Outer World: Yavdlom, 8 miles per hex

A directory of geographical maps for the world of Mystara.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Thorf
Cartomancer

Outer World: Yavdlom, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Maps

Replica of Divinarchy of Yavdlom map from Champions of Mystara, 8 miles per hex by Thorf, September 2008
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Comments

Sources: Dragon 170 (1991), Champions of Mystara (1993).

Notes on Champions of Mystara
  • Rivers - the small river next to the village of N'Gumu is not connected to the sea. This is likely an error. Some of the other rivers, especially around Tanakumba, seem to be a bit puzzling too; it's sometimes not clear what direction they are flowing in.
To Do List
  1. Make replica of Dragon 170 Yavdlom map.
  2. Compare 8 mile per hex maps with 24 mile per hex maps of the area and make them consistent with each other, producing updated maps for both scales.
  3. Search through relevant sources for geographical details to add to the map, and write notes.
References

Thorf
Cartomancer

Re: Outer World: Yavdlom, 8 miles per hex

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:59 pm

The only scan I have of the Dragon 170 map is really bad quality - almost unreadable - so I guess it's going to have to wait.

One problem with the Champions of Mystara map is that the colours for jungle, forested hills, and clear hexes are essentially all the same. For now I have marked most of the empty hexes as symbol-less jungle, but I'm thinking that a lot of them are likely supposed to be clear plains hexes. The Dragon map may shed some light on this. For the same reason I had to guess at the kind of terrain each settlement is located in, so those hexes may also be off.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Maybe rivers around Tanakumba are not rivers at all but some kind of manmade irrigation channels.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 pm

hihama wrote:Maybe rivers around Tanakumba are not rivers at all but some kind of manmade irrigation channels.
That's a good point. :) Probably a lot of them are run-off from the swamps, too - which also explains their haphazardness at least a little.

Return to “Geographical Mapping”