea. Now that I think about it though, it shouldn't really be that drastic for Ochalea, although that island's entire stretch of northeastern facing coastline could have been changed somewhat due to the incredible tidal waves from the catastrophe.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:55 pm

You're right Hugin. Looking at the comparison map though, I never took the time to accurately include Ochalea in the base map (which I should probably do at some point in the near future). I'm pretty sure what I drew in the BC 2300 map was all just "eyeballed" in, so despite the fact that I think the shorelines of Ochalea should be a bit longer, that landmass may shift a bit anyway. And... right now there's now way to know how much larger the shorelines should be without seeing the modern day position.

... sigh... ok, you guys have convinced me. That is the next thing on my list.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm

I would argue that Ochalea and IoD shouldn't be too different, and where we know the continental shelf is very narrow, there might not even be any change at all.

Actually, looking at Thorf's replica of TM 2, I think a case could be made that the sinking of Taymora may have uplifted parts of the IoD, due to fantasy tectonic forces and water displacement (rushing in to fill an area that was once above sea level).

The sheer cliffs of the Sutherlands almost guarantee that the western and northern coasts would be pretty much unchanged, but perhaps the Fengallen Marshes might once have been a narrow channel, making the Sutherlands an island, and the Killyleagh Curragh might have been a small lake. The islet with Helligvaer may have risen from the sea.

Other parts of the IoD may have sunk as a result of the subsidence of the Bridge of Oost (especially in the north, which would make sense) - I'm thinking of the Vaerlandet Reefs, next to Svalbard Keep. This may have been a low-lying island, with the modern islets being a hilly region. The isle with Fiskeborgs Lighthouse was probably a peninsula at the time. or part of the Bridge.

Parts of Provincia Septentriona may have sunk or risen since the sinking of Taymora, but due to the relative narrowness of the continental shelf, the variation would probably be less than 3 8-mile hexes either way, but this gives scope to create now sunken lagoons, or create coastal islands that are now part of the mainland. Thus, we can create more underwater ruins, or have the ruins of a port be located miles inland.

This makes the land changes a little more interesting, IMO.

My Blog is here!

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I would argue that Ochalea and IoD shouldn't be too different, and where we know the continental shelf is very narrow, there might not even be any change at all.
That was my basic conclusion too.
Actually, looking at Thorf's replica of TM 2, I think a case could be made that the sinking of Taymora may have uplifted parts of the IoD, due to fantasy tectonic forces and water displacement (rushing in to fill an area that was once above sea level).
Through discussions in another thread (and some time ago) I came to see a situation where sea levels rose globally following the GRoF as the old polar caps melted faster than the new ones formed. It could be argued that the current ice caps are still building up (in thickness).

However, at the same time, the Known World region was rising as the weight of the old cap melted away. It may not have experienced the rising sea levels simply because the land rose as well. Perhaps with the pressure of that weight lessened, the conditions were now permissive for the caldera to form.

I don't think that water levels globally would be affected to any great degree by water flooding in over Taymora. It's just too small a percentage of the world's surface to be anything more than perhaps inches.
This makes the land changes a little more interesting, IMO.
Indeed. I like what you've suggested.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Great points, both of you. I think we're all pretty much on the same page. I'm going to try and take this map and incorporate portions of it into my master map.

Because the master map was compiled of maps created by different authors, I may end up having to move things around (hopefully just slightly), especially in the Isle of Dread region. Where any of the maps differ I prefer to use Thorf's versions... however there are instances where two or more of Thorf's maps differ as well and in that case I'm just going to make my best guess.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Cool! That should only take you - what - about 2 hours or so? Can't wait to see it! :twisted: ;)

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Cool! That should only take you - what - about 2 hours or so? Can't wait to see it! :twisted: ;)
:evil: Grrr.... only if everything goes right...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:55 am

Ok, I've updated the quick comparison image. There were quite a few changes that I had to make. Here's what I did:

I took the 72mph, 24mph, and 8mph (the trail map) maps of the Isle of Dawn and Ochalea regions and combined them as best as I could. Of the 3 maps, two of them match up pretty well - the 8 and 24 mph maps. The 72 mph map has different shorelines and different landmass placement in a lot of cases -however it is the only map that has the Thanegioth included. If you take a look at the baseline map (on the right) you'll see there are about 3 or 4 different placements for the archipelago. Thorf's 72mph placement is the one at the lowermost right.

So... first, I've placed Ochalea further to the SE and drawn in the coastlines to match the modern day. Second I moved the Thanegioth more to the SE to be more in line with Thorf's 72 mph map placement. Finally I redrew some of those southern contour lines. Let me know what you think.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Chimpman wrote:Of the 3 maps, two of them match up pretty well - the 8 and 24 mph maps. The 72 mph map has different shorelines and different landmass placement in a lot of cases
I remember Thorf having to deal with these issues when working on his maps. All you can do is do your best.

I just noticed a "Tanagoro" label down in the Thanegioth. What is the source for that, anybody know?

(It really sucks not having internet at home. ;( )

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Hugin wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I just noticed a "Tanagoro" label down in the Thanegioth. What is the source for that, anybody know?
Not sure. Could it have something to do with Yavdlom? I know the Tanagoro must have migrated to the Serpent Peninsula at some point (can't remember the date, but I think we've talked about it before so it's around somewhere), and it's very possible that they did so along the Thanegioth Archipelago. But I honestly don't know of any canon sources that have a Tanagoro population down there.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Perhaps. I personally like the feeling that people didn't successfully colonize the Thanegioth simply because it was too violent in every aspect; weather, native plants and animals, sickness (?), kopru :twisted: , etc. Maybe they were a branch of Yav-Tanagoro but didn't survive.

This does remind me that we quite the task to figure out the island's history. The description of the villages suggest Oltec influence (though I cannot find a description of the people themselves). The kopru will be very interesting as well; I didn't realize they were amphibian and therefore able to go on land. Another interesting point is that these kopru likely know the entire history of these natives from the point of first contact.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Hugin wrote:Perhaps. I personally like the feeling that people didn't successfully colonize the Thanegioth simply because it was too violent in every aspect; weather, native plants and animals, sickness (?), kopru :twisted: , etc. Maybe they were a branch of Yav-Tanagoro but didn't survive.
I'm not sure. I think we really need to dig into the history here. From memory I think that the city on top of the IoD's plateau is listed as being the capital of an empire (I've always assumed made up of Oltec people), and if that's true then colonization at some point had to be successful. It was only after corruption took hold of the land (and the populace) that everything fell apart and the place became the Isle of Dread.
Hugin wrote:This does remind me that we quite the task to figure out the island's history. The description of the villages suggest Oltec influence (though I cannot find a description of the people themselves). The kopru will be very interesting as well; I didn't realize they were amphibian and therefore able to go on land. Another interesting point is that these kopru likely know the entire history of these natives from the point of first contact.
The descriptions in Dragon Mag articles all point to Oltec (or Olmec - the Greyhawk equivalent I suppose) origins. I'm not sure how X1 describes the people, but from memory I always had the same impression.

I think it's time to open up a GazH thread on this subject... or perhaps scan through some of OldDawgs pre-existing threads. I know he has a bunch of them on the various islands in that area for use in his own GazF project.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'm not sure. I think we really need to dig into the history here. From memory I think that the city on top of the IoD's plateau is listed as being the capital of an empire (I've always assumed made up of Oltec people), and if that's true then colonization at some point had to be successful. It was only after corruption took hold of the land (and the populace) that everything fell apart and the place became the Isle of Dread.
From what I've been able to find, that empire/kingdom was a kopru civilization that has been declining for some time. Describing "Taboo Island" on the plateau, X1 says "This island was once the center of the kingdom of Kopru, until native rebellions destroyed their power".
The descriptions in Dragon Mag articles all point to Oltec (or Olmec - the Greyhawk equivalent I suppose) origins. I'm not sure how X1 describes the people, but from memory I always had the same impression.
Like I said, I can't find a description of the people themselves but given all the other indications, Oltec is the clearest choice and the one we agree on.
I think it's time to open up a GazH thread on this subject... or perhaps scan through some of OldDawgs pre-existing threads. I know he has a bunch of them on the various islands in that area for use in his own GazF project.
Agreed. There is a lot that can be done with this including the stories behind all the other inhabitants of the Isle of Dread.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Chimpman wrote:Ok, I've updated the quick comparison image. There were quite a few changes that I had to make. Here's what I did:
Just looking over your Taymora 2300 BC 8 mi/hex map and noticed that some of the southern villages and volcanoes don't quite match up with the 8 mi/hex map of Undersea from PC3. Did these changes come about due to the alterations you had to make here, I'm wondering? Or is it more a matter of you interpreting the PC3 map as showing their present locations after "sliding" off the continental shelf somewhat due to the quakes?

Also, I'm curious if you've had any thoughts on Mt. Kala in Taymoran times (been reading about the Sea of Dread nations again lately, and Honor Island was the topic last night). Has the permanent gate to the Elemental Plane of Fire factored into your development at all? Was it always present, or were the Taymor somehow involved with its creation?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Chimpman wrote:Ok, I've updated the quick comparison image. There were quite a few changes that I had to make. Here's what I did:
Just looking over your Taymora 2300 BC 8 mi/hex map and noticed that some of the southern villages and volcanoes don't quite match up with the 8 mi/hex map of Undersea from PC3. Did these changes come about due to the alterations you had to make here, I'm wondering? Or is it more a matter of you interpreting the PC3 map as showing their present locations after "sliding" off the continental shelf somewhat due to the quakes?
It's the latter. If I remember correctly (and it's been a bit now since I worked on this) my first priority was getting the coastlines to make sense. In the cases where sensible coastlines conflicted with settlement placement, the coastlines won out and I assumed that there had been some amount of "settlement drift" to account for their modern positions. Of course this only happens in the case of some of the settlements sitting on or in the great trench. If you've found other settlements out of place, give a shout because I don't remember deciding to move those at all.
Cthulhudrew wrote:Also, I'm curious if you've had any thoughts on Mt. Kala in Taymoran times (been reading about the Sea of Dread nations again lately, and Honor Island was the topic last night). Has the permanent gate to the Elemental Plane of Fire factored into your development at all? Was it always present, or were the Taymor somehow involved with its creation?
I actually do have some thoughts on Mt Kala, although they're not extensive at all. One thing I wanted to do (since we are basing this version of Taymora on the Minoans) was to introduce some aspect of "bull worship" into the culture. "The Great Bull of the Earth" may or may not be linked to a real immortal, but the stirrings of the "bull" would be felt throughout Taymoran society in the constant geological activities that occurred there. I wanted Mt Kala to be a holy place devoted to the "bull". [See The Last Unicorn and the Red Bull for some inspiration.]

Whether that means that some creature, or spirit, or immortal avatar actually lives there, or if there is a link to the elemental plane of fire, I don't rightly know. At the very least I want it to have some religious significance to them. Other than that, I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Geographical Mapping”