John Snider's Egg of Coot Campaign

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderators: Havard, Chimpman

John Snider's Egg of Coot Campaign

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:09 pm

John Snider (Designer of Star Probe, Star Empires) is one of the original players in Dave Arneson's Campaign. He later went on to DM a Blackmoor Campaign dealing with the Egg of Coot. We don't know too much about what Dave Arneson was planning for this legendary Blackmoor villain and we also don't know much about the lands controlled by the Egg. So it is really exciting that material from Snider's campaign is now being released. John Snider and the guys behind the Secrets of Blackmoor documentary have allowed me to host the relevant files at the Comeback Inn. There is much more coming, but so far a few maps have been released:

Get the maps here.

Anyone here interested in seeing more of this? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: John Snider's Egg of Coot Campaign

Postby Sturm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Very interested :-)
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Me!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Dread Delgath » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Definitely, yes!
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby BlackBat242 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 am

Gotta love our faceborg site...

Robert Nuttman: If you ran an investigative detective noir campaign set in or around the Egg's lands would it be considered .... hard boiled?

Robert Weber: You are a Nutt, man!

Robert Nuttman: I yust make the occasional yoke.

Robert Weber: Get ready for an eggceptional amount of puns, and I must warn you that if this derails the thread, it might not go over easy.

Robert Nuttman: We'd better stop, before they tell us to beat it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode
BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Postby JamesMishler » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

It is interesting that a lot of the flavor text reminds me strongly of his brother, Richard's, work.

They must both have been strongly influenced by the same literature, as well as by Dave's work...

A thought occurs to me... I wonder if Don, the eponymous founded of the land of Donara in Richard's "Perilous Lands", a "god who landed on the tail of a comet," might have been inspired by the science-fiction works of John (i.e., Star Probe, etc.). Perhaps the character was even derived from a character John ran in Richard's campaign... though this might also have been inspired by Dave's "Temple of the Frog" or even the original material from Star Trek...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:10 pm

JamesMishler wrote:It is interesting that a lot of the flavor text reminds me strongly of his brother, Richard's, work.

They must both have been strongly influenced by the same literature, as well as by Dave's work...

That seems likely. Another of Dave's players told me that they were reading all the fantasy and sci fi novels they could get their hands on since there was a limited selection back then. TV shows, movies etc would probably also have been on that list.

I don't know how close Richard and John were, but I get the impression they were quite close. Dave usually referred to them as "The Sniders".

I own the Perils and Powers material, but I have yet to study it in detail. What sort of similarities do you see?
A thought occurs to me... I wonder if Don, the eponymous founded of the land of Donara in Richard's "Perilous Lands", a "god who landed on the tail of a comet," might have been inspired by the science-fiction works of John (i.e., Star Probe, etc.).

Nice find! I will have to read up on that. I would not be surprised if that was the case. I have posted quite a few details from John's Star Empires Campaign over at The Comeback Inn. That campaign was cosely connected to Blackmoor. Richard also ran his own Blackmoor campaign that is referenced in the First Fantasy Campaign. I don't know how much of that campaign made its way into Perils & Powers?

Perhaps the character was even derived from a character John ran in Richard's campaign... though this might also have been inspired by Dave's "Temple of the Frog" or even the original material from Star Trek...

The Chronology here is fuzzy. Somewhere between 1973 and 1974, John was called into military service in Germany. Around the same time Stephen Rocheford and Dave Arneson come up with the concept for St. Stephen. I would assume that John's Star Empires campaign took place some time before all of this.

John's Egg of Coot campaign started much later. I believe most of it took place during the 1980s (gotta confirm this).

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dread Delgath » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:01 pm

I read, over at the Comeback Inn, that John's Egg of Coot campaign took place in the 90's, but was still okayed with Dave Arneson, so I guess it is still considered canon. All of this was from the poster (at the Comeback Inn) as "Secrets of Blackmoor" at the 8th post on page one.

Hey! Lookie here! A link! http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8598 ;)
My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.
Dread Delgath
Fire Giant

Location: Thankfully, NOT where the swirl starts when you flush the country.

Postby JamesMishler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:25 am

Havard wrote:I own the Perils and Powers material, but I have yet to study it in detail. What sort of similarities do you see?

Mostly in the turn of the phrase when it comes to the various magicians and magical items of note, such as the heart-sized ruby that controls wind and sand and the forces of the desert, or the "Tower of Fire" the occupant of which is studying storms and lightning and the "Power of the Storm."

The shorthand for cities and such is also reminiscent of Richard's methodology, both in First Fantasy and in P&P; but then again, both learned their arts under Dave, so maybe this is all just Dave's influence showing strongly...
JamesMishler
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:09 pm

More maps!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Havard wrote:More maps!

Some of the links didn't work, but they are fixed now :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm

More information about this setting has now been revealed.

John Snider imagined that this campaign did take place in the same world as detailed by Dave Arneson in his Blackmoor campaign, but set several centuries later, with the Egg of Coot still around as the main behind the scenes antagonist.

I am now trying to figure out how to integrate this into the timeline! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Part 3 of the maps have been uploaded: http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/vie ... =22&t=8612

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Maybe this could be integrated to the Age of Wolf plot? The Egg seems to be a fitting enemy for a more decadent Blackmoor.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Blackmoor