Warriors of the Eternal Sun

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

BlU_sKrEEm
Gnoll

Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Post by BlU_sKrEEm » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:10 am

I've recently picked up the Sega Genesis game Warriors of the Eternal Sun off Ebay. When i first played the game years ago, I had never heard of Hollow World, so playing it through this time is a much more enjoyable experience. I was wondering if the events in this game ever shows up in any HW supplements. I know it's pretty basic, but I'd love to run the story for my group.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Post by agathokles » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:13 am

AFAIR, the HW supplements don't cover the events of WotES. However, most of the areas of the game are described (IIRC, Malpheggi Lizardmen, Azcans, Oltecs, Schattenalfen, and Beastmen appear in the game) in the HW book, and the game itself is quite faithful to the HW feel and general structure. I think it would be easy to run WotES as a P&P campaign, with some adaptations (probably the distances among the various areas will need to be changed to adapt to the HW map).

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Ah, another favorite topic of mine!

I tied Duke Barrick's origins in the Outer World to a time in Thunder Rift's history, whereas the Duke Barrick & friends probably show up in the Hollow World sometime after AC1000.

Here is a map of Barrick's valley (scroll down).

This is the latest version of my Hollow World map, marking off Barrick's valley between Schattenaflen and Balarai (Neathar) lands.

Hope these are of use! :)

Havard.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlU_sKrEEm
Gnoll

Post by BlU_sKrEEm » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 am

Much thanks, Harvard. i'm going to have to start crediting you at my games at this rate. I'm not to knowledgeable with Thunder Rifts, perhaps this will give me an excuse to spend some time on Ebay.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:50 pm

BlU_sKrEEm wrote:Much thanks, Harvard. i'm going to have to start crediting you at my games at this rate. I'm not to knowledgeable with Thunder Rifts, perhaps this will give me an excuse to spend some time on Ebay.
Thanks! I am happy you find some use for that stuff. Happy hunting on Ebay! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Speaking of this game, has anybody here finished it? I was very close a few years ago but got stuck and unable to figure out what to do next. I can't recall what exactly I was stuck on now though.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 am

I finished it, and took some notes, but it has been awhile.

As I recall it can be difficult to find the cave entrances in the outdoor overhead maps. And the caves themselves you have to map out on graph paper to be sure you have everything covered. It really helps to have a thief out front in the Nithian pyramids, or traps will slowly kill you.

The OP is the second person I know of that played this game without knowing what the Hollow World was about beforehand. All I can say is the game doesn't make the least bit of sense without knowing what the Hollow World is already, because it doesn't tell you. The only clue is one sentence in the intro text of the game.

The first person I knew that payed this game could only come up with the idea that Duke Barrick and his people had been taken aboard an alien spaceship.

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:42 am

I've finished it multiple times, the second time I maxed out everything I could before heading for the end. One of the things that I recall is one set of caves that allowed the party to get atop a plateau, but I don't know if there was anything you could find up there or not.
Did find it humorous that you could web a red dragon in the cave and then kill it before the spell failed (That's how I cheated on the second run through :geek: )
So anyone going to post their maps (other then Havard)/notes because I'm getting all nostalgic about this game. :oops:

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:03 pm

The way the game worked, monsters couldn't detect you until you could detect them, but monsters always had a fixed location in the caves. By mapping out the caves I knew where all the fixed locations were. My SOP when dealing with any monster in the caves was to position my party so they were in a cave section with an unblocked passage to whatever they would be fighting, but far enough away that the monster wasn't visible on screen, so neither the monster nor the party could detect each other.

Then I would just have all four party members unload with magic and missile fire in the direction of the monster, a steady stream as fast as my controller could spit out. Even though I couldn't see the monster, those shots actually continued until they hit something, like the monster or a wall. The AI wasn't smart enough to have the monster move out of the way, although it at least was smart enough to have the monster pursue in the direction of the incoming fire in order to engage the party. Still, by the time it could react and get to me, a healthy chunk of hit points were already gone.

There used to be a website with screen captures of overhead maps but I can't find it now, but I did find this on youtube.
Someone who didn't like the endgame, and also probably didn't know about the Hollow World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAziYnxEH4

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Hey NPCDave, I used to use the same tactic! Fire into the darkness when you know something's there.

I had mapped all the caves on graph paper. Wonder if I still have those somewhere?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:17 pm

NPCDave wrote:
There used to be a website with screen captures of overhead maps but I can't find it now,
This one? :)

but I did find this on youtube.
Someone who didn't like the endgame, and also probably didn't know about the Hollow World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAziYnxEH4
Ah, that video is a classic. The comments are really sarcastic, but I found them rather amusing. The guy who wrote them admits in the end that he actually liked the game.

I downloaded the video and made a few screen captures from it. I can post them later if anyone is interested. It might be of interest to have these things collected on the Vaults.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 pm

That is the one, thanks for finding it, I was afraid it was gone.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:06 pm

NPCDave wrote:That is the one, thanks for finding it, I was afraid it was gone.
The site I referred to has links to another site, which is now gone. That one seems to have had even more stuff on it, such as maps for the various dungeons and so on. Ive been trying to pull some of them off from the Internet Archive, but that is tedious work, and it doesnt seem like the Internet Archive has all of it either. Still, I recommend checking it out.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Are there any new monsters, characters or magic items in the game?

If so, maybe somone can convert them to other versions of D&D and put the new stats up on Vaults of Pandius.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Big Mac wrote:Are there any new monsters, characters or magic items in the game?

If so, maybe somone can convert them to other versions of D&D and put the new stats up on Vaults of Pandius.
That's a great idea David! Maybe someone who actually owns the game could help us out? From what I have been able to gather, I haven't been able to find any new monsters, although the various human groups could be statted. For characters, the first one that comes to mind is Duke Barrik himself. Not sure what level he should be?

One thing that bothered me at first was the presence of the Well of Souls in the Lizardman Swamps. In the game, it is a place where you restore your charaters' health, but the Well of Souls is also a legendary artifact from the Age of Blackmoor. Ofcourse, in Blackmoor it is an evil artifact, used by the Afridhi in an attempt to destroy Blackmoor. How it ended up being a health bumper in the Hollow World is beyond my guess.

Edit: Its the Tree of Life that restores life. The Well of Souls brings back the dead.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are there any new monsters, characters or magic items in the game?

That's a great idea David! Maybe someone who actually owns the game could help us out? From what I have been able to gather, I haven't been able to find any new monsters, although the various human groups could be statted. For characters, the first one that comes to mind is Duke Barrik himself. Not sure what level he should be?
You can open up a lot of these games in a text editor and search for text. So it might be possible to get a dump of information relating to Duke Barrik.
Havard wrote:One thing that bothered me at first was the presence of the Well of Souls in the Lizardman Swamps. In the game, it is a place where you restore your charaters' health, but the Well of Souls is also a legendary artifact from the Age of Blackmoor. Ofcourse, in Blackmoor it is an evil artifact, used by the Afridhi in an attempt to destroy Blackmoor. How it ended up being a health bumper in the Hollow World is beyond my guess.

Edit: Its the Tree of Life that restores life. The Well of Souls brings back the dead.
Even if the Well of Souls only brings back the dead, you could still possibly explain away the existance of this and the Blackmoor version.

You can either have two different items that are both called the Well of Souls...

...or...

...make this one item that has both types of powers.

The second choice, would be a great way for you to hide a dangerous item deep into the middle of a lizardman culture and make it look like a benevolent item. This allow a "nasty" Well of Souls to gain protection by the lizardmen, while it built up its power and slowly corrupted the lizardman culture. :twisted:

You could actually make the Well of Souls an intellegent item that has a long term plan to create a lizardman army, find its way back to Blackmoor and complete its original evil mission.

(Or for fun, you could make lizardmen have a brain that is not affected by the Well of Souls and have the item tweak any humans that are brought back from the dead! :twisted: )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:

You can open up a lot of these games in a text editor and search for text. So it might be possible to get a dump of information relating to Duke Barrik.
I didn't find Barrik, but I found an old website I had saved which had stats for the various monsters that appear in the game. I started a separate thread for them. I don't think stats for Barrik are available since there is no option of fighting him. Looking closer into this, there are a few other named NPCs which I can post later.
Havard wrote:One thing that bothered me at first was the presence of the Well of Souls in the Lizardman Swamps. In the game, it is a place where you restore your charaters' health, but the Well of Souls is also a legendary artifact from the Age of Blackmoor. Ofcourse, in Blackmoor it is an evil artifact, used by the Afridhi in an attempt to destroy Blackmoor. How it ended up being a health bumper in the Hollow World is beyond my guess.

Even if the Well of Souls only brings back the dead, you could still possibly explain away the existance of this and the Blackmoor version.

You can either have two different items that are both called the Well of Souls...

...or...

...make this one item that has both types of powers.

The second choice, would be a great way for you to hide a dangerous item deep into the middle of a lizardman culture and make it look like a benevolent item. This allow a "nasty" Well of Souls to gain protection by the lizardmen, while it built up its power and slowly corrupted the lizardman culture. :twisted:

You could actually make the Well of Souls an intellegent item that has a long term plan to create a lizardman army, find its way back to Blackmoor and complete its original evil mission.

(Or for fun, you could make lizardmen have a brain that is not affected by the Well of Souls and have the item tweak any humans that are brought back from the dead! :twisted: )
Many interesting ideas here. For the Tree of Life, I think the Elven Trees of Life are too iconic in Mystara to have the Lizardmen have something like that. I would rather turn it into a Pool of Life, or something like that.

In the case of the Well of Souls, I am interested in exploring the possible connection with Blackmoor. While it has been speculated that the Blackmoorian Well of Souls is an Artifact of Entropy, it could be possible that it was originally a vessel of good, but one which was corrupted. Blackmoor also has lizardmen and similar creatures. Perhaps each lizardman clan has a Well of Souls, but the original and most powerful one was corrupted when the Blackmoor lizardmen fell under the influence of the Frog. Lizardmen elsewhere still have their Wells intact, but since the original well was corrupted, the lesser Wells are also somehow tainted...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

sbwilson
Orc

Post by sbwilson » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:03 am

Havard wrote:In the case of the Well of Souls, I am interested in exploring the possible connection with Blackmoor. While it has been speculated that the Blackmoorian Well of Souls is an Artifact of Entropy, it could be possible that it was originally a vessel of good, but one which was corrupted. Blackmoor also has lizardmen and similar creatures. Perhaps each lizardman clan has a Well of Souls, but the original and most powerful one was corrupted when the Blackmoor lizardmen fell under the influence of the Frog. Lizardmen elsewhere still have their Wells intact, but since the original well was corrupted, the lesser Wells are also somehow tainted...
I don't know if it is related, but this discussion reminded me of a description of an artifact in GAZ2: The Lizardskin Bed. It could be used to cure and raise the dead but it had a few handicaps/penalties: It's use slowly turned one into a lizardman and future hit point loss can trigger a trance that causes loss of human speech, spell-casting, and combat abilities for up to an hour. Perhaps the Well of Souls was the original and this was just an attempt to recreate it. Lots of undead lizardmen in Ylaruam to make a Known World connection with the Well...

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Yes, thread necromancy. Figured it was better to keep all the discussion together in one place.

Just learned of this game but have not played it. According to http://mud.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeons_%26_ ... n_settings, the characters are transported to the Hollow World by a Burrower. That intrigues me, as I think of Burrowers as monsters bent on destruction, but also pure plot devices the characters will never encounter. This makes it sounds like a Burrower is intelligent and engaging in plots, and interacting with characters directly. Does anyone have more insight on why a Burrower would do this?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:30 pm

Well, actually the influence of the Burrower slowly sends everybody in the keep towards madness during the game. It is possible that the Burrower accidentally brings the PCs and the keep into the Hollow World, as they do not really interact that much.

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 pm

There are a couple of different types of Burrowers in canon. The group chiefly associated with that term, as introduced in the HW boxed set, are near-Immortal level powers that have a definite malign intent and powers of corruption and destruction. These are the Burrowers that posed such a great hazard to the world and for whom the Spell of Preservation was intended as a punishment and imprisoning spell.

However, in the HWA series of modules (Nightwail, Nightrage, and Nightstorm), the Great Annelids are introduced. They are known as "burrowers" and seem to be conflated with the Burrowers mentioned in the HW boxed set, even though they seem to be little more than mindless giant worms. HWA2 kind of clarifies their situation to somewhat distinguish between the "rudimentary" intelligence of the Great Annelids and the "brilliant but alien intelligence" of other burrowers.

In any event, I'd posit that the burrower that transports the PCs in WotES is probably one of the non-intelligent Great Annelids and not one of the world shattering "other" burrowers.

ETA: Those "others" are indeed intelligent and still engaging in plots (actively or passively depends on your interpretation). At least one has an agent active in the Outer World (Wastoure, acting on behalf of the burrower sometimes called the "cipactli" that is entombed beneath Azcan territory. Two are entombed in Nithia within the towers of Soth and Sekhaba (or perhaps the towers are part of their physical bodies) and they seem to very definitively be influencing the cultists who labor on their behalf.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 am

More than likely it was the Immortal Ka that transported the castle to the Hollow World in order to preserve that small group of his followers from being totally wipe out by the Goblin War. Ka makes more sense since he's referenced alot in the game. Also, the Offical Manual/Hintbook for the game lists the only Cleric in town as a follower of Ka.
On the topic of NPC stats...make a few groups comprising the various NPC's and run them in the game. Take notes on what stats you give them and then fill out the full details when each group finishes the game. That's what I did for all the various "named" NPC's found in the Offical Manual/Hintbook.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:04 am

Gravesguardian wrote:More than likely it was the Immortal Ka that transported the castle to the Hollow World in order to preserve that small group of his followers from being totally wipe out by the Goblin War. Ka makes more sense since he's referenced alot in the game. Also, the Offical Manual/Hintbook for the game lists the only Cleric in town as a follower of Ka.
On the topic of NPC stats...make a few groups comprising the various NPC's and run them in the game. Take notes on what stats you give them and then fill out the full details when each group finishes the game. That's what I did for all the various "named" NPC's found in the Offical Manual/Hintbook.
This was my thought as well. I assumed Ka would also be hoping that the PCs would help defeat the Burrower.

My impression is that the Burrowers are extremely powerful, but they have all been put into a magical stasis/sleep. They can still influence the world through magic of dreams, cause madness etc. But in a fully awakened state a Burrower would be a very powerful opponent indeed.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:However, in the HWA series of modules (Nightwail, Nightrage, and Nightstorm), the Great Annelids are introduced. They are known as "burrowers" and seem to be conflated with the Burrowers mentioned in the HW boxed set, even though they seem to be little more than mindless giant worms. HWA2 kind of clarifies their situation to somewhat distinguish between the "rudimentary" intelligence of the Great Annelids and the "brilliant but alien intelligence" of other burrowers.
I vaguely remember reading (in one of the HWA modules?) that the Great Annelids' intelligence was either hampered by the Spell of Preservation, or "turned off" so as not to trip warnings to other Immortals that the worm-y guys were doing their thing....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 am

Something I did to waste time. Hope this helps someone.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ie7ot ... CNkYc8gGXU

:D

Return to “Hollow World”