[Pellucidar] [HW] Pelluidar and the Hollow World?

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

[Pellucidar] [HW] Pelluidar and the Hollow World?

Postby Havard » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 pm

I found a map and some basic information about Pellucidar in this thread:

Big Mac wrote:I just saw a page about Pellucidiar on Encyclopedia Barsoomia.

Encyclopedia Barsoomia is an encyclopedia about Barsoom, so I'm not quite sure of the connection. Here is what they say about Pellucidiar:
Encyclopedia Barsoomia wrote:Pellucidar
Pellucidar is the interior world of the planet Earth. Beneath the surface of earth it is a warm and vibrant environment filled with creatures long since extinct upon the surface.

Geography
Being located within the Earth, Pellucidar has no horizon, the horizon curving upward in the distance. There is no night there within Pellucidar, the core of the earth being a bright sun in the center providing perpetual light.

Back to Mystara.
How similar are these two settings? Is there anything we can use from the Edgar Rice Burroughs's Pellucidar and Tarzan/Pellucidar stories to expand on the Hollow World of Mystara?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Pellucidar] [HW] Pelluidar and the Hollow World?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:13 pm

I've been trying to find Pellucidar books in used bookstores for a while now, with little luck. I finally was able to acquire one (Back to the Stone Age) at the Long Beach Comic Con a couple of weeks ago, but haven't read it yet. I know that at least one (At The Earth's Core) can be read online various places, as it is public domain, and the second one may also be.

In any event, this is something that has been intriguing me ever since I first heard about Burroughs' Pellucidar/Hollow Earth series, and so if anyone else has read it or had experience with the setting, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it, as well!

As soon as I get to reading the one I've got, I'll give a review.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 pm

While on vacation, I managed to pick up an edition of Pellucidar (the first three novels) at Powell's Books in Portland. I'm only on the 4th chapter or so, but it is interesting. It very much reads like other Burroughs' stories I've read (at least the John Carter series, which is the only other Burroughs I've read to date).

There do seem to be some good things to pluck from it, so far- descriptions of the interior of the world, and something that I've wanted for some time now- native names for dinosaurs. The main character is given names for the creatures in the major human race's tongue, and his companion (a scientist) often describes the same creatures with their scientific names. I hate using the modern taxonomical terms in-game, so having these alternatives is great (and something I'd wanted to do on my own). It remains to be seen yet if there is any rhyme or reason to the names, or if they are just random words, though.

Other than that, the only other things that seem noteworthy are a monkey-like race, an intelligent gorilla race, and a race of lizard-men creatures that have a powerful empire. They are described as being humanoid rhamphorhynchuses, so more like humanoid pterosaurs than lizards, but they could be a good stand-in for Carnifex.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Yaztromo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:05 pm

If you go here http://www.arion-games.com/affBarsoom.pdf you will find that appendix 6 is dedicated to Pellucidar and its creatures.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm

So I've finished the first two Pellucidar novels (At The Earth's Core and Pellucidar), and am beginning the third (Tanar of Pellucidar). In addition to things I noted in my earlier post, there appear to be a Brute-Man like race in Pellucidar (the Gr-gr-gr) as well as what appears so far to be some kind of Merry Pirate stand-in (the Korsars, who I'm just starting to learn about in the current book). The Korsars seem far less Merry than the "Merry" pirates, though. I am convinced at this point that Aaron Allston must have been aware of- if not directly influenced by- Burroughs' Pellucidar setting.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:So I've finished the first two Pellucidar novels (At The Earth's Core and Pellucidar), and am beginning the third (Tanar of Pellucidar). In addition to things I noted in my earlier post, there appear to be a Brute-Man like race in Pellucidar (the Gr-gr-gr) as well as what appears so far to be some kind of Merry Pirate stand-in (the Korsars, who I'm just starting to learn about in the current book). The Korsars seem far less Merry than the "Merry" pirates, though. I am convinced at this point that Aaron Allston must have been aware of- if not directly influenced by- Burroughs' Pellucidar setting.

Very interesting!

I have never had a chance to read any of these. I am not surprised that the Pellucidar novels would have been a heavy influence on Allston (and perhaps Bruce?). I find your observations on the Merry Pirates pretty interesting. I suggested a similar approach to the Pirates in this thread as you may remember.

I wonder if the need to add some room for Halflings in the Hollow World could have been the main reason for making them "Merry"? Of course we do not know that much about the Merry Pirates based on the description in the HW boxed set alone. If we had ever seen an official HWR Guide for the Merry Pirate Seas we may have seen a very different version even there.

What do you think? Keep us posted on your future reading! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby hihama » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:10 pm

You can find most of the Pellucidar books free in Project Gutenberg if you are interested to read them.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Return to Hollow World