Kingdom of Braejr and the Radient Vale

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Kingdom of Braejr and the Radient Vale

Post by Havard »

Hollow World Kingdom of Braejr and the Radient Vale
(Semi-Official)

Technology Iron Age
Lifestyle City Dwelling, Society based on magic
Population 197,000 (95% Humans, 4% Progeny, 1% other)
Outer World Origin Glantri ca AC 500 (Then known as Braejr)
Languages: Flaemish, Neathar
Government Type: Magocracy
Industries: Magical research, Mining
Furthern Reading: Gaz 1, Glantri: Kingdom of Magic, Dragonlord Trilogy

DESCRIPTION:
Before the founding of the Principalities of Glantri, that part of the Known World was known as Braejr, a kingdom that was settled mainly by Flaemish Alphatians. During their war with the Dragons of Norwold (see Dragonlord Trilogy), Ka the Preserver feared that this magic based Kingdom was about to be obliterated. He preserved a small portion of the Flaemish population in the Hollow World, directly below Glantri City. Due to some anomalies in the inner core, the magic of The Radience is actually able to penetrate the World Shield and alter the effects of magic within the Hollow World Kingdom of Braejr.

Within this realm, magic-users may still learn to cast spells without the 16 Int requirement. Spells that normally do not work in the Hollow World will function normally here. However, all of these effects stop functioning once the magic-user leaves the Kingdom of Braejr. Note also that Clerical Spells are not boosted by the Radience. Also, spells that are unknown in the Hollow World are also unknown here. The Radience has also created special magical pools. These "Radience Pools" are magical bodies of water. If a magic user submerges his body into one of these pools his spell reportoire is replenished that day.

Given their dependency on magic, the people of Braejr very rarely leave their secluded valley. However, since their magical research does require rare ingredients, they do sometimes send out brave adventurers to find such items for them. They will also be interested in outsiders, though that curiousity could lead to the Flaems subjecting visitors to research that could lead to the unfortunate death of those visitors. All in the name of research of course.

Progeny: Given the history of the Flaems wandering the Planes of Existence, producing offspring with outer planar magical beings or in other ways obtaining innate magical abilities is fairly common among this population. (See Glantri: Kingdom of Magic for details)

BACKGROUND:
The idea of a kingdom based on magic comes from an old issue of Dragon Magazine

The valley is based on an idea introduced in Voyage of the Princess Ark Part 24, p 50, Dragon #177, January 1992:
Bruce Heard wrote:The F.S.S. Beagle was a starship. The Immortal’s magic was added to its reactor after it crashed on Blackmoor. The effects of the artifact do not reach the Hollow World. Should you (as the DM) decide to affect the surface of the Hollow World, the area would be located exactly six hexes north of Fort Xichu in the Azcan Empire. The effects cover a 5-hex radius. Care to populate this desolate wilderness with Hollow World wizards?
Previous discussion of this realm here on the Piazza: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1355&p=87584

I posted a map of the Radiant Vale in a discussion at The Comeback Inn:
Havard wrote:Below is a map of the Radiant Vale, a location of the Hollow World where the power of Blackmoor magic may still be felt.

Map of Outer World Braejr by Lo Zompatore: http://www.pandius.com/glan_500.html

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Kingdom of Braejr and the Radient Vale

Post by Big Mac »

Very nice! You should submit this to Threshold Magazine.

I've got one question. What does this mean?
Havard wrote:(Semi-Official)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Big Mac wrote:Very nice! You should submit this to Threshold Magazine.

I've got one question. What does this mean?
Havard wrote:(Semi-Official)
As I note further down in the entry above, the idea of a Radience Based / Magic Based Civilization in that exact location was first suggested by Bruce Heard in Dragon Magazine #177. However, the name and most of the details have been fleshed out by myself and others participating in the links provided above, based on various other published sources. Make of it what you will :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

Looks great, Håvard!

But shouldn't the most powerful "radiant pool" be somewhere else than in the mountains. Shouldn't their capital be spot on it in the valley?
Also would a "preserved Flaem culture", not try anything to keep their bloodlines as pure as possible?
It can still be populated by a great number of outer planar races....

PS: Also as soon as outer world Flaems learn about this, it gives them somebody to save and bring home!
As the Radience does influence into this area of the Hollow World, you could perhaps also use Radiance spells otherwise not allowed in the Hollow World.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,
[Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - By Robert Frost]

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.
[The Road Not Taken - By Robert Frost]

Argentmantle
Hill Giant

Post by Argentmantle »

I just got the terrifying ideas of Pools of Radiance (Forgotten Realms PC game style) floating around...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Justinov wrote:Looks great, Håvard!

But shouldn't the most powerful "radiant pool" be somewhere else than in the mountains. Shouldn't their capital be spot on it in the valley?
The red dot in the map shows the exact location of the Radience (Nucleus of the Spheres). I am thinking that this would be the location of the Capital. Note that this map is 40 miles per hex so the valley could stretch into the mountain chain?

Also would a "preserved Flaem culture", not try anything to keep their bloodlines as pure as possible?
The inclusion of the Progeny is a nod to Kingdom of Karameikos and was one of the main additions by Monte Cook to the Glantri Setting. I am thinking that in the Hollow World, the Progeny are considered a separate race and perhaps does not have children with the Flaems? I like the idea of the Flaems being interested in keeping their bloodlines pure, although it could be something mainly the nobles care about?

PS: Also as soon as outer world Flaems learn about this, it gives them somebody to save and bring home!
As the Radience does influence into this area of the Hollow World, you could perhaps also use Radiance spells otherwise not allowed in the Hollow World.
Great ideas! I wasnt quite sure if I wanted to have the Radience Magic itself be available so far from Glantri. Also, that would contribute to draining the Radience which is something Rad might not be too happy about?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

Havard wrote:
Justinov wrote:Looks great, Håvard!

The red dot in the map shows the exact location of the Radience (Nucleus of the Spheres). I am thinking that this would be the location of the Capital. Note that this map is 40 miles per hex so the valley could stretch into the mountain chain?

The inclusion of the Progeny is a nod to Kingdom of Karameikos and was one of the main additions by Monte Cook to the Glantri Setting. I am thinking that in the Hollow World, the Progeny are considered a separate race and perhaps does not have children with the Flaems? I like the idea of the Flaems being interested in keeping their bloodlines pure, although it could be something mainly the nobles care about?

Great ideas! I wasnt quite sure if I wanted to have the Radience Magic itself be available so far from Glantri. Also, that would contribute to draining the Radience which is something Rad might not be too happy about?

-Havard
If it is directly underhead the Radiance, then it is off course the correct spot
Missed that the map is 40 miles hexes: I read Bruce's comment about five hexes and forgot he probably talks about five 8 miles hexes!
So then the valley simply cover the area of the dot (just have to change it from mountain region to a green plains hex.

I think you are right that it is mostly nobles (and rich merchants hoping to become nobles) that will have an interest of keeping their bloodlines pure [se also idea below].
The progeny could be a mix of different of many races, but I still think it is extreme to only have 15% of the population being "Flaem"? Almost 200.000 people in the valley also seem very very high?

If you want to have Radiance magic penetrating the World Shield to this location, you could have one of the effects being radiation in the water that could flow from springs from below (closer to where the world shield has a fissure), that mutated some Flaems into Progeny, but the uncorrupted part of the Flaemish populations had an overall immune defense strengthened enough to withstand it? [which actually does happen in Nature as around Tjernobyl]
So you have these days (1000 AC or 1010 AC) fairly uncontaminated Flaems and those mutated by the Radiance pools into Progeny and they might keep mutating. These days they are seen as two different races! If you drink from the public fountains full of radioactive water, you can turn into progeny if you don't have the strengthened immune defense!

Variant: Those uncorrupted Flaems, who were rich enough to drink melted ice brought down from the mountains, are uncontaminated and still have uncorrupted DNA; whereas the power Flaems drinking from the public fountains are Progeny?

That could be an alternative way to avoid having lots extra-planar creatures running around in Hollow World (as outsiders wouldn't they just roam around Hollow World like adventurers from the outside world).

The Hollow World Cultural effect:
So you could have paranoid pure Flaems staying always in the valley to avoid mutation-corruption sending out progeny servants on missions, who they all think can survive the dangers of mutation.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,/But I have promises to keep,/And miles to go before I sleep,

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—/I took the one less traveled by,/And that has made all the difference.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Justinov wrote:If it is directly underhead the Radiance, then it is off course the correct spot
Missed that the map is 40 miles hexes: I read Bruce's comment about five hexes and forgot he probably talks about five 8 miles hexes!
So then the valley simply cover the area of the dot (just have to change it from mountain region to a green plains hex.
Pretty much yes. I do think Bruce was referring to the same map that I was using. With that scale, there should be no problem with fitting a small valley into such a mountainous region.
I think you are right that it is mostly nobles (and rich merchants hoping to become nobles) that will have an interest of keeping their bloodlines pure [se also idea below].
The progeny could be a mix of different of many races, but I still think it is extreme to only have 15% of the population being "Flaem"? Almost 200.000 people in the valley also seem very very high?
Yikes! You caught a typo there. It meant to say 95% Flaems. :oops:
It is possible that 200.000 people total is too high. Then again I sort of wanted the population to be sustainable as well. What do you think?

If you want to have Radiance magic penetrating the World Shield to this location, you could have one of the effects being radiation in the water that could flow from springs from below (closer to where the world shield has a fissure), that mutated some Flaems into Progeny, but the uncorrupted part of the Flaemish populations had an overall immune defense strengthened enough to withstand it? [which actually does happen in Nature as around Tjernobyl]
So you have these days (1000 AC or 1010 AC) fairly uncontaminated Flaems and those mutated by the Radiance pools into Progeny and they might keep mutating. These days they are seen as two different races! If you drink from the public fountains full of radioactive water, you can turn into progeny if you don't have the strengthened immune defense!

Variant: Those uncorrupted Flaems, who were rich enough to drink melted ice brought down from the mountains, are uncontaminated and still have uncorrupted DNA; whereas the power Flaems drinking from the public fountains are Progeny?

That could be an alternative way to avoid having lots extra-planar creatures running around in Hollow World (as outsiders wouldn't they just roam around Hollow World like adventurers from the outside world).
Some very cool ideas there. My idea was actually that the Progeny predate the transportation to the Hollow World, but I definitely like your ideas. By the way the whole "Radience Pool" thing was just something I threw in as an afterthrought and a not do the FR Computer Game, but it is fun that this aspect is now growing in our discussions! :)
The Hollow World Cultural effect:
So you could have paranoid pure Flaems staying always in the valley to avoid mutation-corruption sending out progeny servants on missions, who they all think can survive the dangers of mutation.
I like it! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Justinov
Stone Giant

Post by Justinov »

So with 95% Flaems it does makes a lot more sense to me !
The Progeny always look to me as to much "AD&D" to really fit with Mystara (which doesn't have half-elves or half-orcs and so on). Having Progeny as a "Radiance-Mutation" among certain populations of the Flaems in the Hollow World would make it unique to that place.
As "Tainted" they might be utterly free of Hollow World cultural restraints and can travel around as adventurers or special missions for the Flaems. Besides physical changes one could introduce "Insanities" as well. Adventuring would be CRAZY for instance.
The Flaems themselves are to TERRIFIED to leave the valley or drink and touch anything not purified first for taint......

Lucky then I took your Radiance Pool as literal "Pools" of Radiance-filled water. When the first freaks (progeny) were birthed, then the Flaemish realized they had to purify their water and food for taint.
The effect off Hollow World in the Flaemish memory could be that this group thinks that "this is the regular Mystara" they arrived to after centuries of planar travels (visiting many other toxic places). If one Flaem came back to outer-world Glantri, he could eventually realize that something had been forgotten, but you would have to magically force them to leave the valley as "it is suicide".

NB: Given that the Flaemish is so isolated by choice, they probably should only speak Flaemish and not Neathar.
Progeny can learn easily learn Neathar on their travels, but no Flaem would speak such an "inferior language".

Forgot your question about population. As only a minor part of the Flaems were removed to Hollow World, then 20.000-30.000 seems perhaps more reasonable?
Half in the capital and the rest in mining or agriculture (with special crops-strains that doesn't taint, so also animals eating hay doesn't get tainted meat or milk).

Seems were are already doing something for the Threshold Magazine 9, eh Håvard :mrgreen:
This actually is really close to my stuff I'm currently working on for Threshold 10 (Glantri), where I actually have chosen the Flaems & Radiance.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Oh... I really like this idea, though upon first reading it I my initial vision took a somewhat different direction.

I definitely like the idea actual "pools of radiance". I can see the nobility building their mansions around these natural occurring springs and bathing in them to absorb the raw power that they bring. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Hearst Castle, but that was the first image that popped into my head. Pools such as these would essentially take the place of Glantri's Radiance Receptacles. Perhaps lesser vassals (those without their own pools) are allowed to visit their liege's pools for a certain amount of time (based on their own status and power levels) so that they might be able to absorb a portion of the pool's radiance levels. In return for this they pledge their loyalty to the owner of the pool.

I also like the idea of the planar progeny having existed since the Flaems were on their exodus through the outer planes. This might allow us to have 3 different levels of society in Braejr:
1) Pure blood Flaems: These lines would be extremely paranoid about keeping their racial purity. They probably still tell tales of their ancestor's travels through the planes, and of the trials they went through to remain uncorrupted by them.
2) Half blood Flaems: These could be Flaem lines with mixed human and "planar" bloodlines.
3) Progeny: These "Flaem" bloodlines have somehow been corrupted/coopted by their ancestor's travels through the planes, and they are no longer fully "human" any more.

This kind of setup also allows us to create strife and conflict within Braejr society itself, with each culture/bloodline trying to achieve dominance of the nation (but because of the SoP non of them can wipe the others out).

Perhaps the reason that we don't see progeny in Outer World Glantri, is that the pure bloods eventually "won" their conflict, and removed the lesser bloodlines from Glantri's history.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm »

In the new issue of Threshold (issue 9) you can see the names Highlands and Braejir on page 38 in the Iciria map :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Return to “Hollow World”