Dragons of Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderators: Havard, Chimpman

Dragons of Blackmoor

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 am

I asked this at the Inn, but I guess is a good idea to ask here as well.

Dragons is why I like D&D, so when I become interested in a campaign world, I eventually began to study about the dragons of that world. Now that my campaign about the Temple of the Frog is going to end, is time for some lore about Blackmorian dragons. Thing is, there is no much lore about them in the 4e and d20 Blackmoor books (I only have the d20 campaign setting).

So, my questions:
-What makes Blackmoor dragons different to dragons of other worlds? (such Greyhawk or the Realms)
-Are there any unique blackmoorian races of dragons? Or only the classic ones?
-What about their society? if they have one.
-Is there any lore about the dragon gods besides what is said the books I have?

Thanks in advance!
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Re: Dragons of Blackmoor

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:48 am

Blackmoor and Greyhawk were the first two D&D campaign settings, so there must be an element of Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax establishing the D&D stereotypes via their campaign settings.

But hopefully, there are some dragon-related plots in the Blackmoor books.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 am

Oh, I see. So, is the classic of the classics. Well, I guess that gives me a lot of freedom to do my things.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:09 am

Great topic!

At one point, I was planning on a series of artices on the Dragons of Blackmoor as a follow-up to my series on the Demons of Blackmoor that I posted on my blog. I only have time for a short reply right now, but will be back with more later on.

Zeromaru X wrote:So, my questions:
-What makes Blackmoor dragons different to dragons of other worlds? (such Greyhawk or the Realms)
-Are there any unique blackmoorian races of dragons? Or only the classic ones?

Dragons were always an important race on Blackmoor. They were allies and enemies, involved in all the key conflicts of Dave Arneson's Campaign. According to the D20 Sourcebook, another unique feature is that the Dragon Gods walk around on the world of Blackmoor and don't have a separate home plane. Visually, Blackmoorian dragons have a wide range of appearance. Some are lizardlike, others serpentine and yet others seem more humanoid. Bobjester brings up some material that expands on this in this Comeback Inn thread.

Two types of Dragons exist in Blackmoor that are rare or unheard of on other worlds. These are the Grey Dragons and the Brown Dragons.

-What about their society? if they have one.

Dragons are similar on all worlds in that they like to hoard treasure and seek out isolation. But Blackmoor dragons have always been willing to serve the mortal forces in their conflicts as well. Some are allied with the Egg of Coot and its demonic forces, while others have chosen to ally themselves with the Kingdom of Blackmoor and unique individuals such as the Wizard of the Woods.

Dragon Names, as they are spoken in the language of Dragons is incredibly difficult for mortals to pronounce. The people of Blackmoor with their typical sense of humor have adapted a tradition of giving Dragons their own names in the style that they would normally name their house cats. Gertie, Sophie and Tuffy are some of the better known dragons of Blackmoor, but don't let their names fool you into thinking they could not turn you into a quick roast :twisted:

Since Blackmoor came to be before the current Alignment system, I suggest using the conventions from the AD&D Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix for Dragon Alignments: Color determines the Law/Chaos axis, but the Good/Evil axis varies by individual.

-Is there any lore about the dragon gods besides what is said the books I have?

The Father of Dragons (later: Insellageth), , is briefly mentioned in the First Fantasy Campaign (1977) as is Gertrude (Tsartha). Gertrude is also mentioned in many of the unpublished tales from the original campaign although it was not known to the original players that she was a deity. Or perhaps she had not reached that status yet at that point.

I also wrote an article on my blog about the relationship between the Peshwah and the Dragon Gods, although this is not official.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am

MMm... Grey dragons and brown dragons also exists in the Nentir Vale's world. Brown dragons even had their own empire, the one that preceded Arkhosia. I guess this is NV doing an homage to the old settings.

As for the dragons involved in the affairs of mortals, I like that. Its something that I'm going to take into account in my take on Blackmoorian dragonborn clans.

Havard wrote:Since Blackmoor came to be before the current Alignment system, I suggest using the conventions from the AD&D Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix for Dragon Alignments: Color determines the Law/Chaos axis, but the Good/Evil axis varies by individual.

-Havard

This sounds pretty like alignments in 4e.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:MMm... Grey dragons and brown dragons also exists in the Nentir Vale's world. Brown dragons even had their own empire, the one that preceded Arkhosia. I guess this is NV doing an homage to the old settings.

I didnt realize that about the Nentir Vale. That is interesting. It might indeed be a tribute, or at least moving back to things that were kept rare or unheard of in the editions between the original and 4th. Brown Dragons were also brought back for BECMI back in 1986 which sort of tied them to Mystara. I believe Brown Dragons also existed in Dark Sun, but these were very different from the other versions of Browns.

I'm sure Grey Dragons have appeared in other editions along the way too, but they never seemed to be a major force. In Blackmoor however, the oldest Dragons were Greys and probably these were

As for the dragons involved in the affairs of mortals, I like that. Its something that I'm going to take into account in my take on Blackmoorian dragonborn clans.

Havard wrote:This sounds pretty like alignments in 4e.

I don't recall how alignments for Monsters works in 4E, but if you want to make Blackmoor dragons different in that respect for a 4E campaign, you might want to find a different way to represent them then :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:27 am

Starting a series of famous dragons of Blackmoor.

First up is Gertie the Gray Dragon.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Thanks! Gertie seems interesting. And I also forget that the gods in the original setting weren't really gods but immortals.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Yaztromo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:27 pm

If you have a look only at the holy symbols of Blackmoor, you will find quite a few dragns in them. Always wingless dragons, if I remember well.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Return to Blackmoor