[Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's ties to Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's ties to Blackmoor

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am

In a recent episode of Tavern Chat, Rob Conley begins talking about the history of the Points of Light setting that he created for Goodman Games. That portion begins around 49:45. The second portion of the book, Southland, is connected to Conley's Blackmarsh, which is directly north of Southland. And Blackmarsh is an homage to Blackmoor, to the point that Rob drew the map using an rotated and flipped map of the Netherlands—the same thing Dave Arneson did when mapping Blackmoor. So in an indirect way, Rob Conley connected his Points of Light setting to Blackmoor.

Has anyone ever used the Points of Light products? Each book contains four hex maps with a few paragraphs of background and a bunch of details for locations on the maps. They're system neutral, but the Blackmarsh adventure was written for Delving Deeper, an OD&D retroclone.
Last edited by Tim Baker on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Points of Light] Rob Conley talks about PoL's ties to Blackmoor

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:42 am

You can download Blackmarsh for free on DriveThruRPG, by the way.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Curiously, I've used my 4e books from Goodman Games in my 4e Blackmoor campaign. I didn't knew this, I only thought they are thematically fitting.

Thanks for sharing this, Tim.

robertsconley
Gnoll

Post by robertsconley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for the shout out!

robertsconley
Gnoll

Post by robertsconley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:40 am
Ito the point that Rob drew the map using an rotated and flipped map of the Netherlands—the same thing Dave Arneson did when mapping Blackmoor.
As an interesting aside it would be neat to figure out which old map of the Netherlands Dave used. It almost workable problem considering it would have to be something available in the early 70s. When I saw searching for old Netherlands maps there didn't appear to be a huge number. (Maybe two dozens or so).

So somebody could try to take all the available old maps and flip them to see which match up. It probably won't come to anything but might be a fun exercise.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm

robertsconley wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 pm
As an interesting aside it would be neat to figure out which old map of the Netherlands Dave used. It almost workable problem considering it would have to be something available in the early 70s. When I saw searching for old Netherlands maps there didn't appear to be a huge number. (Maybe two dozens or so).

So somebody could try to take all the available old maps and flip them to see which match up. It probably won't come to anything but might be a fun exercise.
I'd love to see that as well. I read that it's speculated that the map was likely from a wargame, which would make sense. I have zero insight into wargames of the 1960's and '70s, but perhaps someone else in the community has the right knowledge or connections.

Return to “Blackmoor”