List of Blackmoor Deities

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Havard
Dragon Turtle

List of Blackmoor Deities

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:06 am

Below is a list of the Deities presented in the 3E Blackmoor line.

Thonian/Blackmoor Pantheon
Baldin (NG)
Fornaus (N)
Hersh (CN)
Henrin (LG)
Kadis (N)
Khoronus (LN)
Mwajin (NG)
Odir (LG) - King of Gods
Pacuun (CG)
Phellia (NG)
Sacwyhne (CG)
Sollus (NG)

Peshwa Pantheon
Calelrin (evil) (NE)
Hadeen (dead) (NG)
Hak (N)
Raelralataen (LN)
Yoosef (N)

Evil Pantheon
Elgath (Connected to the Egg of Coot?) (CN)
Tyrhm (Skandahar Patron) (CE)
Thanatos (NE)
Hella (Skandahar/Beastman Patron) (NE)
Volketh (CE)
Zugzul (Afridhi Pantheon) (LE)
Brr'bb't (Froglin Patron, same as Elgath?)

Dwarves/Gnomes
Charis (LG)
Koorzun (CG)
Dhummon (LG)
Gorrim (evil) (NE)
Hemgrid (N)
Kela (NG)
Mieroc (LG)
Pathmeer (LN)
Shau (LN)

Elven Pantheon
Aeros (N)
Dealth (CN)
Faunus (CN)
Ferros (N)
Fiumarra (CN)
Hydros (N)
Ordana (NG)
Sylvian (N)
Terra (LN)

Docrae/Hafling Pantheon
Tilla (CG)

Dragon Pantheon
Chamber (NE)
Insellageth (NG)
Tsartha (N)

Other Entities
The Egg of Coot
God of Id

-Havard (Not a Blackmoor deity ;) )

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: List of Blackmoor Deities

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:09 am

Chimpman asked about the Dwarven deities and this is a repost of my reply on the v2 board:

I made an attempt at aligning Blackmoor deities with Mystaran Immortals. One version of that discussion is available here.

To quote what is said about Dwarven Deities:
Dwarves/Gnomes
Charis - Kagyar
Koorzun - Ssu-Ma
Dhummon - Kagyar
Gorrim (evil) - N'Grath
Hemgrid - Land
Kela -Verthandi
Mieroc - Garal
Pathmeer - Fugit
Shau - Urd

I don't vouch 100% for these though, as it was more of a thought experiment. I really should look more into the details on each deity.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Hmmm..even though they're not official, I'd be inclined to toss in the Outer Beings. The more I think about it, the more they really do fit with the setting (which always had a bit of a Hyperboria/Robert E. Howard feel to it).

Just thinking aloud...

G
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Hmmm..even though they're not official, I'd be inclined to toss in the Outer Beings. The more I think about it, the more they really do fit with the setting (which always had a bit of a Hyperboria/Robert E. Howard feel to it).

Just thinking aloud...

I don't know where I got the reference from, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the demons used to be common in the North (ie Blackmoor) in ages past. This seemed straight out of REH to me. What I am envisioning is that these demons were indeed the servants of the Outer Beings. Evidence of the presence of such creatures are such locations as the Malfera Forest for instance. The Egg of Coot is likely one of the last remains of the servants of the Outer Beings. I am uncertain to what role the Outer Beings themselves would play at this time?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:10 am

How about "The One" the deity that the Clan of the Fallen Star hope to restore?

Does that count?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:How about "The One" the deity that the Clan of the Fallen Star hope to restore?

Does that count?

Hmmm....need to read up on this one. I thought that perhaps this was a reference to Hadeen?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:12 pm

At the risk of being told to "just go out and buy the books," I wonder, Hav, if it'd be possible to get a blurb for what each of the Blackmoorian dieties (divinities?) represent? Or -- as you did for the dwarven ones -- a link to a comparable Immortal?

Wow, that's a long couple of sentences.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:How about "The One" the deity that the Clan of the Fallen Star hope to restore?

Does that count?
Hmmm....need to read up on this one. I thought that perhaps this was a reference to Hadeen?
Read the Monk of the Clan of the Fallen Star. It is on pages 32-35 of the paperback revised edition of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor. I'm not sure if it is in the same place (or included) in the hardback version. Most of this seems to be crunch, with the fluff at the start of the section.

I don't know if any of this is mentioned elsewhere as my Blackmoor-fu is not very good. (As far as the Clan of the Fallen Star goes, I'm still putting wax on the car with one hand and taking it off with the other hand. :lol: )
RobJN wrote:At the risk of being told to "just go out and buy the books," I wonder, Hav, if it'd be possible to get a blurb for what each of the Blackmoorian dieties (divinities?) represent? Or -- as you did for the dwarven ones -- a link to a comparable Immortal?
I'm sure he won't do that, but if he does actually tell you to go out and buy the books, I suggest you just put: "Please start a Blackmoor Wiki, Havard" in your forum signature. :P ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Havard wrote:I don't know where I got the reference from, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the demons used to be common in the North (ie Blackmoor) in ages past. This seemed straight out of REH to me.
If these were balrogs, though, I'd be inclined to borrow from Tolkien's myths instead.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Updated List of Blackmoor Deities

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:03 am

Here is a modified version of Havard's original list for RobJN. I've pulled the quote tags, but a lot of this is Havard's work from the first post.

Thonian/Blackmoor Pantheon
Baldin (NG) - Lord of Lights (god of the sun, light, music & poetry)
Fornaus (N) - Law-Giver (god of justice, law and nobility)
Hersh (CN) - Lord of Luck, the Rake (god of communication, friendship and luck)
Henrin (LG) - The Valiant (god of guards, layaldy and the military)
Kadis (N) - Old Bones (god of earth and the mountains)
Khoronus (LN) - Starlight General (god of law, protection and strength)
Mwajin (NG) - Silvercloud (god of commerce, sea and the wind)
Odir (LG) - Lord of Lords, King of Kings (god of knowledge, magic and war)
Pacuun (CG) - The Walking God, Holy Vengeance, the Sunsword (god of light, sun and travel)
Phellia (NG) - Queen of Ceremonies, The Weaver (goddess of love, magic and vanity)
Sacwyhne (CG) - Mooncloth, the Fencer (duels, ice and war)
Sollus (NG) - The Harvester, Brightday (god of agriculture, fertility, harvest and the sun)
Temrin* (dead) - ? (god of time + ?)

* = This is a dead god I have added from the Thanatos write up. Sollus is listed, as his god-brother, so I've added him here. But you might want to check this with other sources to confirm he is part of the Thonian Pantheon.

Peshwa Pantheon
Calelrin (evil) (NE) - The Deceiver, Lord of Lies (god of assassination, dark places, evil, lies & secrets)
Hadeen** (dead) (NG) - The Fallen, the Great Archer, Noble Born (god of archery and nobility)
Hak (N) - Horselord, Father of the Stars (god of harvest, horses, the sky, stars and wind)
Raelralataen (LN) - Law Keeper, Grimwall (god of death, law and justice)
Yoosef (N) - Earth Brother, the Thinker (god of the earth, enlightenment and protection)

** = Hadeen may be the same god that the Monks of the Fallen Star called "The One".

Evil Pantheon
Elgath (Connected to the Egg of Coot?) (CN) Claw of the North, King of Beasts, the Archer (archers and the hunt)
Tyrhm (Skandahar Patron) (CE) - The Biting North, the North Wind (god of war and cold)
Thanatos (NE) - Withered Hand, the Dark Moon (god of decay, disease, famine and time)
Hella (Skandahar/Beastman Patron) (NE) - The Dark Queen (goddess of death and the underworld)
Volketh (CE) - The Black Death (god of thieves, trickery and murder)
Zugzul (Afridhi Pantheon) (LE) - The Heart of Darkness and Fire (god of conquest, death, fire and war)

Dwarves/Gnomes
Charis (LG) - The Gnome Father (god of earth, nature and the underworld)
Koorzun (CG) - Stone Wind, Lord of Rods (god of home and magic)
Dhummon (LG) - Dwarf King (god of commerce, contracts and nobility)
Gorrim (evil) (NE) - The Eye that Sleeps Beneath (god of death, earth, he underworld and wealth)
Hemgrid (N) - The Great Stone (god of earth and mountains)
Kela (NG) - The Wanderer (god of crafts and smithing)
Mieroc (LG) - The Machinist, Mad Inventor (god of engineering, smithing and war)
Pathmeer (LN) - Earth Whisperer (god of knowledge, secrets and travel)
Shau (LN) - The Defending Queen (goddess of tactics, trust and war)

Elven Pantheon
Aeros (N) - Breath of the World, Cloud-Strider (god of air)
Dealth (CN) - The Veiled Lady (goddess of magic, travel and tricks)
Faunus (CN) - King of the Divine Forest, Lord of the Wilds (god of plants and animals)
Ferros (N) - The Builder Beneath, the Delver (god of creation, strength and warriors)
Fiumarra (CN) - The Burning Queen, Spark of Life (goddess of fire)
Hydros (N) - The Blue Prince, the Storm-Bearer (god of water)
Ordana (NG) - The All-Knowing, Mother of Elves (goddess of knowlege and protection)
Sylvian (N) - The Wild One, the Woodsman (god of wild places)
Terra (LN) - The Immovable, the Mountain Queen (goddess of law and earth)

Docrae/Hafling Pantheon
Tilla (CG) The Redeemer (goddess of the docrae)

Dragon Pantheon
Chamber (NE) - Watchworks (god of invention,fire & secrets)
Insellageth (NG) - The Great Dragon of the North (god of dragons, magic, mystical power, and knowledge)
Tsartha (N) - Gertrude, the Gray Dragon (goddess of healing, justice and motherhood)
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 am

Joy of joys. Thanks, Mac and Havard, for this expanded list.

More notes to go into the hopper for future installments of Thorn's Chronicle....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:12 am

RobJN wrote:Joy of joys. Thanks, Mac and Havard, for this expanded list.

More notes to go into the hopper for future installments of Thorn's Chronicle....
I'll leave you to work out the Blackmoor deity - Mystara Immortal mapping! :twisted:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:16 am

One thing I don't get is why Temrin doesn't get a listing when Hadeen does. That clearly looks like a mistake to me.

The god called "The One" could technically be either of these two gods, so I would definitely have been asking Dave Arneson for a clarification if I had got into Blackmoor a few years back. I hope there is another source that can clear this up.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:One thing I don't get is why Temrin doesn't get a listing when Hadeen does. That clearly looks like a mistake to me.
Agreed, unless he was left out on purpose, or Hadeen was included on purpose. Perhaps out of the "The One" phenomenon, or something else? Personally, I think it could be interesting to link Temrin to Khoronus somehow. In the Blackmoor sourcebook, Khoronus is just some General dude, but in Mystara, he is known as Father Time...
The god called "The One" could technically be either of these two gods, so I would definitely have been asking Dave Arneson for a clarification if I had got into Blackmoor a few years back. I hope there is another source that can clear this up.
Could you point me to where this is mentioned in the sourcebook?
Dave Arneson is no longer available for questions, but from what I understand, this whole pantheon never really appeared in his original campaign (religion was quite vague there), so some of the people involved with the 3E line might know more.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:49 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:I don't know where I got the reference from, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the demons used to be common in the North (ie Blackmoor) in ages past. This seemed straight out of REH to me.
If these were balrogs, though, I'd be inclined to borrow from Tolkien's myths instead.
Yeah, I've been looking more into the Tolkien side of things later on. I think borrowing from both would be fun too, opening up for some interesting possibilities. With alot of these things, keeping it quite vague like Arneson did helps preserve the mystery and darkness surrounding these entities...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:One thing I don't get is why Temrin doesn't get a listing when Hadeen does. That clearly looks like a mistake to me.
Agreed, unless he was left out on purpose, or Hadeen was included on purpose. Perhaps out of the "The One" phenomenon, or something else? Personally, I think it could be interesting to link Temrin to Khoronus somehow. In the Blackmoor sourcebook, Khoronus is just some General dude, but in Mystara, he is known as Father Time...
Well, Thantos has murdered Temrin and stolen the portfolio of time from him. So if Khoronus is destined to become the god (Immortal) of time, then he would have to kill Thantos and take the power from him. Perhaps Khoronus could help get revenge for the murder of Temrin and be rewarded with godhood.

Maybe Age of the Wolf deals with this issue.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The god called "The One" could technically be either of these two gods, so I would definitely have been asking Dave Arneson for a clarification if I had got into Blackmoor a few years back. I hope there is another source that can clear this up.
Could you point me to where this is mentioned in the sourcebook?
You asked me this above. It is in the Monk of the Clan of the Fallen Star background on pages 32-35. Is this something that isn't in the hardback edition of the book, perhaps? Or maybe my revised edition is organised a different way.
Havard wrote:Dave Arneson is no longer available for questions, but from what I understand, this whole pantheon never really appeared in his original campaign (religion was quite vague there), so some of the people involved with the 3E line might know more.
I know the sad news about Dave Arneson. I just meant that if I had found Blackmoor ten years ago, I would have asked him some stuff (and probably built Blackmoorspace :oops: ).

Hmm. So are these gods something that was invented by Zeitguist Games or something that Dave Arneson started to work on in more recent times?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:49 pm

Big Mac wrote:Well, Thantos has murdered Temrin and stolen the portfolio of time from him. So if Khoronus is destined to become the god (Immortal) of time, then he would have to kill Thantos and take the power from him. Perhaps Khoronus could help get revenge for the murder of Temrin and be rewarded with godhood.
Thanatos is also from the Mystara cosmology so that would fit. I like this idea actually. Something else from the Mystara canon that was not mentioned in Blackmoor material is the Immortal Asterius, said to have been a mortal at the time of Blackmoor, who gained immortality through preventing some plot by Thanatos. Perhaps Asterius was working for Khoronus at this time? Cthulhudrew suggested that Thanatos' plot involved the Afridhi controlled Well of Souls (DA4) and that Asterius was instrumental in destroying this artifact. Perhaps Temrin's death was part of the creation of the Well of Souls?
Maybe Age of the Wolf deals with this issue.
Possibly, though we will most likely never know... :(

You asked me this above. It is in the Monk of the Clan of the Fallen Star background on pages 32-35. Is this something that isn't in the hardback edition of the book, perhaps? Or maybe my revised edition is organised a different way.
Ah, is this under the description of the Monk Class? If so, that is indeed missing from the hardback. It only mentions a division between monks and one order being the Order of Mystics. Crap, that does it. I'm going to have to buy the Softcover pdf right away :)
I know the sad news about Dave Arneson. I just meant that if I had found Blackmoor ten years ago, I would have asked him some stuff (and probably built Blackmoorspace :oops: ).
Arneson may no longer be with us, but there are others who have intimate knowledge of the setting, including some of the original players. They might be able to help out.
Hmm. So are these gods something that was invented by Zeitguist Games or something that Dave Arneson started to work on in more recent times?
They were added during the ZGG era, though Arneson was apparently quite heavily involved in the ZGG work so its hard to say whether it can be attributed to him or not. Clearly others (Dustin Clingman, Ari Marmell, Jeff Quinn, CA Suleiman, Harley Stroh etc) contributed as well. With the Gods you will also notice that several Mystaran Immortals have been included (Thanatos, Hella, Odir, Terra, Ordana, Faunus, Khoronus). This is something I and other Mystara fans (Jacob Skytte may have been influential here) lobbied for during the production of the first book.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Just bought the Softcover PDF. Wow, an entire Class added that wasnt included in the Hardcover. And I never knew about it! :shock:

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Havard wrote:In the Blackmoor sourcebook, Khoronus is just some General dude, but in Mystara, he is known as Father Time...
I liked that, actually. It shows that this really is a much earlier era, shortly after Khoronus' ascension, when he was still a low-ranking Immortal; the station of "patron of Time" really belongs to the full Hierarch of the sphere, so Khoronus wouldn't have gotten it until much later. Perhaps Temrin was the Hierarch of Time before Khoronus.

Khoronus couldn't have killed Thanatos, of course, since Thanatos is still very much alive in the modern era. The idea that Thanatos was once a mortal who developed a plague that could kill Immortals is an interesting one - different from the Mystara-canon idea that he's been around since the beginning of time as far as anyone knows, but workable. With the way the Spheres of Power work in the Immortal's set, though, I'm wondering how it would work that the Sphere of Time might actually lose the right for one of its members to call himself Patron of Time to an Immortal of the Sphere of Entropy, which is what Thanatos is, and how Khoronus might win it back. Surely it would have to be more complex than merely killing someone; Thanatos would have to somehow hold the whole sphere hostage, I think. The book doesn't actually say he "stole" the portfolio of Time, though, only that he gained the ability to control time after becoming Immortal. A simpler explanation might be that killing an Immortal was the final test in Thanatos's quest for Immortality, and as an Immortal of Entropy, the ability to control time (especially to speed it up, corrupt it, or shatter it) was within his purview. It'd be ironic if Thanatos was actually the original creator of the Comeback Inn, and thus the inadvertent patron of Khoronus.

I get the impression that Asterius was from later in Blackmoor's history, at a time when technology is more common than magic, but this isn't perfectly clear and I suppose you could place him at basically any point in Blackmoor's history, as long as it's well before the Great Rain of Fire.

I think the difference between Kadeen and Temrin is that Kadeen is still very important to a modern culture, while Temrin may be almost forgotten, having died so long ago that he isn't relevant except as part of Thanatos' and Sollus' backstories.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:21 am

Havard wrote:Below is a list of the Deities presented in the 3E Blackmoor line.

lots of deities

Dragon Pantheon
Chamber (NE)
Insellageth (NG)
Tsartha (N)

And is there an alternate for "God of non-standard Dragons"?

If not, then a Dragon-Turtle god works fine.

:mrgreen:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Havard wrote:Just bought the Softcover PDF. Wow, an entire Class added that wasnt included in the Hardcover. And I never knew about it! :shock:
That explains why we were having such a weird conversation. :lol:

I wonder if the "added bits" are listed anywhere on the ZGG website (or maybe available as a web enhancement).
BlackBat242 wrote:
Havard wrote:Below is a list of the Deities presented in the 3E Blackmoor line.

lots of deities

Dragon Pantheon
Chamber (NE)
Insellageth (NG)
Tsartha (N)

And is there an alternate for "God of non-standard Dragons"?

If not, then a Dragon-Turtle god works fine.

:mrgreen:
I mentioned this too (on the Havard is a freak! thread, but looking at this again, I am very very tempted to create a god called Harvard who takes the form of a six-legged dragon turtle. :P

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:That explains why we were having such a weird conversation. :lol:
Heh! There are hints about a falling star and such dropped elsewhere in the book, so I assumed that was what you were talking about. Is it just me or is the class pretty much indentical to a standard Monk in game mechanical terms?

I'm a bit surprised at all this focus on the Fallen Star in the sourcebook...I think I will start a separate thread to explain why..
I wonder if the "added bits" are listed anywhere on the ZGG website (or maybe available as a web enhancement).
Not AFAIK. IF they had simply made a statement somewhere where I could find that I was missing out on something beyond mere errata, I would have bought this book years ago. I think giving it out as a freebie would have been a decent thing to do though.
I mentioned this too (on the Havard is a freak! thread, but looking at this again, I am very very tempted to create a god called Harvard who takes the form of a six-legged dragon turtle. :P
Myah-myah-myah :lol:

Havar

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Well, Thantos has murdered Temrin and stolen the portfolio of time from him. So if Khoronus is destined to become the god (Immortal) of time, then he would have to kill Thantos and take the power from him. Perhaps Khoronus could help get revenge for the murder of Temrin and be rewarded with godhood.
Thanatos is also from the Mystara cosmology so that would fit. I like this idea actually. Something else from the Mystara canon that was not mentioned in Blackmoor material is the Immortal Asterius, said to have been a mortal at the time of Blackmoor, who gained immortality through preventing some plot by Thanatos. Perhaps Asterius was working for Khoronus at this time? Cthulhudrew suggested that Thanatos' plot involved the Afridhi controlled Well of Souls (DA4) and that Asterius was instrumental in destroying this artifact. Perhaps Temrin's death was part of the creation of the Well of Souls?
Hmm. This sounds like it could be made into the basis of some sort of epic Blackmoor campaign. You could either make Asterius into a pre-gen PC or use him as an NPC.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Maybe Age of the Wolf deals with this issue.
Possibly, though we will most likely never know... :(
Hmm. There was a late 3e Ravenloft sourcebook that got turned into a freebie giveaway. Maybe ZGG or Code Monkey could do that.

Or, if this is only partially finished, perhaps this is something that could be converted into a fan project.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:You asked me this above. It is in the Monk of the Clan of the Fallen Star background on pages 32-35. Is this something that isn't in the hardback edition of the book, perhaps? Or maybe my revised edition is organised a different way.
Ah, is this under the description of the Monk Class? If so, that is indeed missing from the hardback. It only mentions a division between monks and one order being the Order of Mystics. Crap, that does it. I'm going to have to buy the Softcover pdf right away :)
PDF, huh? Did you get the fold out map with that?
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I know the sad news about Dave Arneson. I just meant that if I had found Blackmoor ten years ago, I would have asked him some stuff (and probably built Blackmoorspace :oops: ).
Arneson may no longer be with us, but there are others who have intimate knowledge of the setting, including some of the original players. They might be able to help out.
That is a good suggestion.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. So are these gods something that was invented by Zeitguist Games or something that Dave Arneson started to work on in more recent times?
They were added during the ZGG era, though Arneson was apparently quite heavily involved in the ZGG work so its hard to say whether it can be attributed to him or not. Clearly others (Dustin Clingman, Ari Marmell, Jeff Quinn, CA Suleiman, Harley Stroh etc) contributed as well. With the Gods you will also notice that several Mystaran Immortals have been included (Thanatos, Hella, Odir, Terra, Ordana, Faunus, Khoronus). This is something I and other Mystara fans (Jacob Skytte may have been influential here) lobbied for during the production of the first book.
Sadly I am to ignorant about Mystara, to be able to notice this sort of thing. But it causes no problem for these gods to be here, so I'm glad they did it.

Of course, the question implied by this connection is: how to deities turn into Immortals! :twisted:

And if you use Greyhawk as the future of Mystara: how do the Immortals turn back into deities again! :twisted: :twisted:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. This sounds like it could be made into the basis of some sort of epic Blackmoor campaign. You could either make Asterius into a pre-gen PC or use him as an NPC.
Yeah, I think that was one of those discussions we were having when that came up. I've been thinking about introducing Asterius as an NPC IMC, although I am hesitant to make an NPC who will steal the limelight from the PCs.
Hmm. There was a late 3e Ravenloft sourcebook that got turned into a freebie giveaway. Maybe ZGG or Code Monkey could do that.
That would have been nice. Might be they want to take the ideas from that book and find some way to make money off it though...
Or, if this is only partially finished, perhaps this is something that could be converted into a fan project.
They said at some point that it was finished, but now I doubt that was true at all. I have loads of ideas for a fan project on the subject though. :)
PDF, huh? Did you get the fold out map with that?
Yeah. Well not fold out ofcourse, but a scan which was really nice. You can get the scan version off the preview at Drivethru if you are interested...

Would have loved to get a hard copy of the book too ofcourse :)

Of course, the question implied by this connection is: how to deities turn into Immortals! :twisted:

And if you use Greyhawk as the future of Mystara: how do the Immortals turn back into deities again! :twisted: :twisted:
*lol*
They are pretty much the same thing as I see it. However, which ranks of Immortals correspond to Greater, Minor, Intermediate etc deity and which Sphere to assign to each will require some thought. Might get to that eventually ;)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That explains why we were having such a weird conversation. :lol:
Heh! There are hints about a falling star and such dropped elsewhere in the book, so I assumed that was what you were talking about. Is it just me or is the class pretty much indentical to a standard Monk in game mechanical terms?
It is a monk with a couple of cleric substitution levels.

If these monks were given special permission to multiclass as Clerics of The One (without loosing the ability to advance as monks) they would have a much lower spellcasting level. That seems a bit high to me. Maybe a spellcasting level = half class level progression would have been fairer. It would have made them more in balance with the paladin or ranger classes.
Havard wrote:I'm a bit surprised at all this focus on the Fallen Star in the sourcebook...I think I will start a separate thread to explain why..
I'll go look for that thread then. As someone specifically interested in space, the concept that stars = gods is one that could become a hook to hang Blackmoor space onto. Dragonlance has done constellations = gods, but a single-star relationship seems like something new.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if the "added bits" are listed anywhere on the ZGG website (or maybe available as a web enhancement).
Not AFAIK. IF they had simply made a statement somewhere where I could find that I was missing out on something beyond mere errata, I would have bought this book years ago. I think giving it out as a freebie would have been a decent thing to do though.
Well, I was going to offer to compare notes with you (so you could see what was missing), but now I guess I don't need to! :lol:

Do you think it is worth putting up the table of contents of Blackmoor books somewhere? If you look at the SJR2 Realmspace article on Spelljammer Wiki you can see the sort of level of detail that I would like to see provided about Blackmoor products (if there was something like a Blackmoor Wiki :P ).

Return to “Blackmoor”