[Oostdok] Gnomes of the Hollow World

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Oostdok] Gnomes of the Hollow World

Postby Havard » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:23 pm

I was just rereading Fabrizio's old Gnome Timeline at Pandius.com when I came across this:

Fabrizio wrote:What follows is a timeline of gnomish migrations on Mystara. Unlike the elvish ones there're no many inconsistencies in TSR products about gnomes, probably because there're less products that speaks about them :) Anyway there's one problem: GAZ 7 states that Kobolds attacked and exterminated the Gnomes living in the Northern Reaches in 490 BC, while PWA2 (and probably PWA1 and 3 too) under the entry for Oostdok says that the Valoin Gnomes lived in the Northern Reaches until 490 AC when they were exterminated by a Kobold invasion, and this is not a typo (AC instead of BC) because a few lines before it says that they lived in the Northern Reaches until the beginning of the sixth century. In my timeline I assume that the GAZ 7 timeline is the correct one, but that's just my opinion.

490 BC: Kobold clans are driven into the uplands of the Northern Reaches from the west. They overrun and exterminate the gnomes, and occupy their subterranean kingdoms. (GAZ 7)

The Immortals transport the Valoin Gnomes on a Floating Continent in the HW. (PWA2)

* I talked about this at the beginning *

V cent. AC: On Serraine the whole Flamaeker clan is hurled into the Void by an experiment went awry. The immortals transport the clan on a Floating Continent in the HW (PWA2)

778 AC: The flying islands of Valoin and Flamaeker collide giving birth to the new flying continent of Oostdok. (PWA2)

978 AC: Heldannic Knights invade Oostdok. (PWA2)

1010 AC: With the help of Alphatia the Gnomes on Oostdok free themselves from the Heldannic Knights. (PWA2)

Oostdok, HW: 20000 gnomes

What else is known about Oostdok? Do other races live there besides Gnomes? Are Gnomes found elsewhere in the Hollow World? The Timeline mentions Gnomes in Alphatian Neatharum, but where else?

Are the Gnomes of Oostdok standard Skygnomes? Would they have access to the type of devices found in the Falun Caves from Gaz7?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Oostdok] Gnomes of the Hollow World

Postby Patrick » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:08 am

Good questions! I just scanned through the VotPA article from Dragon #162 to refresh my memory. A fun read--recommended, if you have access!

What else is known about Oostdok?

It's a small floating continent made up of two floating islands which were previously capable of independent controlled flight, until they collided and remained stuck together. Oostdok seems to be loosely inspired by Belgium.

Do other races live there besides Gnomes?

Bruce Heard's article mentions snails, some sort of silkworm, and "all types of poultry and eggs." Plus the Heldannic Knights, at that point, and briefly the Princess Ark and its assorted passengers. But it doesn't discuss other races, which seems to imply that it's pretty much all gnomes.

Are Gnomes found elsewhere in the Hollow World? The Timeline mentions Gnomes in Alphatian Neatharum, but where else?

The Oostdok gnomes have trade connections with "other mainland cultures," but this article at least doesn't specify just which ones (it mentions as an example of a local food "'Azcan' Steak"--I'm not at all sure what the quotes around Azcan might imply... maybe the idea is an analogue of beef bourguignon?). I can't think of any other mentions of gnomes in the Hollow World.

Are the Gnomes of Oostdok standard Skygnomes? Would they have access to the type of devices found in the Falun Caves from Gaz7?

They're definitely culturally distinct from Serraine, but they're definitely techno-tinkerers and inventors. I don't have my copy of Top Ballista on hand, but I think the skygnome stats should probably work fine in Oostdok. Oostdok's most visible devices are their hot-air dirigibles (there's a portrait card of one in the Champions of Mystara boxed set), but it's clear that they have many other gadgets, too--and they've taken to engineering not only devices, but also business processes and law and so forth. I'd say that analogues of the Falun Cave devices could very likely be found in working condition within Oostdok.
Patrick
Bugbear

Postby Patrick » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Do other races live there besides Gnomes?

Bruce Heard's article mentions snails, some sort of silkworm, and "all types of poultry and eggs." Plus the Heldannic Knights, at that point, and briefly the Princess Ark and its assorted passengers. But it doesn't discuss other races, which seems to imply that it's pretty much all gnomes.

I was just looking at the Oostdok entry in PWA3, and it adds bats, air elementals, rats, sprites, and miniature breeds of goats, sheep, and cattle.
Patrick
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:25 am

Patrick wrote:I was just looking at the Oostdok entry in PWA3, and it adds bats, air elementals, rats, sprites, and miniature breeds of goats, sheep, and cattle.

Cool. Since we have Sprites mentioned that might open the door for Pixies and other Fey as well? Maybe even a handful of Frost Drakes (in Gnome shape)?

What's up with these miniature goats, sheep and cattle? How small are they? Like Guilliver's Travel small? Sounds like something the Kubbits might want to get their hands on...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Havard wrote:What's up with these miniature goats, sheep and cattle? How small are they? Like Guilliver's Travel small? Sounds like something the Kubbits might want to get their hands on...

Kubitts are about twice as big as Lilliputians, but even so, I think miniature cattle would be too large for them. At least I assume Bruce was referring to what we in the RW consider miniature cattle, which are around 46" or so (with miniature sheep and goats around 16" to 24" from what I read). Smaller cattle and sheep like those would be easier for the shorter gnomes to herd than regular cattle (plus wouldn't take up as much space on the island), but would still be enormous compared to the 1 foot tall Kubitts. Make good riding animals, though.

Another good question this raises, though: even miniature livestock would still take a tremendous toll on the local flora over time. Oostdok is not a large island, and its been populated for several centuries. How have the gnomes managed to keep the ecological damage contained or even negated altogether, or have they? If not, they would either need to import most of their agricultural goods or resort to piracy.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Sturm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Another good question this raises, though: even miniature livestock would still take a tremendous toll on the local flora over time. Oostdok is not a large island, and its been populated for several centuries. How have the gnomes managed to keep the ecological damage contained or even negated altogether, or have they? If not, they would either need to import most of their agricultural goods or resort to piracy.

The idea they could have massive imports is nice as it links them with the surface.
Also it would fit with the Hollow World if Oostdok has a plant fertility higher than normal.. IMC I normally assume life is more abundant in Mystara than in the RW, thus allowing more monsters and more adventures. This should be even more true for the HW, IMO...
Last edited by Sturm on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Kubitts are about twice as big as Lilliputians, but even so, I think miniature cattle would be too large for them. At least I assume Bruce was referring to what we in the RW consider miniature cattle, which are around 46" or so (with miniature sheep and goats around 16" to 24" from what I read). Smaller cattle and sheep like those would be easier for the shorter gnomes to herd than regular cattle (plus wouldn't take up as much space on the island), but would still be enormous compared to the 1 foot tall Kubitts. Make good riding animals, though.

Ah, you may be right abouyt this. I assumed miniature would refer to Lilliputian size cattle and sheep, but it is perhaps much more likely that we are talking about "gnome size" animals.

Another good question this raises, though: even miniature livestock would still take a tremendous toll on the local flora over time. Oostdok is not a large island, and its been populated for several centuries. How have the gnomes managed to keep the ecological damage contained or even negated altogether, or have they? If not, they would either need to import most of their agricultural goods or resort to piracy.

Good question. Could the gnomes be using other floating islands (perhaps just floating, grass covered rocks) for their livestock beyond Oostdok itself?

Maybe something like this (Image from Avatar)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Hollow World