RPG Crawler talks about Chainmail, Braunstein & Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

RPG Crawler talks about Chainmail, Braunstein & Blackmoor

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm

RPG Crawler has a video, called D&D Retrospective 0 - Chainmail, Braunstein, and Blackmoor:

He talks about Chainmail, Braunstein, Blackmoor and how this fed into the original version of D&D.

I didn't realise that Dave Arneson had been part of the Braunstein group. I wonder how much crossover there was between early Braunstein players and early Blackmoor players.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Re: RPG Crawler talks about Chainmail, Braunstein & Blackmoor

Post by finarvyn » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm
I didn't realise that Dave Arneson had been part of the Braunstein group. I wonder how much crossover there was between early Braunstein players and early Blackmoor players.
Yeah, both Dave Arneson and Dave Wesely were in the same Twin Cities wargame club. The group found a book called "Strategos: The American Art of War" by Charles Totten and this apparently was their inspiration for Wesely's Napoleonic "Braunstein" games that everyone talks about. (They also did an overthrow-the-government scenario based on a banana republic, a wild west version, and eventually fantasy versions.) This all led to the notion of one person playing one character in a dungeon, and Blackmoor was born. My understanding (I was not there) is that many of the players in the Braustein games were the same as those of early Blackmoor as it was a continually evolving process within the Twin Cities club.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:26 am

finarvyn wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:33 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Yeah, both Dave Arneson and Dave Wesely were in the same Twin Cities wargame club. The group found a book called "Strategos: The American Art of War" by Charles Totten and this apparently was their inspiration for Wesely's Napoleonic "Braunstein" games that everyone talks about.
I wonder if Havard has read Strategos: The American Art of War to see if it has inspired anything in Blackmoor. I might have to ask him. :D
finarvyn wrote:
(They also did an overthrow-the-government scenario based on a banana republic, a wild west version, and eventually fantasy versions.) This all led to the notion of one person playing one character in a dungeon, and Blackmoor was born. My understanding (I was not there) is that many of the players in the Braustein games were the same as those of early Blackmoor as it was a continually evolving process within the Twin Cities club.
The overthrow the government idea, sounds like an early version of the idea used as the Social Collapse Point System (SCPs) system for the 2nd Edition Night Below setting. I wonder how the two compare.

I had heard of the name "Braunstein" before (although not before I joined The Piazza and had friendly people explaining old school stuff to me). I didn't realise it was a Napoleonic thing.

That's a much later era of real-world culture than most D&D campaign settings base themselves upon. And Napoleonic sounds like it would tie-to real-world France (while Dave Arneson would have been able to fudge details of Blackmoor to suit his needs and not get told "he did it wrong").

I guess that a Braunstein is closer to the Historical Reference series of books that came out in the 2nd Edition AD&D Era. But even those books are seem to be set before the Napolionic era. Perhaps HR4: A Mighty Fortress Campaign Sourcebook is the closest that D&D has ever come to replicating the Braunstein experience.

Did Braunstein ever make it to publication? If so, is it still going? And is the setting built up beyond the original Napoleonic concept?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:26 am
finarvyn wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Yeah, both Dave Arneson and Dave Wesely were in the same Twin Cities wargame club. The group found a book called "Strategos: The American Art of War" by Charles Totten and this apparently was their inspiration for Wesely's Napoleonic "Braunstein" games that everyone talks about.
I wonder if Havard has read Strategos: The American Art of War to see if it has inspired anything in Blackmoor. I might have to ask him. :D
Indeed I have a copy of Totten's Strategos. The Twin Cities group used Totten's rules for many different games, but for the original Braunstein game they ended up not using the rules that much because the entire session evolved into a very free form roleplaying heavy event with tons of players. The event was more similar to a LARP than to a Wargame session.

The overthrow the government idea, sounds like an early version of the idea used as the Social Collapse Point System (SCPs) system for the 2nd Edition Night Below setting. I wonder how the two compare.
Probably not at all. Again, the emphasis in Braunstein was roleplaying over rules. Dave Arneson won the "Banana Republic" game by coming up with ideas Wesely had not even considered.
I had heard of the name "Braunstein" before (although not before I joined The Piazza and had friendly people explaining old school stuff to me). I didn't realise it was a Napoleonic thing.

That's a much later era of real-world culture than most D&D campaign settings base themselves upon. And Napoleonic sounds like it would tie-to real-world France (while Dave Arneson would have been able to fudge details of Blackmoor to suit his needs and not get told "he did it wrong").
The most popular war gaming genres were Napoleonics (Napoleon era) and "Ancients" (Ancient Rome, Greece etc). The original Braunstein was a single session of trying something different while still a part of a regular Napoleonics campaign. Instead of controlling armies and generals, they would try to run regular people in the small Prussian town of Braunstein which was about to be invaded by the French. The results of the game was meant to influence the next war gaming session.

I guess that a Braunstein is closer to the Historical Reference series of books that came out in the 2nd Edition AD&D Era. But even those books are seem to be set before the Napolionic era. Perhaps HR4: A Mighty Fortress Campaign Sourcebook is the closest that D&D has ever come to replicating the Braunstein experience.
Napoleonic Era Tabletop RPGs might fit better into d20 Modern. There is also a GURPS Napoleon Sourcebook exploring the era.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”