[4E] Age of the Wolf

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderators: Havard, Chimpman

[4E] Age of the Wolf

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:09 pm

This is rumor control! ;)

As mentioned elsewhere, the second product in the 4E Blackmoor line, originally labelled 'Blackmoor 2nd Edition' or TimeJump seems to be in the making.

What is known about this book?

* It describes Blackmoor 269 (in 1299) years after the First Campaign setting
* This will be the default era for the 4E MMRPG (aka 'Living Blackmoor') and much of the upcoming 4E line
* The Title Age of the Wolf was mentioned by CMP's Robert Reed recently
* It will include a new class, the Inventor (adaptation from Clock & Steam IIRC)
* Speculation: This era will see fully fledged Tieflings as opposed to the almost human looking Tieflings from the First Campaign.

Trivia: According to the Mystara timeline, this it is around this time that Rheddrian Benekander destroys the City of the Gods in order to prevent the destruction of all of Blackmoor. The reactors in the city have been destabilized by his rival whose name escapes be at the moment, who has sold off technology to the Blackmoorians. Would be interesting to see some of this incorporated...
Stay tuned for more rumors :)

I am really interested in seeing what else they will be doing with Age of the Wolf. I love the name by the way. The name gives me associations to norse mythology. Perhaps the Skandaharians play a central role in this era? I also wonder what role technology will play 200 years after steam tech started appearing. The inclusion of the inventor class (update from Clock & Steam IIRC) does suggest that tech is relevant....

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [4E] Timejump / Age of the Wolf

Postby Chimpman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Hmmm... to be honest, I haven't been really excited about a Blackmoor product until I read this. How much of the older material do you think is needed in order to make Age of the Wolf worthwhile, or do you think that as a product it can stand on its own?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hmmm... to be honest, I haven't been really excited about a Blackmoor product until I read this. How much of the older material do you think is needed in order to make Age of the Wolf worthwhile, or do you think that as a product it can stand on its own?

I really dont know anything more than what I have posted above, but we can speculate. Personally I think it would make sense if they wrote it in such a way that the First Campaign book is required or at least strongly recommended to use Age of the Wolf, especially if you will be using 4E ofcourse. 3E or older material will not be required, though it can ofcourse enhance the Blackmoor experience.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:42 am

Game Year for Age of the Wolf confirmed at EnWorld to be 1299 (269 years into the future).

PDF version will be available at GenCon. Yay! :)

I have edited the first post to reflect the most recent news about the timeline.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [4E] Age of the Wolf

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 am

Alright, I had decided not to do so, but its just too hard to resist...

While I would be very surprised if the upcoming Age of the Wolf supplement takes any Mystara canon into account, I have been thinking about what Mystara's Blackmoor would look like 269 years after DA1.

These events are taken from LoZompatore's timeline (modified):

+1 Year: Uther is kidnapped by the agents of the Iron Duke. The rulership is entrusted to the Council of the Regents (DA1).
Uberstar Khazakhum naively falls into a trap while hunting beastmen, and he is brought captive in a beastmen fortress. The dwarves set up right away a military force to free him, but they are defeated and pushed back until the gates of Northern Delving, where they are sieged by the beastmen. This is the start of the Sixth War between dwarves and beastmen. Lortz Khazakhum, the son of Uberstar, becomes ad-interim Regent of the Mines. The siege forces him to interrupt any communications with Blackmoor and the humans (DA1).

+2 Years: A group of adventurers from AC 1000 reaches Blackmoor - mostly by accident - through the Comeback Inn, and manages to free king Uther. Once the king is free, the Blackmoorians send some agents in AC 1000 settling them in the cities of Corunglain and Glantri. The agents should act as adventurers' recruiters in case the Kingdom of Blackmoor should need them. (DA1)
The Afridhis extend their road network in the High Hak in order to connect the Duchy of Ten with their main bases in the plains (DA3).

+3 Years: Uther sends an expedition of adventurers to the Temple of the Frog in order to free an important noble that was kidnapped by the Froggies. During the attack, Sthepen Rocklin manages to escape and rebuilds the Order of the Frog. The Blackmoorians get some high tech devices from the battle site (DA2).
Some months later, Rikart Betz, a young alien space cadet unfairly charged by the Beagle captain Riesling escapes from the spaceship and crash-lands in Blackmoor territory, getting the attention of both King Uther and the Froggies. King Uther sends to the Beagle another scout mission, led by the Baron of Dragonia. The scouts reach the Beagle at the same time of a major attack on the spaceship defences led by Stephen Rocklin, who is resolved to replentish his supplies of weapons and equipments. The Blackmoorish scouts manage to free some captive Blackmoorians and to get many high-tech devices before leaving the site. Unlukily, the negotiations with the aliens for an alliance against Thonia are unsuccessful, but the stolen Beagle equipment begins to be studied by the scholars of the University of Blackmoor (DA3). Stephen Rocklin also manages to get some loot and escape to his base, where is able to equip a small army (Return to the City of the Gods adventure).
After this incursion the crew of the Beagle become more and more dissatisfied (WotI).

+4 years: The Blackmoorians recruit a group of adventurers from AC 1000, in order to move around the Zugzul profecy about the Well of the Souls. The group reaches Tor Kurram and destroys the Well of the Souls, thus ending the continuum perturbations and tre alternate timeline (DA4). It is possible that after the destruction of the Well of the Souls the Comeback Inn time portal is not any more aligned with AC 1000.

Lo Zompatore lists the following as ocurring 1-10 years, but I would say 1-200 years is more correct:

- Stephen Rocklin attaks again the Beagle with his hig-tech army: this time he tries to conquer it and to exploit its resources in order to build a technological empire. At the same time, captain Riesling is searching for allies in the defence of the starship, and he may find some help from the Blackmoorians (Return to the City of the Gods adventure).

There was never a Return to the City of the Gods adventure, but if there was one, this is what is likely to have taken place in it.

The WotI does not mention Stephen Rocklin nor Bork Riesling at the time of Ogdoban Treel and Rheddrian Benekander events. We might think that Rockin and Riesling killed each other during this final assault on the spaceship. Moreover, this last battle might greatly weaken the spaceship defences, thus enabling an easier access to Beagle's technology from the Mystarans and the treason of Ogdoban Treel described in WotI.

According to Return to the Temple of the Frog (WotC adventure), Rocklin actually becomes a Vampire and returns to the Temple of the Frog, 30 years later lurking about there.

- Dwarves swiftly introduces human technology in their society. This process was already ongoing when Uberstar Khazakhum was kidnapped in 4001 BC (from DA1), and it likely goes on again at the end of the Sixth War against the beastmen.

- The Blackmoorians start to imitate the style and the fashion of the AC 1000 adventurers dresses, because they think it is a more practical and "modern" way of dressing (from DA1).

- Ogdoban Treel kills the whole survivor crew members of the Beagle, including the ones that are in cryogenical stasis, so to have a free hand in selling as much Beagle's technology as possible to the Mystarans. Driven by his greed he sells a key element in the regulation of the energy fluxes of the power engine of the spaceship. The engine starts to accumulate too much energy and it risks to cause such a violent explosion that Mystara will be destroyed. Luckily the engineer Rheddrian Benekander survived the slaughtering of Ogdoban Treel thanks to his modified personal stasis chamber and awakes just in time to stop the explosion, turning it in an implosion that annihilates the Beagle without harming the rest of the planet. Rheddrian is striken by a huge amount of energy and becomes an Immortal. (WotI)

The last events here, the Treel/Benekander conflict and the destruction of the City of the Gods is what I believe occurs much later than 10 years...probably more like 200 years, though there is no canon answer to that. In any case, the City of the Gods should likely be gone by the Age of the Wolf setting.

The Blackmoor Empire:
- Thanks to Beagle's technology the Blackmoorians are able to build a technological society, which in a short time imposes itself on its neighbours (HW). Possibly in this period the Fey people leave the lands of Blackmoor seeking shelter in the woods of the Azcans and the Oltecs (PC1 and HW:SoA supplement)

And by 500 years after DA1, Blackmoor will truly have risen to becoming an empire. That doesnt mean it couldnt have had setbacks along the way though, which is what I believe the Age of the Wolf is really about. One of the upcoming supplements is called "the Ruins of Blackmoor" afterall.

I am curious to see if it is possible to reconcile the Age of the Wolf supplements with Mystara canon though.... :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Agh, bad news. The book has been delayed for some reason. This is pretty frustrating since I really want to see this book. I will post more if I hear anything.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:37 pm

According to Mynex, AoW should be available in about 5 weeks...

Oh the pain of waiting...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Havard wrote:Alright, I had decided not to do so, but its just too hard to resist...

While I would be very surprised if the upcoming Age of the Wolf supplement takes any Mystara canon into account, I have been thinking about what Mystara's Blackmoor would look like 269 years after DA1.

Hmm. Maybe, when all the Age of the Wolf material is out, you can make a fan netbook that shows people how to hook it into Mystara. (And it would be nice to see another two that show people how to hook it into Greyhawk and Wilderlands.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:42 am

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Maybe, when all the Age of the Wolf material is out, you can make a fan netbook that shows people how to hook it into Mystara. (And it would be nice to see another two that show people how to hook it into Greyhawk and Wilderlands.)

Hehe. Not sure if I can promise a netbook, but certainly an article or two about adaptations. In the case of Greyhawk, I am wondering how to affix Blackmoor to the GH timeline...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Maybe, when all the Age of the Wolf material is out, you can make a fan netbook that shows people how to hook it into Mystara. (And it would be nice to see another two that show people how to hook it into Greyhawk and Wilderlands.)

Hehe. Not sure if I can promise a netbook, but certainly an article or two about adaptations. In the case of Greyhawk, I am wondering how to affix Blackmoor to the GH timeline...

Maybe that is something that could be tackled in the Greyhawk forum. :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Big Mac wrote:Maybe that is something that could be tackled in the Greyhawk forum. :D

Done :)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2378&p=33713#p33713

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:58 am

I have uploaded the Character creation rules to my website. There is some more info on the Age of the Wolf in that document (go to the downloads section).

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:16 pm

The Cover for Age of the Wolf has just been posted on my blog :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 pm

New Age of the Wolf art has been posted on my blog:
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... f-art.html

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dave L » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Havard wrote:New Age of the Wolf art has been posted on my blog:
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... f-art.html

Havard

Hmm, I know absolutely nothing about Tieflings, so that would have been another learning curve for me!
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Chimpman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:57 pm

The art doesn't look half bad. One more reason to be sad this was never published. Oh... and I love the inventor class. It's something I could have used in Mystara 2300 BC as well... :(
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Chimpman wrote:The art doesn't look half bad. One more reason to be sad this was never published. Oh... and I love the inventor class. It's something I could have used in Mystara 2300 BC as well... :(

Some details on the Inventor class were included in the teaser thing they released for the MMRPG. Do you have it?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Havard wrote:
Chimpman wrote:The art doesn't look half bad. One more reason to be sad this was never published. Oh... and I love the inventor class. It's something I could have used in Mystara 2300 BC as well... :(

Some details on the Inventor class were included in the teaser thing they released for the MMRPG. Do you have it?

No, but I'd love to get my hands on it. Is there somewhere I can pick it up?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Dave L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:

No, but I'd love to get my hands on it. Is there somewhere I can pick it up?

I think this is what Havard is referring to. 4th item on the list.
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Dave L wrote:I think this is what Havard is referring to. 4th item on the list.

Yeah,
that's the one. I wasn't sure that I had uploaded it already :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dave L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Havard wrote:

Yeah,

Havard

I had the advantage of having downloaded it only a couple of weeks ago. ;)
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Dave L wrote:I had the advantage of having downloaded it only a couple of weeks ago. ;)

That would help, wouldnt it? :) Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

A 3.5E version of the Inventor Class appeared in the Clock & Steam supplement.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dave L » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Havard wrote:
A 3.5E version of the Inventor Class appeared in the Clock & Steam supplement.

Havard

Ah, that's on next month's shopping list - I got The Wizard's Cabal and Riders of Hak this month, simply because I wanted to get the most setting material I could, before getting the more crunch oriented material. I think the 4e Campaign book is also on my list, although it might get put back a month in favour of a pdf map of the continent of Rhadamanthia ...
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Chimpman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 pm

Havard wrote:

Yeah,

Havard

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was looking for! Now... I only need some time to actually sit down and read through it...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 am

Dave L wrote:Ah, that's on next month's shopping list - I got The Wizard's Cabal and Riders of Hak this month, simply because I wanted to get the most setting material I could, before getting the more crunch oriented material. I think the 4e Campaign book is also on my list, although it might get put back a month in favour of a pdf map of the continent of Rhadamanthia ...

Makes sense. The Rhadamantia map has been on my wishlist for a while now too. Not sure what I've been waiting for really... :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Next

Return to Blackmoor