DA2 Temple of the Frog

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderators: Havard, Chimpman

DA2 Temple of the Frog

Postby shesheyan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm considering using the city of Blackmoor and DA2 for my 5E campaign.

A few questions :
- How much if this module is a dungeon crawl ?
- How many sessions of 4-5 hours can I get out of this module ?
- The cover says its for characters from level 10-14. Does anyone know how well this translate to 5E ? I'm aware I'll have to adapt it. Just wondering if 10 levels of Basic translate well into 10 levels of 5E.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Re: DA2 Temple of the Frog

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 am

There is a link to a review on the DA2 Temple of the Frog page on the Book-House, as well as some other links (including Return to the Temple of the Frog). Maybe that will help with some of the questions you have.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 am

shesheyan wrote:The cover says its for characters from level 10-14. Does anyone know how well this translate to 5E ? I'm aware I'll have to adapt it. Just wondering if 10 levels of Basic translate well into 10 levels of 5E.

Characters in Basic won't be as robust at level 10 as 5e characters would be at the same level. I'd probably start with 6th or 7th level 5e characters. That way, PCs have access to 3rd or 4th level spells and have received their first attribute increases, but aren't so powerful as to have access to hundreds of hit points or more than two attacks per round.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby shesheyan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:04 am

Tim Baker wrote:
shesheyan wrote:The cover says its for characters from level 10-14. Does anyone know how well this translate to 5E ? I'm aware I'll have to adapt it. Just wondering if 10 levels of Basic translate well into 10 levels of 5E.

Characters in Basic won't be as robust at level 10 as 5e characters would be at the same level. I'd probably start with 6th or 7th level 5e characters. That way, PCs have access to 3rd or 4th level spells and have received their first attribute increases, but aren't so powerful as to have access to hundreds of hit points or more than two attacks per round.

Thanks ! I'll keep that in mind when we create the characters.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I bought and read the DA2 module yesterday. Has anyone DMed or played this module ?
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 pm

A lot of good stuff in this module. The writing is excellent. Really like the overall story line and the way the different factions in the cult's organisation can be played against each other by clever players. But there is way too much crawl in single location for my taste. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

Change #1 :
Instead of having everything in a single giant multi-level location, I've started breaking up the massive crawl into smaller complexes distributed above ground around the Frog Temple. The complexes will be linked with secret tunnels. Its more organic and believable in my mind.

Change #2 : (spoiler alert)
The aliens who control the cult aren't alien enough. Physically I picture them more like Abe Sapient (triton like) in Hellboy. In the modules they blend in at act human-like and take over the cult slowly. Instead I propose that when the aliens crash landed with their ship on the island the cult saw them as their frog god fallen from the sky. The aliens understood this after a few scans and spy drones were sent around the island. They've played the living-god card very well and took over the cult immediately. But over time the orignal leaders of the cult started to see the aliens for what they are. Powerful but mortal beings. Not gods. When the players arrive the tension between the old cult leaders and the aliens is almost at breaking point.

Change #3 : (spoiler alert)
The module says the aliens are stock pilling weapons and building an army to conquer more land. I believe advanced beings would be more subtle and secretive. For all their power and technology they are only 5. The baroness the players are looking for and want to rescue, will be held captive in the ship instead of in the bowels of the temple. To boost the sens of wonder and strangeness of the module I want the players to board the alien ship and explore it. The baroness is currently the guinea pig an experiment to augment the duration of the mind programming technique the aliens already use on the low level disciples of the cult. The alien leader, if successful with the baroness, will send her home to become the first agent of the aliens outside the island. The leader hopes to slowly take control over Blackmoor without bloodshed.

That's it for now.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

shesheyan wrote:A lot of good stuff in this module. The writing is excellent. Really like the overall story line and the way the different factions in the cult's organisation can be played against each other by clever players. But there is way too much crawl in single location for my taste. Makes me feel claustrophobic.

Change #1 :
Instead of having everything in a single giant multi-level location, I've started breaking up the massive crawl into smaller complexes distributed above ground around the Frog Temple. The complexes will be linked with secret tunnels. Its more organic and believable in my mind.

If you look at Supplement II: Blackmoor, the original version of the Temple of the Frog included in that booklet, focused more on the City of the Temple of the Frog in addition to the Temple itself. Other temples spread around the swamp linked with secret tunnels as you suggest could also be alot of fun.

Change #2 : (spoiler alert)
The aliens who control the cult aren't alien enough. Physically I picture them more like Abe Sapient (triton like) in Hellboy. In the modules they blend in at act human-like and took over the cult slowly. Instead I propose that when the aliens crash landed with their ship on the island the cult saw them as their frog god fallen from the sky. The aliens understood this after a few scans and spy drones were sent around the island. They've played the living-god card very well and took over the cult immediately. But over time the orignal leaders of the cult started to see the aliens for what they are. Powerful but mortal beings. Not gods. When the players arrive the tension between the old cult leaders and the aliens is almost at breaking point.

Definitely possible to make them more alien looking. You have to consider whether you want to make the same changes to the aliens in DA3 as well though. But they could easily use technology to make themselves appear more human if you want them to be able to infiltrate human societies.

Tensions between factions within the Order like you propose is definitely a great idea.

Change #3 : (spoiler alert)
The module says the aliens are stock pilling weapons and building an army to conquer more land. I believe advanced beings would be more subtle and secretive. For all their power and technology they are only 5. The baroness the players are looking for and want to rescue, will be held captive in the ship instead of in the bowels of the temple. To boost the sens of wonder and strangeness of the module I want the players to board the alien ship and explore it. The baroness is currently the guinea pig an experiment to augment the duration of the mind programming technique the aliens already use on the low level disciples of the cult. The alien leader, if successful with the baroness, will send her home to become the first agent of the aliens outside the island. The leader hopes to slowly take control over Blackmoor without bloodshed.

That's it for now.

IMC, they have brain washed tons of people who have infiltrated the Baronies of the North. It might very well be what they were planning to do with the Baroness as well. That would give them access to the top levels of Blackmoor society. Even more so if the Baroness is indeed romantically involved with King Uther, which many fans have suggested.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Have a look at this https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/201 ... the-frogs/ as I think it might turn up to be useful ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby shesheyan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Have a look at this https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/201 ... the-frogs/ as I think it might turn up to be useful ;)

Cool ! ;)
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Havard wrote:IMC, they have brain washed tons of people who have infiltrated the Baronies of the North. It might very well be what they were planning to do with the Baroness as well. That would give them access to the top levels of Blackmoor society. Even more so if the Baroness is indeed romantically involved with King Uther, which many fans have suggested.

-Havard

( What does IMC mean ? )

In the DA2 module the aliens have brainwash technic but it is not permanent. But they do use it extensively on members of the cult who cannot leave the island. The cultist have to regularly be conditioned again.

If the aliens manage to permanently program the Baroness it would be a major asset in there conquest. The players have a fixed number of days to find and rescues the baroness. If they do not she becomes programmed to do the bidding of the alien leader. If this happens they will unwithinly rescue a programmed Baroness.... mouhahaha ! ;)
Last edited by shesheyan on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Hugin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm

shesheyan wrote:( What does IMC mean ? )

In My Campaign. :ugeek:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Hugin wrote:
shesheyan wrote:( What does IMC mean ? )

In My Campaign. :ugeek:

Of course ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Return to Blackmoor