A year in (Mystara's) Blackmoor

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

RobJN
Dire Flumph

A year in (Mystara's) Blackmoor

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Do any of you happen to know what sort of calendar they used? I know the Known World of "today" uses a 12-month, 28-day reckoning (whether it be Thyatian or Alphatian).

However, the Shadow Elves use a 14-month, 24-day calendar, as influenced by the Refuge of Stone.

Was Rafiel, perhaps, influenced by the Blackmoor calendar when he laid down those verses?

Is there anything canon that lists the name and numbers of the months in a Blackmoor year?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: A year in (Mystara's) Blackmoor

Post by Chimpman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:32 am

RobJN wrote:Was Rafiel, perhaps, influenced by the Blackmoor calendar when he laid down those verses?
Oh... That's a very interesting thought. I suspect that the Blackmoorian calendar will actually turn out to be a lot more mundane (perhaps very similar to the modern Mystaran calendar), but I kind of like this idea.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:01 am

That is an interesting idea, although Rafiel might also have invented the shadowelf calendar out of whole cloth.

I'd probably use the names of the Blackmoor months given in the d20 campaign system (which uses a 12-month calendar). It would need some adjustment, though, since the months there often have more than 28 days (so a d20 Blackmoor year is substantially longer than a Mystaran year). Mostly a few of the holidays would have to be moved.

Anyway, the months there are: Asum, Chrislina, Yovenouom, Nuol, Kavain, Tihumia, Fukakas, Kuilan, Dumimia, Eaiwe, Hotien, and Jekumal.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:I'd probably use the names of the Blackmoor months given in the d20 campaign system (which uses a 12-month calendar). It would need some adjustment, though, since the months there often have more than 28 days (so a d20 Blackmoor year is substantially longer than a Mystaran year). Mostly a few of the holidays would have to be moved.
Hmm. I wonder if that is new Blackmoor stuff. If not, then maybe the Mystara world has shifted in its orbit. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:39 am

Big Mac wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:I'd probably use the names of the Blackmoor months given in the d20 campaign system (which uses a 12-month calendar). It would need some adjustment, though, since the months there often have more than 28 days (so a d20 Blackmoor year is substantially longer than a Mystaran year). Mostly a few of the holidays would have to be moved.
Hmm. I wonder if that is new Blackmoor stuff. If not, then maybe the Mystara world has shifted in its orbit. :)
That is a distinct possibility... The Great Rain of Fire could have shiften the orbit of the planet (it did tilt the axis). I suppose that if the blast was on the night side of the planet when it happened, it could have made the orbit smaller.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Return to “Blackmoor”