List of Blackmoor Deities

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: List of Blackmoor Deities

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. This sounds like it could be made into the basis of some sort of epic Blackmoor campaign. You could either make Asterius into a pre-gen PC or use him as an NPC.
Yeah, I think that was one of those discussions we were having when that came up. I've been thinking about introducing Asterius as an NPC IMC, although I am hesitant to make an NPC who will steal the limelight from the PCs.
I'd be hesitant too. I suppose you could always make Asterius an NPC that the PCs need to assist as part of their own quest. That way turning Asterius into a god could be something that earns them XP.

Another possibility would be to put Asterius in the group (as more of a background NPC) and present the PCs with the ability to decide who gets to take the place of a god. They could then either let Asterius do it or have one of there characters turned into an NPC god. I know which one I would choose, but it might be fun to see what your players do.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. There was a late 3e Ravenloft sourcebook that got turned into a freebie giveaway. Maybe ZGG or Code Monkey could do that.
That would have been nice. Might be they want to take the ideas from that book and find some way to make money off it though...
Maybe they could do both things.

Or failing that, maybe you could offer to buy it from them! It isn't as if they can do anything else with it! :twisted:
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Or, if this is only partially finished, perhaps this is something that could be converted into a fan project.
They said at some point that it was finished, but now I doubt that was true at all. I have loads of ideas for a fan project on the subject though. :)
Maybe the content is "finished" but not typesetting. Or maybe they don't have the artwork done. Or maybe they need to add in some crunchy stuff.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:PDF, huh? Did you get the fold out map with that?
Yeah. Well not fold out ofcourse, but a scan which was really nice. You can get the scan version off the preview at Drivethru if you are interested...

Would have loved to get a hard copy of the book too ofcourse :)
<appears in front of Harvard in ghostly form>

You will go to the Noble Knight website. There you will find the ZGG softcover of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor for $29.95.
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Of course, the question implied by this connection is: how to deities turn into Immortals! :twisted:

And if you use Greyhawk as the future of Mystara: how do the Immortals turn back into deities again! :twisted: :twisted:
*lol*
They are pretty much the same thing as I see it. However, which ranks of Immortals correspond to Greater, Minor, Intermediate etc deity and which Sphere to assign to each will require some thought. Might get to that eventually ;)
I'm sure that could be worked out by comparing Blackmoor with Mystara. You could then use the Blackmoor god information for a 3e Mystara conversion and the Mystara Immortal information for a 0e Blackmoor retro-conversion.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 pm

Updated the original post to include

Brr'bb't
The Egg of Coot
The God of Id

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Inspired by this thread, I decided to mix and match various deities from the different cultures of Blackmoor and also link them with Mystaran Immortals. I have posted the result here.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:In the Blackmoor sourcebook, Khoronus is just some General dude, but in Mystara, he is known as Father Time...
I liked that, actually. It shows that this really is a much earlier era, shortly after Khoronus' ascension, when he was still a low-ranking Immortal; the station of "patron of Time" really belongs to the full Hierarch of the sphere, so Khoronus wouldn't have gotten it until much later. Perhaps Temrin was the Hierarch of Time before Khoronus.

Khoronus couldn't have killed Thanatos, of course, since Thanatos is still very much alive in the modern era. The idea that Thanatos was once a mortal who developed a plague that could kill Immortals is an interesting one - different from the Mystara-canon idea that he's been around since the beginning of time as far as anyone knows, but workable. With the way the Spheres of Power work in the Immortal's set, though, I'm wondering how it would work that the Sphere of Time might actually lose the right for one of its members to call himself Patron of Time to an Immortal of the Sphere of Entropy, which is what Thanatos is, and how Khoronus might win it back. Surely it would have to be more complex than merely killing someone; Thanatos would have to somehow hold the whole sphere hostage, I think. The book doesn't actually say he "stole" the portfolio of Time, though, only that he gained the ability to control time after becoming Immortal. A simpler explanation might be that killing an Immortal was the final test in Thanatos's quest for Immortality, and as an Immortal of Entropy, the ability to control time (especially to speed it up, corrupt it, or shatter it) was within his purview. It'd be ironic if Thanatos was actually the original creator of the Comeback Inn, and thus the inadvertent patron of Khoronus.

I get the impression that Asterius was from later in Blackmoor's history, at a time when technology is more common than magic, but this isn't perfectly clear and I suppose you could place him at basically any point in Blackmoor's history, as long as it's well before the Great Rain of Fire.

I think the difference between Kadeen and Temrin is that Kadeen is still very important to a modern culture, while Temrin may be almost forgotten, having died so long ago that he isn't relevant except as part of Thanatos' and Sollus' backstories.

I've been doing some thinking about the Temple of Id, connecting it to Thanatos. I am also wondering if Sollus could in fact be another name for Asterius. In the Blackmoor version he is associated with the sun, but in the Mystara version he is associated with the moon (and perhaps stars). The relationship between Thanatos and Sollus certainly corresponds to the one between Thanatos and Asterius. Also, Asterius' quest for Immortality, could have been linked to the destruction of the Temple of Id, rather than the Well of Souls, as suggested earlier?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Is Temrin canon or fanon (or something in between)?

EDIT: I found him in ZGG Blackmoor Campaign Setting book, in Thanatos blurb, and I remember Havard's blog posts (Keres etc.)... is there anything else about Temrin?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:19 am

Those are the same gods they list in the 4e book (with the 4e alignments, of course). Though, the 4e books has three sections: Gods of the North (that is the Thonian pantheon with the dragon gods mixed in), and the Dwarven and elven pantheons.

Charis is not mentioned in the dwarven pantheon, but there is a feat mentioned him... or her? Whatever, I always wondered about this feat. So, it seems Charis got left out from the 4e book as a mistake.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 am

Zeromaru X wrote:. So, it seems Charis got left out from the 4e book as a mistake.
Did they leave him out because he's the god of gnomes, and gnomes weren't a core PC race in early 4e?

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 am

That is a good reason. Though, technically you could play a gnome in early 4e, as the MM had rules to use certain monsters as playable races, gnomes being one of them. But I guess your point was the reason for leaving him out.

Yet, they left Charis' Channel Divinity feat in the book, that means Charis was planed to be in the book at some point.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Very useful. Thank you for the list.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Is Temrin canon or fanon (or something in between)?

EDIT: I found him in ZGG Blackmoor Campaign Setting book, in Thanatos blurb, and I remember Havard's blog posts (Keres etc.)... is there anything else about Temrin?
Yes, Temirn is official, but only from the description of Thanatos. He was the God of Time before he was killed by Thanatos. Not that Khoronus is the Patron of Time in modern day Mystara. I think some of these storylines are related to ZGG folks trying to maneuver around Mystara canon in different ways.

I remember suggesting to the ZGG authors to include Mystara and Greyhawk teasers to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. It is possible that they listened to my advice, though obviously they could have had other very speccific ideas of their own. Faunus, Ordana, Knoronus, Thanatos and others are likely specific nods to Mystara fans.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Those are the same gods they list in the 4e book (with the 4e alignments, of course). Though, the 4e books has three sections: Gods of the North (that is the Thonian pantheon with the dragon gods mixed in), and the Dwarven and elven pantheons.
Was Charis the only God omitted from the 4E Book? I seem to recall them cutting down the number of gods in that book.

The 4E and 3E books both combine a bunch of pantheons into the "Gods of the North" section, but I specifically wanted to divide them up based on the descriptions of each God into more specific cultural groups. I am sure that there could be alot of situations where Thonian humans of Blackmoor worship Peshwa Gods etc, but I thought it was more useful to at least acknowledge the origins of each.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”