Kargas Dolunt and Khoronus

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Kargas Dolunt and Khoronus

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 am

Wrath of the Immortals:
In life, Khoronus was one of the early founders of the city of Blackmoor and a counselor to the city's first rulers. Concerned because his countrymen rarely considered the consequences of their acts, he invented a time machine to see how his descendants and their city would fare. He traveled forward in time only to witness Blackmoor's complete destruction. Realizing he would never be able to change his countryman's attitude enough to prevent the disaster, he decided to take steps that would preserve his family and culture without altering the future.
The Wizards' Cabal:
Perhaps the wisest of these mages [who traveled from Thonia shortly after the founding of the empire to assist in the colonization efforts, subjugate the native wokan, and found the port city of Blackmoor] was Kargas Dolunt, distantly related to the Thonian Imperial Family. Kargas was a peaceful man, who engaged in the war against the native sorcerers only as a means of acquiring money and land for his researches, and who preferred to fight with nonlethal spells wherever possible. He came because he was interested in the land itself. He spent all his free time between engagements in contemplation, and when other wizards were only starting their studies into the nature of the land Kargas was many months ahead of them.
Kargas delightedly shared his breakthrough with his colleagues of the time, other wizards who shared his fascination with the nature of the North. Alas, wise as he was, Kargas did not foresee the results of his revelations.
The result of the revelations was a surplus of mages, who "claimed every last foot of territory" in the North, initially quarreling with one another economically as they set up protection rackets throughout the land. This ultimately led to the Mage Wars.
Finally, that retribution turned violent. Mages engaged in spell-duels, tossing globes of fire and bolts of lightning while swooping through the air over populated areas. Further, these duels were so quick and vicious, when the militia finally arrived to put an end to the carnage, they found nothing but burned-out husks of villages, with no signs of those who had destroyed them.
The Wizards' Cabal continues the story of Kargas:
Kargas Dolunt was horrified at the results of his efforts. He was a man of learning a man of study and — when possible — a man of peace. He was shattered in body and soul when the greatest discovery of his life led to nothing but violence misery and war. Witnesses claim that in the days following Surrinya’s retaliation against Raddan Kargas simply put down his books one day walked out of his home and was never seen again. Legend says however that Kargas never found rest. Wracked by guilt over what he had caused Kargas wanders the North still as a ghost mourning for the lives lost. Supposedly he appears now and again always to aid common folk menaced by a sorcerer wizard or other spellcaster as though he still seeks to make up for the suffering of the Mage Wars.
Okay, so what if Kargas didn't become a ghost, but instead became a time-traveler who would appear sporadically centuries in the future, trying to steer history in a more positive direction? That is, what if he became Khoronus? Dave Arneson's Blackmoor says Khoronus became a god two hundred years ago. That's pretty much exactly the start of the Mage Wars (815-900). If Kargas was around at the founding of Blackmoor (circa the year 1 in the Thonian calendar), but he's horrified at the results of his efforts (the Mage Wars, approximately 800 years later) how could he not be a time traveler, or at least suspiciously long-lived? If a mage everyone thinks is long-dead is seen turning up again throughout history centuries later, most would assume he was some kind of ghost — but that might not necessarily be the case. Kargas's motivations — to change his countryman's attitude, to prevent future disaster — seem the same as Khoronus's. Someone who left his time and place to travel to other times and worlds would be seen as mysteriously vanishing, as Kargas was.

The disaster Khoronus witnessed might have been the Great Rain of Fire, but as I've argued before the Great Rain of Fire seemed to be a freak accident with little to do with his countryman's "attitude," unless he was trying to suppress their natural curiosity. Instead, the disaster he witnessed might have been the Mage Wars, which did completely devastate many communites, perhaps including Blackmoor City. Or perhaps both.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Kargas Dolunt and Khoronus

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Whoah!
This is my kind of topic! I must admit this is not a connection I had made before, but defiantely possible. The similarities in the name almost suggest that this could be something the designers had considered... The main "problem" is Blackmoor's description of Khoronus as a General connected somehow to the Duchy of Ten.

Unless perhaps he travelled back in time, and became the General?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Havard wrote: The main "problem" is Blackmoor's description of Khoronus as a General connected somehow to the Duchy of Ten.
As far as I can tell, he's only connected to it in that they worship him there, and he therefore feels some loyalty toward his worshipers. The Duchy of Ten was founded in 925, and Khoronus probably ascended circa 830, so the Duchy wasn't even around when he became a god.

As for the "General" bit, in my theory above he's the veteran of two wars: as Kargas, he fought in the war of the Thonians against the native Blackmoor wokan. And then he probably played some role in the Mage Wars beginning in 815, around the time he was deified. Despite being a man of peace, he may well have led troops in both wars.

The idea that Kargas Dolunt was a man who spent most of his time in contemplation, always several steps away from his rivals, fits the "strategy and tactics" portfolio that ZGG gives the deity Khoronus.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 am

Having given this some thought, I like your suggestions even more! :)

I agree that the connection to the Duchy of Ten probably has more to do with the people of Ten than Khoronus himself. As I see it, the Tenians follow the general Thonian/Blackmoorian pantheon, which Khoronus is part of, but their current situation has probably lead them to seek aid from Khoronus in particular.

In a project I have been working on, I instead had Kargas be the same as Passaic who ruled Blackmoor in 600, but I am not neccessarily married to that idea.

Interestingly, we have Merrick Fenn (co-Founder of the Ordo Elementarum), Raddan Goss (War Monger), and Skelfer Ard (Spell Focus), all basing their work off the research done by Kargas, so determining his identity would have a huge impact... :cool:

One question would be: Did he start out at the time of Thonia's founding, or did he start out much later and then travel back in time?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Havard wrote:One question would be: Did he start out at the time of Thonia's founding, or did he start out much later and then travel back in time?
Or possibly even much earlier. He could have originated millennia before, during the Wilderlands' setting's war between the Philosophers and the Pious.

But my guess is that if he was known to be related to the Thonian imperial family at the time of Blackmoor's founding, he was from their time and used what he learned about Blackmoor's earthmagic to construct his time machine. Perhaps there were already natural regions of distorted time in Blackmoor when he came there, things like faerie mounds where days spent inside translate to years outside, and he learned to harness the same principles in constructing the Comeback Inn.

It's interesting that in both wars mentioned above, magic-users are most likely to be the generals, not fighters.

Return to “Blackmoor”