The Abominable Snowfreak

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

The Abominable Snowfreak

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm

In the First Fantasy Campaign (page 13) we can find, among the more infamous characters of the Duchy of the Peaks, the Abominable Snowfreak :o .
Apart from this passing mention, what else do we know, from canon or from memories of the original players, about the Abominable Snowfreak?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: The Abominable Snowfreak

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:35 pm

It's a nickname for Lord Whitehead, the former Duke of the Duchy of the Peaks.

It is possible that "Whitehead" is also a nickname. I assume that "Abominable Snowfreak" was given as a nickname because of a massive white hair/beard. Or possibly just because his castle is located on a snowy mountaintop near Starport?

In my blog articles on the Duchy of the Peaks I added the following to explain the changes between the FFC and DA4:
Duke Whitehead marries an exotic dancer named Sonia Sholako. Through the use of her charms and magic, she is soon able to gain complete control of the Duchy of the Peaks.

Duke Whitehead dies under mysterious circumstances. Donia Sholako becomes the Duchess of the Peaks.
-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Havard wrote:Or possibly just because his castle is located on a snowy mountaintop near Starport?
"Starport"? :shock:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Or possibly just because his castle is located on a snowy mountaintop near Starport?
"Starport"? :shock:
Yes. The capital of the Duchy of the Peaks.

Surprised you hadn't noticed this one ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Havard wrote:In my blog articles on the Duchy of the Peaks I added the following to explain the changes between the FFC and DA4:
Duke Whitehead marries an exotic dancer named Sonia Sholako. Through the use of her charms and magic, she is soon able to gain complete control of the Duchy of the Peaks.

Duke Whitehead dies under mysterious circumstances. Donia Sholako becomes the Duchess of the Peaks.
Does this mean that the Abominable Starfreak only exists in that one Blackmoor product? Is there no mention of him in the 3e stuff?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:Does this mean that the Abominable Starfreak only exists in that one Blackmoor product? Is there no mention of him in the 3e stuff?
Correct. The 3E line didn't go into much detail at all about the Duchy of the Peaks. The DA modules do provide some detail, but since both the DA modules and the 3E line are set 25-30 years after the FFC I assume that he passed away, or more likely was killed, in the time between the FFC and the later products.

If anyone finds any reference to this character in later products that I have not discovered, then please let me know.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”