Web Enhancement: Sandfolk of the Valley

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Web Enhancement: Sandfolk of the Valley

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 26, 2018 11:54 am

I just stumbled onto a topic at RPG Net called:
[Code Monkey Publishing / d20] Free Web Enhancement! that said there was a Web Enhancement for Dave Arneson's Blackmoor called Sandfolk of the Valley.

The Code Monkey Publishing website is long gone now, but I'd be interested to know more about what Sandfolk are.

Are Sandfolk some sort of sand elemental? Or is it a group of humans that live in the sort of desert conditions that you would expect in Arabia, Al-Qadim or Dark Sun?

And what are the two iconic creatures, that were converted to d20 stats here? Why did they get missed out of the book, if they are iconic? Is the valley mentioned in the name of this Web Enhancement a long way away from the city of Blackmoor?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Web Enhancement: Sandfolk of the Valley

Post by Havard » Sat May 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi Big Mac,
you can download this Web Enhancement for the City of the Gods module along with more Downloads at my website, the Blackmoor Archives.

Sandfolk are not elementals. Rather they are four armed silicon based humanoids inspired by Edgar Rice burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom series. While their origin is unclear, fans have speculated that they were brought to Blackmoor by the Spaceship the FSS Beagle, possibly from the fourth planet of Blackmoor's solar system.

Below are two articles that adapt the Sandfolk to modern day Mystara, but the information there can be useful for classic Blackmoor campaigns as well:
Sandfolk in Modern Day Mystara
Ungolwaith - The Sandfolk
And what are the two iconic creatures, that were converted to d20 stats here? Why did they get missed out of the book, if they are iconic?

One of the creatures was the Sandfolk themselves. The other is the Camarilla, the giant lizards the Sandfolk ride. I think these may have been cut from the book because the focus of the adventure is the City of the Gods itself.
Is the valley mentioned in the name of this Web Enhancement a long way away from the city of Blackmoor?
The Valley of the Ancients lies on the outskirts of the realms controlled by Blackmoor. Many of the heroes of Blackmoor have perished trying to explore this valley and only a few have returned to tell the tale. Even Mordenkeien almost died there while exploring the area with his friend Robilar in a game DMed by Dave Arneson with Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz as his players.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”