Using Goliath Stats for Garls?

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderators: Havard, Chimpman

Using Goliath Stats for Garls?

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:51 am

What do you guys think about allowing Garls as PCs? Garls are a little bit taller than Goliaths, but do you think that using the same stats as Goliaths could work for Garl PCs if you play in a 3E, 4E or 5E campaign?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Using Goliath Stats for Garls?

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:08 am

Seeing they did the same with the half-giants in 4e Dark Sun, the Goliaths as Garls can work pretty well in 4e Blackmoor. And, if you're a lazy DM, in 5e as well.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Re: Using Goliath Stats for Garls?

Postby Havard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Seeing they did the same with the half-giants in 4e Dark Sun, the Goliaths as Garls can work pretty well in 4e Blackmoor. And, if you're a lazy DM, in 5e as well.

For Mystara, we talked about using the race called Stalwarts in the place of Goliaths (or vice versa). Both Stalwarts and Garl appear in AC9 the Creature Catalog, but only Garls have a specific mention in Blackmoor source material IIRC.

It should be noted that Garls probably don't have any origins in anything from Dave Arneson's campaign and were probably included in the DA modules mainly because they were Companion Level monsters. On the other hand, their caveman-like appearance have a very pulp fantasy flavor that fits well with the general atmosphere of Blackmoor. This might be another reason why they were selected for those modules (either by Arneson or Ritchie).

It would make for a neat addition to the list of playable races though and having monster like races as PCs is very much in line with Dave Arneson's style of DMing.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Blackmoor