The Egg of Coot

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

The Egg of Coot

Post by yellowdingo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 am

From what I understand the Egg of Coot emerges to take control of some province (or causes the land to rise from the sea floor) and with 'advanced weaponry' and technology goes about establishing him/her/itself as a foe of Blackmoor.

Who or What is the Egg of Coot? Is it a Terraforming bot with advanced AI? OARD? Or a demonic fiend? Why is the Idea of the Egg tied to the FSS Beagle with its Egg flying pods and tech?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: The Egg of Coot

Post by Chimpman » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 pm

yellowdingo wrote:From what I understand the Egg of Coot emerges to take control of some province (or causes the land to rise from the sea floor) and with 'advanced weaponry' and technology goes about establishing him/her/itself as a foe of Blackmoor.

Who or What is the Egg of Coot? Is it a Terraforming bot with advanced AI? OARD? Or a demonic fiend? Why is the Idea of the Egg tied to the FSS Beagle with its Egg flying pods and tech?
I'm not sure there is any definitive, set in stone, explination for what the Egg of Coot actually is. I toyed with the idea that it could be a Galactic Federation level intelligence while I was working on Vaniae (M-Mars) when I developed a parallel entity called the Egg of Vaniae, but I don't think that the only possibility (nor is it the one I would endorse the most).

I think the most prevalent theory as of late, is that the Egg is some minion of the Outer Beings... or possibly an extension of the OBs themselves.

Like with most of the loosely defined campaign elements, it can be whatever works for your campaign.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:57 pm

It could be anything really. Arneson intentionally kept the true nature of the Egg vague. There are several rumours to what it might actually be (even a man!) presented in the FFC.

IMC it is some sort of Cthulhu-esque entity linked to the Outer Beings.

I don't think the "flying Eggs" of the Beagle Crew have anything to do with the Egg of Coot. The Egg of Coot could be technological in nature, but it seems too sinister to be "just" that.

Basically, it is the ultimate villain of the Blackmoor Campaign. One that none of Arneson's players ever really went up against directly.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:50 am

What is the Egg of Coot? Why its nothing more and nothing less that the Unique mega villian of Blackmoor, it could be many things but IMHO it doesn`t have to be because I would never allow players to face the Egg directly, that is what makes the EGG a truly epic villian. Enigmatic, industructable, evil/has it`s own agenda, in my opinion DA made this the ultimate bad guy. It`s agents might lose, it might be forced out of action for a while but "stick around" cause "I`ll be back."
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Dave L
Storm Giant

Post by Dave L » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 am

The Egg of Coot is the DM's ultimate "Keep the players humble" device.

No matter how powerful or famous you become, if you try to take on the Egg directly you're in for a world of hurt.

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:27 pm

If the Egg of Coot is Technological, yet immortal, yet 'evil' we have -
OPTION A: A technological immortal (OARD) - the egg being his projection field having not quite made it all the way into this Universe from his own.

OPTION B: An Artefact powered Clockwork Beholder/combined with a part of an immortal (the artefact powering it) and part Teldon (the old Wizard who was replaced by Terrari as King Stephan Karameikos's Magist) who vanished fighting with it into a gate/explosion (See Poor Wizards Almanac).

OPTION C: A Carnifex travelling back through time from the PostCataclysm Blackmoor and somehow confined to the Egg shaped time transit pod to save the world from the Blackmoor civilization which will destroy the world (and his own civilization).

OPTION D: Some BOT/A.I. sent by the Federation from the future to prevent the cataclysm and tie off this redundant reality by preventing the rise of Blackmoor.

OPTION E: PCs decide not to allow the city of the Gods to fall into the Blackmoorean hands. Instead they summon every wizard to establish a wizard city state and rebuild the ship so it can leave - while developing their own Alphatian Civilization and departing for a new 'homeworld' amongst the Stars. Of course they must change the Past and get rid of that annoying problem with the cataclysm so Captain Riesling sends an AI into the Past to oppose Blackmoor.

OPTION F: A Fiend fused with technlogy from the height of Blackmoor - escaping into change reality.

OPTION G: KA the Preserver's hatchbrother... ;)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm

Option H: In the Chthonic Age, a mighty priest of the Outer Beings known as Coot'hulu, an enormous, indescribable horror festooned with tentacles like a kopru and wings like a dragon, laid a single egg in a nest and warded it with the strange technology of its kind and spells of preservation so that it could incubate while mighty Coot'hulu concentrated on ruling its domain. Before Coot'hulu could return to its young, it was imprisoned in an otherworldly place, or perhaps beneath the sea as the world itself was reshaped to contain the terrible presence of the beast. And so the Egg of Coot'hulu remained, timeless and alone, its powerful mental abilities slowly reaching out of its prison to influence the world beyond, learning from the short-lived races that came to occupy the land in later eras. Ultimately, the Egg of Coot'hulu rose from beneath the sea, and commanded its minions to build a fortress for it, from which it could conquer the kingdoms of elves and men.

Option I: The Egg of Coot is a husk created from all the petty hatreds and lust left behind by an ancient Immortal who ascended to the status of Old One in the vicinity of Blackmoor eons ago. The magic of this event saturated the rocks of the land, creating a wild magic that remains to this day, but all that was corrupt and impure in the Immortal was left behind as a shell, a blot in the fabric of the world that eventually became known as the Egg of Coot. The Egg is filled with a terrible envy and hatred for the Old One, knowing it was abandoned and left behind by its own better self. Possibly this Immortal was Temrin, the former Hierarch of Time who was slain by Thanatos; his death may have catalyzed his ascension to the status of Old One.

Option J: Long ago, in a previous Age, a terrible war was fought between the forces of Law and Chaos. During that age, creatures from the Sphere of Entropy known as the sibriex (Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, page 52-54) augmented the fiendish armies with grafts, shaping and molding the demons of Entropy to make them perfect soldiers. The sibriexes were said to resemble malformed faces the size of wagons, with atrophied arms and hands, tethered to the ground by rattling chains. As minions of Law closed in on a particular fortress, however, one sibriex made its escape, hiding beneath the sea on the prehistoric world of Mystara in a realm of unusually potent magic. There it remained for millennia, growing in knowledge and power, feeding on magic and on the essence of hate and war that it stirred up. The sibriex created or gathered from across the planes items of technology and fiendish minions such as balors who still remembered their ancient creators, and it augmented its mortal armies with grafts and modifications of its own devising just as it had once augmented the armies of Chaos in the previous Age. While the rest of its kind grew almost entirely extinct, this lone sibriex, who became known as the Egg of Coot, remained alive, far more powerful than any of its kind had ever been.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:33 pm

FWIW, I think the Egg works best as a vague, malevolent force, whose full agenda is largely unknown (and unknowable) to the players.

Having said that, a number of the options above would be very workable.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Brilliant options Rip!

My vision is perhaps closest to this one:
ripvanwormer wrote:Option H: In the Chthonic Age, a mighty priest of the Outer Beings known as Coot'hulu, an enormous, indescribable horror festooned with tentacles like a kopru and wings like a dragon, laid a single egg in a nest and warded it with the strange technology of its kind and spells of preservation so that it could incubate while mighty Coot'hulu concentrated on ruling its domain. Before Coot'hulu could return to its young, it was imprisoned in an otherworldly place, or perhaps beneath the sea as the world itself was reshaped to contain the terrible presence of the beast. And so the Egg of Coot'hulu remained, timeless and alone, its powerful mental abilities slowly reaching out of its prison to influence the world beyond, learning from the short-lived races that came to occupy the land in later eras. Ultimately, the Egg of Coot'hulu rose from beneath the sea, and commanded its minions to build a fortress for it, from which it could conquer the kingdoms of elves and men.
-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:FWIW, I think the Egg works best as a vague, malevolent force, whose full agenda is largely unknown (and unknowable) to the players.
Exactly. Once you define its nature, you take away from its mystery.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Could always be the combined souls of everyone who died in the Cataclysm. The energies involved warped them into a single, powerful entity who has the power to go back in time and attempt to prevent the Cataclysm in the first place. Or perhaps, because it is comprised of so many tortured souls, it has many personalities and goals, attempting to both twart and trigger the Cataclysm. What might appear to be mevolance to the PCs is in truth the Egg trying to prevent the disaster. <shrug>

Just a stray thought.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:FWIW, I think the Egg works best as a vague, malevolent force, whose full agenda is largely unknown (and unknowable) to the players.

But not the DM. The Dungeon Master needs to Know. Otherwise you got this unknown entity whose motives are unknown even to the DM and thus the Egg of Coot becomes unworkable simply because its agenda has no specific direction. I might as Well stamp Alias KA THE PRESERVER on the Egg of Coot.

That Reminds Me:

Code: Select all

AGE OF CARNAGE (3,000,000BC)

3,000,000BC: The intelligent Dinosaur who would one day become Ka the Preserver emerges from an Egg this Day. 

2,999,000BC: Ka Seeks to learn the Ways of every Dinosaur Species on the Path to the Paragon. 

2,345,341BC: A Great Meteor the size of a large Island smashes into the World. Though it pushes thousands of Species to extinction, it reveals the existance of the Hollow World to Ka the Preserver.

2,311,345BC: After Considerable contemplation, Ka the Preserver cuts a deal with other Immortals to establish a haven for the Preservation of species and civilizations facing extinction on the Outer World.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm

yellowdingo wrote:But not the DM. The Dungeon Master needs to Know. Otherwise you got this unknown entity whose motives are unknown even to the DM and thus the Egg of Coot becomes unworkable simply because its agenda has no specific direction. I might as Well stamp Alias KA THE PRESERVER on the Egg of Coot.
I see where you're coming from - the DM, as "god", should be omniscient. However, the nature of the Egg is, IMO, a question of gaming and campaign philosophy.

IMO, a "character"/force like the Egg, which has so much potential to alter the campaign world and tone of the setting, is a key DM tool. While there are benefits in explicitly spelling out what that tool might be, and how it works, there are equally compelling reasons to lay down some general parameters concerning the tool (as we're doing now), but leave it to the DM to determine which of those parameters will work best for his or her campaign. This can give the DM a sense of personal ownership of the setting that they might not feel if everything is laid out as a fait accompli, if that is indeed what their preferences and/or gaming philosophy might be.

In a "dead" setting like Mystara (which is not truly dead IMO as long as even one person thinks about it), we need - in my view - a number of flexible parameters around key, campaign-altering elements (like the Egg) to ensure that more people are drawn to it in the time to come.

My $0.02.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Falconer
Hill Giant

Post by Falconer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I just want to say that the idea of reading it as the “Egg of Cthulhu” is brilliant. Thanks! Coot as an alternate spelling of Cthulhu is right-on with the way HPL, CAS, REH, etc., had different cultures in different epochs all spelling and pronouncing it differently.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

hyrieus
Bugbear

Post by hyrieus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:37 am

At this stage it's probably best that we keep on joyfully speculating about what the EGG is without ever settling on a definitive answer. Surely as we try to define the EGG we both increase it's mystique and generate campaign ideas for other (lesser) ultimate villains. I mean surely by now the EGG has at least a legitimate claim to being the Ur Big Bad of FRPG.

Personally i'm convinced it's a dimensional voyager, composed of both technological and demonic elements, that sought to escape what it perceived as the ultimate closed system entropy of Tekumel by hatching itself into another continuum. Undoubtedly through it's hacking of both native the native Blackmoorian retro-engineered and Federation A.I.s it was the cause of the Great Rain of Fire, the energy of which it required to sequester itself into a multi-phasic pan-dimensional pocket from which it contests its ultimate existence with the Outer Beings and Old Ones. In this struggle it deploys its' progeny and footsoldiers the Oard.

Its ultimate aims remain unknown.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:09 am

My reason for making the core nature of the Egg non-technological is as follows:

We already have technology linked to the Temple of the Frog and the City of the Gods. Turning the third most famous adventuring locale of Blackmoor into a sci fi element means we risk turning Blackmoor into a one trick pony where every dark and hidden threat is some tech thing. Blackmoor was always about so much more than that. Arneson himself stated that the sci fi connection was much less of a factor in his own games, but became the focus of the published adventures because it was so different from other settings.

YMMV

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

hyrieus
Bugbear

Post by hyrieus » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 pm

I have to agree my preference is for an Egg more routed in cosmic horror than technology. From the descriptions we have it possesses great power coupled with a childish megalomania, in many ways it makes me think of a pulp villainous mastermind. The Egg certainly is a jealous being, Ran of Ah Foo feels the need to leave its domain after rivalling its skills at spell creation.
I'd favour giving it some sort of unique genesis, the kind of origin that terms Elder Spawn could be attached to, certainly it should be Not Of This World.

How about giving it some sort of reverse Krypton origin, the sole remnant of a sorcerous evil whose machinations destroyed its home planet (or cosm). It was propelled by That From Which It Was Hatched across the multiverse until it crashed on Mystara. Its natural magical abilities so far outstripped those of the natives that it became regarded as a superbeing. Possibly it landed in the sea and was raised by Kopru foster parents, until it reached puberty and turned then into vampires. You see the Egg of present Blackmoor is terribly young, but over time it will learn to master its inheritance.

Lo and as I type these words The Voyage of the Space Beagle drops through my letter box....could it be a warning from "one of the deadliest menaces in all creation".

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 am

Perhaps the most terrifying thought of all:

What happens when the Egg hatches? :D

(Assuming it's some kind of actual being in gestation, that is, and not just "Egg" as a name/title. One of rip's theories is the closest I've ever seen to speculation along those lines.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

darjr
Kobold

Post by darjr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 am

I always thought of the egg as more than a single thing. That it got it's name from the Wardens shape because it originally was that ship crashed into Blackmoor. Since then it's been different things that for short times control the central powers of the place in a schizophrenic crazy way.

Birchbeer
Shade

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 pm

What if the Egg is an elder brain of the Illithids? I know Mystara doesn't have Illithids in the scenario, but it could.

Sometime in the future the egg teleported itself back into time to when it knew it could control things. It knew it needed to be by Blackmoor because of the comeback inn. It needs that inn and Blackmoor to survive so that time travelling magic can be discovered. It may have even been created towards the end of Blackmoor right before the Rain of Fire.

The Illithids are its thralls. The difference between coot's minions and others is that the Illithids is that the Coot's Illithids don't change shape, they still look/act like their base race but use the Illithid's abilities. (Not sure if it can devour brains, of it the tentacles kind of appear when needed..)

The Egg of Coot then exists so that it can have it's empire, knowing what's going to happen and then influence the play of events. It could even be manipulating events in Blackmoor, letting the empire think it runs itself and everything while it sits back and controls its nobles like puppets on a string. Which works great till... BOOM.

As for the Egg post Rain of Fire who knows where it is. Or if it even exists. However, because it can grasp how to travel time, this means it could have thralls pop up at any time frame fulfilling what it needs (including temporal/physical repositioning to survive).

Aldarron
Goblin

Post by Aldarron » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 am

My take on the Egg is discussed here http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/view ... 49&start=0

In Summary:

The Egg is a Dark Lord (FFC) created by the the forces of Id as part of a deal with the Treacherous Baron Regscot. The Baron was merged with a portion of the ancient power of the Id to create the Egg folowing the destruction of the Id's temple.

Return to “Blackmoor”