13th Age and Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Freedom92
Bugbear

13th Age and Blackmoor

Post by Freedom92 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm

One of the local shops got a copy of 13th Age on their play shelf and after hearing some about it I sat down and browsed through it. While I've been told it mixes the best of 3.5 and 4th of D&D it does have nice elements and rules like the Icons which are more or less the mover and shakers NPC's of the setting. The Icons names are generic enough I could see pairing the Orc King with King Funk or the Archmage as the leader of the Wizards Cabal, etc.

Any one got opinions on mixing Blackmoor with 13th Age rules?

snorri
Ogre

Re: 13th Age and Blackmoor

Post by snorri » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Sounds a nice mix. I bought the game a few month ago, didn't took time to play it but it looks really nice, so with Blackmoor it can't be bad.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue May 29, 2018 9:04 pm

I just came across this thread. Hope you don't mind some thread necromancy as I check to see who you came up with as Blackmoor icons.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Do all the icons have to be in pairs Tim?

I know the Egg of Coot is a big thing in Blackmoor, but am not sure what opposes it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed May 30, 2018 4:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 pm
Do all the icons have to be in pairs Tim?

I know the Egg of Coot is a big thing in Blackmoor, but am not sure what opposes it.
That's a great question. No, the icons generally have a more complex relationship than that. While two might be in conflict with one another, one could also be in conflict with a third, and the second might have an uneasy alliance with that same third icon. It ends up creating a web of relationships between icons (although not every icon has to have an explicit relationship with every other icon).

So you get something like this: https://13thagetalespinners.files.wordp ... .png?w=599

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 am

Uther Andahar can be the Emperor (if he dies or disappears, then the Great Svenny is a good replacement).
The Regent of the Mines (either Uberstar Khazakhum or Lortz Kharnundrhum) is a definite match for the Dwarf King.
Menander Ithamis is the equivalent of the Elf Queen.
Robert the Bald can be the Archmage, although his relation with Uther and the Regency Council seems weaker than in the 13th Age version.

Others are more difficult.

Marfeldt the Barbarian can be a variation on the Orc Lord theme, as can the First Jarl of the Skandaharians, Thorsen One-Thumb. Marfeldt can also be partially equivalent to the Crusader, although the Iron Duke can also take a similar role.

The Egg of Coot and the Ran of Ah Foo can both take a role not unlike the Lich King.

Scotty Debelfry can be the Prince of Shadows.

Toska Rusa can be an evil variation on the Priestess. Garamond Bolitho can be a closer version to the original.

"Saint" Stephen Rocklin can be a variation on the Diabolist.

I don't have an easy equivalence for the dragon icons or the High Druid.

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am

High Druid = Wizard of the Woods?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm

RobJN wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:57 am
Except for the "Woods" in the name, the Wizard of the Woods does not strike me as particularly druid-like. IIRC, he's a wizard who would like to be a fighter. Is there an element I don't remember about him?

GP

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed May 30, 2018 4:39 pm

from Havard's Blackmoor blog:
Greg Svenson provided the following:

"Pete Gaylord played the original Wizard of the Wood. The 'Wood' was a forest area just east of the city of Blackmoor where the wizard resided. He was the first wizard/magic user."
After settling in the woods east of Blackmoor, the Wizard befriended many woodland creatures. He was able to raise a considerable force of Pixies. Ents and other sylvan creatures may also have been among his allies. The Wizard of the Wood has also been known to befriend dragons. The serene woodlands where the wizard had his homely hut built was protected by the dragon Tuffy, named after Gaylord's cat. In Garbage Pits of Despair, we learn of "Sophie", another of the Wizard's dragons. Sophie makes her home in the Dragon Hills. The Wizard befriended the Sophie when she was still quite young (20 years old), but used his magic to increase her age to over 300 years.

The greatest moment of the Wizard may have been during the Great Invasion, where the Egg of Coot attacked Vestfold (most likely in 994). The Wizard of the Wood joined with other forces of good, commanding a force of Pixies. The fate of the Wizard is unknown, but at some point he disappeared. After this, the Woods which had been his home grew into a sinister place. So they remained untill the Thonian Year 1001 when a wizard named Sildonis cleared out the woods and claimed the title Wizard of the Wood for himself.

I have always been fascinated by the Wizard of the Wood. I think it was the reference in David Ross' Blackmoor Timeline that first drew my attention to this character. I always imagined there would have to be something to this title "Wizard of the Wood". Does the title imply fealty from the nearby Sylvan creatures? Does becoming "the new Wizard of the Wood" provide you druidic powers? In a campaign, I would be tempted to make Sildonis disappear or leave his post (he seems bored with it) so that someone else (a PC?) can claim the title..
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... -wood.html

And this, a few years later:
In addition to being the first Wizard character in the game, [Pete] was the source of the super berry magic concept. His character was also known for keeping dragon pets (one named after Pete's cat) and being a friend of Pixies and other woodland creatures
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... chael.html

Info on the Super Berry here, at the Comeback Inn.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 30, 2018 5:18 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm
RobJN wrote:
Except for the "Woods" in the name, the Wizard of the Woods does not strike me as particularly druid-like. IIRC, he's a wizard who would like to be a fighter. Is there an element I don't remember about him?
The Wizard of the Woods (per DA1) specializes in spells dealing with plant control and plant growth.

Sildonis has an odd personality, but the previous Wizard of the Woods (Pete) would probably fit even better as a Druidic Icon. His stronghold (that presumably Sildonis now controls) is guarded by Treants and he commands armies of Pixies and Sprites. The orginal Wizard of the Woods is only detailed in the First Fantasy Campaign (1977) though, so it depends on how much of that you consider canon.

Edit: Rob provided more above :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Cool. He might be a rather unusual take on the High Druid icon.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm

agathokles wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pm
RobJN wrote:
That might be the case, but would 13th Age literally require Blackmoor Icons to be carbon copies of the Dragon Empire Icons...

...or would a bit of variation in the purpose and connections of the various Icons make for something that felt more fresh and new to 13th Age fans? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:06 pm

As I understand the concept of Icons, they just need to be powerful and important to the setting (having influence and such).

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm
would 13th Age literally require Blackmoor Icons to be carbon copies of the Dragon Empire Icons...

...or would a bit of variation in the purpose and connections of the various Icons make for something that felt more fresh and new to 13th Age fans? :?
Using 13th Age as the system for other campaign settings generally involves approaching icons one of two ways. Either you adapt NPCs or factions in the setting to align with the icons in the core book (or a sub-set of them), or you select NPCs and factions from the setting that you could build a web of relationships with, and who exert influence throughout the setting (or at least the part where the adventure will take place), and you use them as icons, ignoring the default setting.

I've seen it work both ways. There are official, Kobold Press-created icons for the Midgard campaign setting. That setting is grittier than the standard 13th Age setting, and doesn't use the same tropes about elves and dwarves, for example. So they went with the latter approach, defining their own icons. On the other hand, Dread Unicorn Games has a campaign setting where there are fleshed-out, flavorful NPCs, and they've matched them to analogs among the core game's icons. They don't have a Lich King, but their head of a vampire kingdom easily stands in for one.

So like so many things with 13th Age, the answer is "there's no one, true way to do it." A little side note, this is actually the source of the title of the first 13A sourcebook: 13 True Ways.

Return to “Blackmoor”