[Mystara] Blackmoorian Regional Map and Dwarves

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Chimpman
Hadozee

[Mystara] Blackmoorian Regional Map and Dwarves

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:26 pm

In looking at the Blackmoorian Regional Map posted on the Vaults by Havard, I notice that there is no mention of a dwarven kingdom. I'm pretty sure that dwarves were a part of Blackmoor (and I'm assuming Thonia). Thonia may even contain some dwarven member kingdom, but not being a Blackmoor expert I have no idea.

Can someone tell me if there is any information about where major dwarven populations would be in relation to Blackmoor and Thonia on the above reference map? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Mystara] Blackmoorian Regional Map and Dwarves

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:20 pm

Ok, I've just found this thread Dwarves Outside Rockhome, that may have some answers for me. Any other input is still welcome however ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Chimpman wrote:Can someone tell me if there is any information about where major dwarven populations would be in relation to Blackmoor and Thonia on the above reference map? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The primary dwarven kingdom in Blackmoor is the Great Northern Delving, located in the Crystal Peaks and roughly (based on memory here) between the Barony of Dragonia and the Barony of Bramwald. I don't recall any other dwarven realms/nations/holdings ever being mentioned aside from that one (where the Regent of the Mines) holds sway, but I'll double check.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Beyond what Cthulhudrew said, the 3E/4E books state that all mountainous regions in the "North" (ie Blackmoor and surrounding) are either current or former Dwarven holdings.

I haven't found out anything about Thonia or other areas outside Arneson's map yet, but based on the HW box maps, there is a mountainous region stretching through the middle of Thonia. I would be surprised if there arent any Dwarven holdings there.

King Uberstar's holdings are supposedly the greatest in the world at this time though.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 am

Looking through modules DA1-4, I see the following:

(p.43-44): There are roughly 16,000 dwarves within the kingdom of Blackmoor. The dwarves of the Crystal Peaks (the Northern Delving, under the rule of the Regent of the Mines), is the largest and richest dwarven stronghold in the North (10,000 dwarves).

There are also dwarves in the Stormkiller Mountains to the north of the Northern Delving, who are being drawn into the Orc-Dwarf war in the Crystal Peaks.

In Dave Arneson's Blackmoor D20, I find these references:

(p. 112): The Peaks of Booh contain tunnels and caves as evidence of past dwarven occupation, but there are few (if any) dwarves there now.

The Haven Peaks are home to renegade dwarves who are not recognized by the Regent of the Mines and are rumored to mix technology and magic for evil (Modrigswerg?).

(p.149-150): More on the Northern Delving and the acknowledgement that the Regent of the Mines is the ultimate authority over all the dwarven lands in the North.

(p.150): The Black Hills are home to coal mining dwarves. (SE of Crystal Peaks)

(p.151): More on the Stormkiller dwarves.

(p.151-152): The Iron Hills (ENE of Crystal Peaks), are home to iron mining dwarves.

(p.152): The Dragon Hills (SW of Crystal Peaks, foothills of the Valley of the Ancients) are home to subterranean dwarvish clans.

That's it as far as I can tell from the products I own, though I'm sure dwarves have also made homes elsewhere. In particular, I'd be very surprised if there weren't some dwarvish holdings in the mountainous region of the Duchy of the Peaks, though doubtless not owing fealty/allegiance to the Regent of the Mines.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:19 am

Wow! Thanks folks - this is just what i was after!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 am

Chimpman wrote:Wow! Thanks folks - this is just what i was after!
NP. I'll keep looking to see if there are any other bits I've missed; and feel free to ask if you want some more info on any of the above. Obviously, it was just a general overview to mention the major dwarvish holdings, but the Blackmoor D20 book actually goes into a bit more detail about each of the regions.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 pm

I like this thread. I havent really paid too much interest to the lands of the dwarves untill now.

Also, I was never quite clear on the political situation between the Dwarven Mines, Bramwald, Erak and Blackmoor. Are these former three considered parts of Blackmoor or not? They clearly have alot of autonomy, although the dwarves seem to have been supporters of Uther from the start.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”