Hollow World Fan Reference Guides

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Hollow World Fan Reference Guides

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Has anyone taken a closer look at the HW fan gazetteers?

HWR4: The Kogolor Dwarf-Lands
http://www.pandius.com/kogolor.html

HWR5: The Malpheggi Lizard Men
http://www.pandius.com/malphegi.html

HWR6: The Krugel Horde
http://www.pandius.com/krugel.html

HWR7: The Jennite Horsemen
http://www.pandius.com/jennite.html

HWR8: The Tanagoro Plainsmen
http://www.pandius.com/tanagoro.html

HWR9: The Hutaakan Valley
http://www.pandius.com/hutaakav.html

The Selhomarr Gazetteer
http://www.pandius.com/sel_gaz.html

Fan Maps
Maps of Iciria 40 miles per hex by Thorf: http://www.pandius.com/m_iciria.html
Non-hex maps of the Hollow World by Thorf: http://www.pandius.com/m_hwldnh.html
Maps of the Hollow World by Havard: http://www.pandius.com/hwplntmp.html
Maps of the Hollow World by Havard: http://www.pandius.com/hllw_map.html

Other Fan Material
http://www.pandius.com/hllwwrld.html

Official Product List
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2993

Havard

Edit: Hutaakan Valley added.
Edit: Fan maps and other fan material added
Last edited by Havard on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Hollow World Fan Reference Guides

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I remember reading through them all when they first came out, maybe I should visit them again.

Your post got me thinking Havard: given Old Dawg's tremendous (at least, IMO) success in his Gaz F line, would there be any interest in doing something similar for an HWR F line? We would follow the same model (document templates, mimic the fonts, etc.) to create products with a very similar look and feel to the originals, with interior art, etc. The one change I would make is reduce the font size, as IIRC the HWR series featured larger type that resulted in skimpier products.

Of course, such an undertaking would require a fair bit of time. Just look at what happened to Kaarjala - I planned to have it done in January, but with real life and other issues I've only finished the manuscript now. :oops:

Just my $0.02,

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:42 pm

You're missing one:

HWR9: The Hutaaka Valley.

I only mention it because I had a hand in that one. :)

Actually, I'd started working on assembling these into downloadable form some time ago (another stalled project).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Ah, yes! I remember when you posted the maps! Good one!

Geoff

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Your post got me thinking Havard: given Old Dawg's tremendous (at least, IMO) success in his Gaz F line, would there be any interest in doing something similar for an HWR F line? We would follow the same model (document templates, mimic the fonts, etc.) to create products with a very similar look and feel to the originals, with interior art, etc. The one change I would make is reduce the font size, as IIRC the HWR series featured larger type that resulted in skimpier products.
Personally, I would love to see something like that. I would guess that the majority of Mystara fans would be more interested in further supplements for the Outer World, but OTOH, I find that projects are more likely to be completed if the writer truly cares about the subject dealt with, so if this is something you would be interested in doing, then go for it! I was toying a little for myself, trying to find suitable mock up art for covers of these Fan HWR books.

Note: I edited my OP to include HWR9 which Andrew mentioned. I should have remembered that one, I am even on the credit list for it, lol.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't believe I've ever looked at these before. Need... more... time... :cry:

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Havard wrote:Personally, I would love to see something like that. I would guess that the majority of Mystara fans would be more interested in further supplements for the Outer World, but OTOH, I find that projects are more likely to be completed if the writer truly cares about the subject dealt with, so if this is something you would be interested in doing, then go for it! I was toying a little for myself, trying to find suitable mock up art for covers of these Fan HWR books.
I'd love to see what you've managed to put together.

FWIW, the most logical choice for me, were I to draft an HWR F product, would be Selhomarr. It may not have been written by TSR, but just about all the necessary material is there. I would just scan existing HWRs to see if there were any sections I missed, and of course I'd re-edit the piece.

Geoff

My Blog is here!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:35 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote: FWIW, the most logical choice for me, were I to draft an HWR F product, would be Selhomarr. It may not have been written by TSR, but just about all the necessary material is there. I would just scan existing HWRs to see if there were any sections I missed, and of course I'd re-edit the piece.
Ah, ofcourse!
Yeah, it would be nice to see Selhomarr (I always have trouble spelling that one) turned into the HWR format. :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:35 am

Havard, I for one have always been a fan of the Hollow World. Although it's early days yet, to be perfectly honest I find this sub-forum to be consistently more in line with my interests than the main Mystara one. ;)

So I would absolutely love to see new HWRs, and indeed to help make them. Specifically, I am very eager to have a go at 8 mile per hex Hollow World maps, expanding the available three poster maps to eventually cover the whole of Iciria at that scale.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Thorf wrote:Havard, I for one have always been a fan of the Hollow World. Although it's early days yet, to be perfectly honest I find this sub-forum to be consistently more in line with my interests than the main Mystara one. ;)
That is nice to know. I also like the Hollow World. And there is no denying that the HW boxed set is one of the best written Mystara supplements out there. This is Allston at his best!
So I would absolutely love to see new HWRs, and indeed to help make them. Specifically, I am very eager to have a go at 8 mile per hex Hollow World maps, expanding the available three poster maps to eventually cover the whole of Iciria at that scale.
That would be sweet. I would be interested in both 8mp/hex maps, but also 48 mph maps of the regions not covered yet. Your work has generally been very canon oriented. Will new HW maps follow that tradition, or are you considering including fan based material like Geoff's Selhomarr or my take on Blacklore and Jomphur? Whatever you decide, I am looking forward to seeing the results!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 pm

Havard wrote:That is nice to know. I also like the Hollow World. And there is no denying that the HW boxed set is one of the best written Mystara supplements out there. This is Allston at his best!
Agreed. Frankly the concept is what puts people off, because it is quite ridiculous. I don't think any game companies now would use such an idea. But if you read the books, Aaron Allston takes the hokey concept and actually pulls it off. The Mystara-historical settings were just a brilliant idea. Not to mention that this was the first real source of info on the Immortals.
That would be sweet. I would be interested in both 8mp/hex maps, but also 48 mph maps of the regions not covered yet. Your work has generally been very canon oriented. Will new HW maps follow that tradition, or are you considering including fan based material like Geoff's Selhomarr or my take on Blacklore and Jomphur? Whatever you decide, I am looking forward to seeing the results!
I've already answered this earlier today: I plan to provide both. First the official take on things, which in many of these cases will be blank maps. After that it should be relatively easy to adapt maps to materials from the Vaults, even if there are multiple versions.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Thorf wrote:Agreed. Frankly the concept is what puts people off, because it is quite ridiculous. I don't think any game companies now would use such an idea. But if you read the books, Aaron Allston takes the hokey concept and actually pulls it off. The Mystara-historical settings were just a brilliant idea. Not to mention that this was the first real source of info on the Immortals.
All good points. The only thing I think is missing is that on the one hand the set seems to suggest that the DM should use Outer World PCs to explore the Hollow World, yet on the other hand, actually getting there is so hard...
I've already answered this earlier today: I plan to provide both. First the official take on things, which in many of these cases will be blank maps. After that it should be relatively easy to adapt maps to materials from the Vaults, even if there are multiple versions.
Sorry, I guess I missed that. Sounds like an excellent idea!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

OldDawg
Troll

Post by OldDawg » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:21 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:Your post got me thinking Havard: given Old Dawg's tremendous (at least, IMO) success in his Gaz F line, would there be any interest in doing something similar for an HWR F line?
Personally, I'm not a fan of the HW, so it would be unlikely that I would ever start a HW line like I did with the gazetteers. That being said, I would be happy editing/pdfing the work if someone else wanted to head up the product line, and provided they took care of getting legal cover art, watermarks, border art, maps and the like. I don't mind working up the HWR fan-works as is either.

I would politely ask that the code designation not use the "F" signature so as to avoid confusion between different fan continuities. E.g. for Geoff's Secret Project I've suggested a G or GG suffix. For Havard's Blackmoor modules (which you should write :) ) an H seems appropriate, etc.

-OD
Moderator for Greyhawk and GazF forums. My moderator voice is cyan.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:34 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote: Your post got me thinking Havard: given Old Dawg's tremendous (at least, IMO) success in his Gaz F line, would there be any interest in doing something similar for an HWR F line? We would follow the same model (document templates, mimic the fonts, etc.) to create products with a very similar look and feel to the originals, with interior art, etc. The one change I would make is reduce the font size, as IIRC the HWR series featured larger type that resulted in skimpier products.
These would be interesting, as are the existing HWR (fan and canon).

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:37 am

How's this for a cover?

(The only problem is that Mischa's name is hard to read due to the white feather in the warrior's headdress, but I figure its visible enough, and the author's name will be reprinted inside, so...)

Working on some others, as well as trying to edit them together a bit (and possibly make some additions).

One more before my hand completely cramps up here:

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:45 am

Cthulhudrew wrote: How's this for a cover?
Wow, great covers both :)

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:58 am

Yes, great work Cthulhudrew! :)

I love how that Jennite Horse sticks his head out of the globe :lol:

Would love to see more!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:01 am

In my neverending quest for perfection, I've been tweaking the covers above a bit. I'm going to try and make the central figures a bit smaller and more central, and possibly add some kind of background behind them. So stay tuned!

Also, if anyone knows of any pictures with dwarves in lederhosen, send them my way. I'm coming up blank! :D

(Even men with beards in lederhosen would be fine!)

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey Andrew,

It's nice to see other people taking on my suggestion of replacing TSR with the Vaults logo as "publisher"... Makes me feel kinda important...

:mrgreen: Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Hey Andrew,

It's nice to see other people taking on my suggestion of replacing TSR with the Vaults logo as "publisher"... Makes me feel kinda important...
You are important Roger!

You just have a low post count... ;)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:It's nice to see other people taking on my suggestion of replacing TSR with the Vaults logo as "publisher"... Makes me feel kinda important...
Yeah- I thought that was a good idea. Definitely doesn't make much sense to put TSR on there anymore. :)

(Although, at this point, last I checked the TSR brand name had been forfeited at the trademark office, so I suppose we could revive/take it if we wanted...)

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:(Although, at this point, last I checked the TSR brand name had been forfeited at the trademark office, so I suppose we could revive/take it if we wanted...)
Absolutely correct... But, while legal, would step on a few toes that I (and others) would rather not step on.

However, if someone would make a VoP logo in the angular style of TSR... that would work too... probably even better, I think, than the (rather large) Pandius banner.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I've split this side-conversation into it's own thread here: http://www.lajzar.co.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206...

Roger

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Gawain_VIII wrote:Absolutely correct... But, while legal, would step on a few toes that I (and others) would rather not step on.
Sure, and I wasn't seriously suggesting it. Just idle speculation.

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:17 am

Havard wrote:You just have a low post count...
We all do compared to you master!! :D

I don't own any of the Hollow World stuff, but if it is part of Mystara (canon or fan created) I'm interested!
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Return to “Hollow World”