Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Dartamian
Troll

Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Post by Dartamian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Asked a question about Greyhawk Blackmoor in the Greyhawk forum. See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10909
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Maragaine, ancient queen of Blackmoor

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Dartamian wrote:Looking through "The Doomgrinder" and came across the Queen's Regalia of Blackmoor.

Apparently they once belonged to "Maragaine, an ancient queen of Blackmoor. She is thoroughly evil and utterly insane, nad bent on restoring Blackmoor to the glory it knew in her lifetime."

Anymore information on Maragaine out there?
Great find! I have never heard of this character before. Since Blackmoor did not become a Kingdom untill the reign of King Uther, she must have been a ruler after him. Possibly she could have been his wife, but I think it is more likely that Uther would eventually wed Rissa Aleford from DA2.

Most likely Maragaine married Uther's son, or a later descendant. The bit about restoring Blackmoor to glory would also suggest that she ruled at a time when Blackmoor was in fact at a point in its history where it was quite powerful.

I am inclined to ignore the bit about her being evil/insane and rather write that off as false myths. What is the exact effect of the item? Does it depend on the Queen being evil when she was alive? If it is a cursed item, perhaps it can be restored to being a benign item if brought to the Throne Room of Castle Blackmoor?

It is interesting to note that both Uther and Maragaine (Morgana) are variants of the naming Arthurian myths. Perhaps this is where Doomgrinder author Steve Miller got the idea for Maragaine's name from?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Queen's Regailia of Blackmoor consists of a diadem, a pair of bracelets, and a choker. Only the choker is given a description
"It looks like a ruby-set choker of fine elven workmanship...and it magically compels the first character touching it to travel to distant Blackmoor. Once the hero reaches Blackmoor, he is drawn to the locations of the rest of the Regalia. A character with all four items instantly transforms into Maragaine, an ancient queen of Blackmoor..."
The only description of Maragaine was given in the first post. The powers of the Regalia are lift up to the DM.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:51 am

Dartamian wrote:Queen's Regailia of Blackmoor consists of a diadem, a pair of bracelets, and a choker. Only the choker is given a description
"It looks like a ruby-set choker of fine elven workmanship...and it magically compels the first character touching it to travel to distant Blackmoor. Once the hero reaches Blackmoor, he is drawn to the locations of the rest of the Regalia. A character with all four items instantly transforms into Maragaine, an ancient queen of Blackmoor..."
The only description of Maragaine was given in the first post. The powers of the Regalia are lift up to the DM.
Oh my. Oh, my oh my....
Thorn's Chronicle wrote:... Silva reached into her robe and produced a pale yellow-gold stone, mounted in silver, dangling from a delicate chain about her neck....
...Her lower arm adorned with a network of brightly glowing metal, an impossibly intricate pattern of weaves and sworls and braids, radiating from a brightly glowing reddish crystal set along the top of her wrist....
The Baron's Favor wrote:Atop the pile of rubble, jammed up against the northern section of wall and partially hidden in shadow is a worn leather sack. Though old, it has not been there long, based on the lack of dust or debris atop it.

Jasna was nearly through the gap when she had a change of heart and chose to go back to save the others in the dungeons below. She was interrupted by a kobold patrol, and is currently hiding in Room 12. Jasna’s Hoard: The sack contains two bundles of oilcloth: one holds a jewel-encrusted sheath (moonstones, opals, and rubies, 175 gpv); the other holds a silver circlet, its lace-like pattern of impossibly intricate silver threads woven around three large moonstones set along the front (1,500 gpv) DMs wishing to introduce Blackmoorian artifacts as part of Bargle’s research may substitute a Val’kira circlet for the tiara in Jasna’s horde. Her dagger would likewise be substituted for a red- dragonstone-bejeweled Spellshear knife +1.

Now I'm scaring me :shock:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 am

I saw the title of this thread and read it as Margarine..

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Morfie wrote:I saw the title of this thread and read it as Margarine..
:lol:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 am

Havard wrote:Most likely Maragaine married Uther's son, or a later descendant. The bit about restoring Blackmoor to glory would also suggest that she ruled at a time when Blackmoor was in fact at a point in its history where it was quite powerful.
Or perhaps Uther's sister? After Uther passed away apprently with no heir, Maragaine claimed the throne. However, when Uther's son with Rissa appears out of nowhere, she is dethroned, leading to Maragaine's insanity? I could see some Elizabeth/Mary Queen of Scots type rivalry going on here?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 am

Havard wrote:
Havard wrote:Most likely Maragaine married Uther's son, or a later descendant. The bit about restoring Blackmoor to glory would also suggest that she ruled at a time when Blackmoor was in fact at a point in its history where it was quite powerful.
Or perhaps Uther's sister? After Uther passed away apprently with no heir, Maragaine claimed the throne. However, when Uther's son with Rissa appears out of nowhere, she is dethroned, leading to Maragaine's insanity? I could see some Elizabeth/Mary Queen of Scots type rivalry going on here?

-Havard
Snippity-snip for future Crystal Chronicle exploration... :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:07 pm

RobJN wrote:Snippity-snip for future Crystal Chronicle exploration... :twisted:
Cool,
you might also be interested in looking up some of the MMRPG epsiodes then, where Uther's Cousin is introduced. Could he be Maragaine's son?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

jacquesriesling
Hobgoblin

Post by jacquesriesling » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:13 pm

I wondered if Uther's kid was "the one not yet born" named in the Afridhi/Well of Souls prophecy. It could be a reference to Rissa's progeny as well.
Ashtat was born in the days when the Nithian people began to forget the immortals. She didn't rely on the immortals to protect her. She went far away from her home and came to Cynidicea before it was lost. The Doulakki people of that city knew her as Madarua.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

jacquesriesling wrote:I wondered if Uther's kid was "the one not yet born" named in the Afridhi/Well of Souls prophecy. It could be a reference to Rissa's progeny as well.
Indeed, that seems likely. And of course, Rissa's progeny and Uther's child may very well be the same person...?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 am

Maragaine could be a Fey Queen. This way, she could be a Queen of Blackmoor before Uther, like we had other kings and queens of Elves etc. while Blackmoor was still a Barony and not yet a Kingdom.
A bit of a long shot, but...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 am

On the other hand, she can be living in the Age of the Wolf. Maragaine can be a broodmother (eww), and that can explain her insanity and evilness.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:37 am

Actually, Elves have Kings and Queens during Blackmoor timeline, so Maragaine could be an Elf Queen, perhaps mother of King Uhlmar...

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 pm

...or perhaps she could be superimposed to the Black Queen of the Westryn...

Return to “Blackmoor”