Havard's Hollow World map (and fanon locations)

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Havard's Hollow World map (and fanon locations)

Post by Big Mac »

Havard recently posted a cool looking Hollow World map over at the Hollow World group on Facebook.
Havard on the Facebook group for Hollow World wrote:A map I made years ago of the Hollow World. It shows the location of the canonical cultures on the main continent of Iciria. I also added some non-canonical cultures on the lesser continents and islands.
It is an awesome map, but I wanted to know more about the fanon locations and this is what he told me:
Havard on the Facebook group for Hollow World wrote:Non canon:
*Islandia by John Wheeler - Placed in the Wintilian Island chain
*Sehlommar by Seer of Y'hog - on Suridal
*Evergrun: From Alfheim gaz, but placement is non-canonical - On Suridal
*Everything on the continent of Jomphur is non-canonical, but taken from Blackmoor and Wilderlands settings.

Note, the coastlines and landmasses have not been altered.
Has anyone (obviously Havard has) ever shoehorned any of those places into their Hollow World game?

How well do they fit? Did you have to adapt them to get them to work?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Havard's Hollow World map (and fanon locations)

Post by Havard »

Hi Big Mac,
glad you like my map. A better quality version can be found here: http://pandius.com/HW10.jpg

BTW, I missed a couple of locations when posting about this on Facebook.

NAME | LOCATION | NOTES Islandia | Wintilian Island chain | Adaptation of John Wheeler's Setting Selhomarr Empire |Continent of Suridal | Mystara fan creation by Seer of Yhog Evergrun | Continent of Suridal |From Alfheim gaz, but placement is non-canonical Blackmoor |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Thonia |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Skandaharians |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Afridhi |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Wilderlands |Continent of Jomphur | JG Setting Empire of Bahlor |Continent of Iciria | Mystara fan creation by James Mishler Barrik's Vale | Continent of Iciria | from Valley of the Eternal Sun, official Hollow World video game

I also added official locations like Shajapur (from HWA3), the Lighthouse, Blacklore, The Island of Baraga (Merry Pirates HQ) and the lands of the various Neathar Tribes (Toralai, Makai, Valgrai,Balarai). These did not previously appear on any published map.

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone (obviously Havard has) ever shoehorned any of those places into their Hollow World game?

I prefer the term "adapted to" rather than "shoehorned", but yeah I would be interested in hearing what others have done as well :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

This map has also another version in the Vaults: http://pandius.com/hllw_map.html but it seems to miss the Evergrun and Islandia tags.
I plan to write something on non canonical HW for Threshold issue 9.
I was always bothered by the apparent isolation of HW cultures, even with the Spell of Preservation I think they should have a bit more trade, contacts and changes..
My past HW campaign did not really touched all this places, but eventually in the future I plan to give the HW a bit more cosmopolitan environment, while maintaining the Lost World/Bronze Age feel, so I'd have Selhomarr traders in Nithia and Milenian explorers travelling to Shajapur and Jhompur.
I'd not use Islandia nor the Wilderlands as I don't think they fit well in Mystara (the Wilderlands for example have lots of alien non-human races), unless heavily modified.
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Sturm wrote:This map has also another version in the Vaults: http://pandius.com/hllw_map.html but it seems to miss the Evergrun and Islandia tags.

Ah yes, that was my first attempt at making a map showing all the cultures of the Hollow World. Some people didn't like my use of the comics sans font. No idea why.. ;) :oops: :oops:
I plan to write something on non canonical HW for Threshold issue 9.
I was always bothered by the apparent isolation of HW cultures, even with the Spell of Preservation I think they should have a bit more trade, contacts and changes..
My past HW campaign did not really touched all this places, but eventually in the future I plan to give the HW a bit more cosmopolitan environment, while maintaining the Lost World/Bronze Age feel, so I'd have Selhomarr traders in Nithia and Milenian explorers travelling to Shajapur and Jhompur.
I really like these ideas! Looking forward to seeing what you will write for Threshold #9! :)

I'd not use Islandia nor the Wilderlands as I don't think they fit well in Mystara (the Wilderlands for example have lots of alien non-human races), unless heavily modified.
That is one of the reasons why I placed them so far from Iciria. In the case of Islandia, I do think a fairly modified version is the way to go. I may do a writeup of that later.

By the way, I also just posted another Hollow World settlement, not yet on this map:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13763

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:Hi Big Mac,
glad you like my map. A better quality version can be found here: http://pandius.com/HW10.jpg

BTW, I missed a couple of locations when posting about this on Facebook.

NAME | LOCATION | NOTES Islandia | Wintilian Island chain | Adaptation of John Wheeler's Setting Selhomarr Empire |Continent of Suridal | Mystara fan creation by Seer of Yhog Evergrun | Continent of Suridal |From Alfheim gaz, but placement is non-canonical Blackmoor |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Thonia |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Skandaharians |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Afridhi |Continent of Jomphur | from DA Modules Wilderlands |Continent of Jomphur | JG Setting Empire of Bahlor |Continent of Iciria | Mystara fan creation by James Mishler Barrik's Vale | Continent of Iciria | from Valley of the Eternal Sun, official Hollow World video game
I see a topic about Islandia started by Cab in 2009. That is in the Mystara forum, rather than the Hollow World forum. Have you moved Islandia in from the Known World to the Hollow World or is that topic in the wrong forum?

I also see the Selhomarr PDF's. It looks like Seer of Yhog has netbooks that he was talking about rebooting.

Why is the Evergrun thing non-canon? Was it an area that was described, but not given a full location? :?

I don't see a discussion topic for Empire of Bahlor. That's pretty sad if James Mishler has gone to the trouble of building fanon content for it. I can not seem to find it on Vaults of Pandius either. (I think I'm getting false positives on a Google search.)

PRE-POST EDIT: I found this Taymor and the Hollow World page, but it is only four pages.
Havard wrote:I also added official locations like Shajapur (from HWA3), the Lighthouse, Blacklore, The Island of Baraga (Merry Pirates HQ) and the lands of the various Neathar Tribes (Toralai, Makai, Valgrai,Balarai). These did not previously appear on any published map.
Great. Out of interest, how did you work out where on the map they needed to go?

So you locate Blackmoor, Thonia, Skandaharians and Afridhi inside Mystara rather than on the Known World. I never knew that. I thought that someone had said that Blackmoor was the past of Mystara. Is this supposed to represent the Spell of Preservation "absorbing" Blackmoor and archiving it inside the planet? :?

Extracting Barrik's Vale from the Valley of the Eternal Sun computer game sounds like the sort of raiding that I talk about in the World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza. There are a lot of websites about World of Warcraft to raid from. Is there any stuff about Valley of the Eternal Sun online? (I don't even see a Valley of the Eternal Sun topic here yet. :( )
Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Has anyone (obviously Havard has) ever shoehorned any of those places into their Hollow World game?

I prefer the term "adapted to" rather than "shoehorned", but yeah I would be interested in hearing what others have done as well :)
I prefer the term "Threshold Magazine Hollow World netbook", but we can't always have what we want. :P :lol: ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:I see a topic about Islandia started by Cab in 2009. That is in the Mystara forum, rather than the Hollow World forum. Have you moved Islandia in from the Known World to the Hollow World or is that topic in the wrong forum?
That thread is about Islandia in the Outer World. The way the Hollow World works though is that as civisations disappear in the Outer World, they are sometimes preserved within the Hollow World. I figured this was a realm that existed historically on Mystara's surface, but that now is preserved in the Hollow World. I have not done much work on the Hollow World version of the realm yet, but pinning down a location was a good start. :)
I also see the Selhomarr PDF's. It looks like Seer of Yhog has netbooks that he was talking about rebooting.
Yeah, it would be cool to see that :)
Why is the Evergrun thing non-canon? Was it an area that was described, but not given a full location? :?
Evergrun is a historical realm of Mystara's elves that is described in Gaz5. However, no official source places this realm in the Hollow World. On the other hand, I think it would be nice to have it there, even if its disappearance from the Outer World might have occurred too early for Ka and the other Immortals to save it from destruction.
I don't see a discussion topic for Empire of Bahlor. That's pretty sad if James Mishler has gone to the trouble of building fanon content for it. I can not seem to find it on Vaults of Pandius either. (I think I'm getting false positives on a Google search.)

PRE-POST EDIT: I found this Taymor and the Hollow World page, but it is only four pages.
Maybe we can start some discussion of that later? :)

Havard wrote:I also added official locations like Shajapur (from HWA3), the Lighthouse, Blacklore, The Island of Baraga (Merry Pirates HQ) and the lands of the various Neathar Tribes (Toralai, Makai, Valgrai,Balarai). These did not previously appear on any published map.
Great. Out of interest, how did you work out where on the map they needed to go?
Mostly based on descriptions in the source books.
So you locate Blackmoor, Thonia, Skandaharians and Afridhi inside Mystara rather than on the Known World. I never knew that. I thought that someone had said that Blackmoor was the past of Mystara. Is this supposed to represent the Spell of Preservation "absorbing" Blackmoor and archiving it inside the planet? :?
Correct. That is, this is the preserved version of these realms rather than the originals.
Extracting Barrik's Vale from the Valley of the Eternal Sun computer game sounds like the sort of raiding that I talk about in the World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza. There are a lot of websites about World of Warcraft to raid from. Is there any stuff about Valley of the Eternal Sun online? (I don't even see a Valley of the Eternal Sun topic here yet. :( )
I think there has been some discussion about this somewhere. I will look for it. This Valley is also interesting because it is a connection between the Hollow World and Thunder Rift. If you are interested in the Mystara Video Games, I have some research on that available here.
I prefer the term "Threshold Magazine Hollow World netbook", but we can't always have what we want. :P :lol: ;)
Well, we are getting a Hollow World issue in the next installment of Threshold Magazine, so I guess that is a start? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Hollow World”