HWR2 Kingdom of Nithia

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

HWR2 Kingdom of Nithia

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:29 pm

What are people's thoughts on this book?

Would you consider running a campaign in Hollow World's Kingdom of Nithia? Or a campaign set in historical Outer World Nithia before the destruction of that realm?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: HWR2 Kingdom of Nithia

Post by Chimpman » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:55 am

This is one of those supplements that I think suffers from "not enough love" syndrome. It's got the same problem inherent in most of the other HW material - the society as presented is fairly monolithic. So if you want to play in Nithia the choices that you have are to play a Nithian... or play a Nithian... :P

I've often thought about giving this nation the same kind of player's choices treatment that we worked up for Azca (see here, or Threshold Issue #9).

If I were going to run a historical Outer World Nithian campaign I think I would want to include the following race options for PCs:
  • Human (Nithian) - by far the dominant human race in the region
  • Human (Antalian) - depending on the time frame and location, Antalians could be outsiders to society or come from a slave/conquered population
  • Human (Traladaran/Traldar) - depending on the time frame and location, they could be outsiders to society or come from a slave/conquered population
  • Dwarf - despite what canon says about dwarves never meeting Nithians (or vice versa) there is no way the two societies didn't come into contact... especially since the dwarves of the time were pretty aggressive about colonizing outside their borders.
  • Humanoid - (during mid to late era Nithia) of Oenkmarian descent
  • Lizardman - (during early era Nithia) of Mogrethian descent, though these races probably would not have gotten along, and lizardmen of the time would have been persecuted by Nithians.
  • Hutaaka - (during mid to late era Nithia)
  • Elf - (mid to late era Nithia)
Of course, after a long history on the outer world, any of these races/cultures could have been integrated into the general Nithian population and moved into the Hollow World, so I think I would set up a HW Nithia campaign with that in mind as well.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is one of those supplements that I think suffers from "not enough love" syndrome.

Absolutely! I think a Nithia campaign, either within the Hollow World, or running it as a historical realm would be fascinating! One example of a Nithia campaign that I always found inspiring is Steve Winter's Nithians vs. Milennians campaign.

It's got the same problem inherent in most of the other HW material - the society as presented is fairly monolithic. So if you want to play in Nithia the choices that you have are to play a Nithian... or play a Nithian... :P

I've often thought about giving this nation the same kind of player's choices treatment that we worked up for Azca (see here, or Threshold Issue #9).

If I were going to run a historical Outer World Nithian campaign I think I would want to include the following race options for PCs:
  • Human (Nithian) - by far the dominant human race in the region
  • Human (Antalian) - depending on the time frame and location, Antalians could be outsiders to society or come from a slave/conquered population
  • Human (Traladaran/Traldar) - depending on the time frame and location, they could be outsiders to society or come from a slave/conquered population
  • Dwarf - despite what canon says about dwarves never meeting Nithians (or vice versa) there is no way the two societies didn't come into contact... especially since the dwarves of the time were pretty aggressive about colonizing outside their borders.
  • Humanoid - (during mid to late era Nithia) of Oenkmarian descent
  • Lizardman - (during early era Nithia) of Mogrethian descent, though these races probably would not have gotten along, and lizardmen of the time would have been persecuted by Nithians.
  • Hutaaka - (during mid to late era Nithia)
  • Elf - (mid to late era Nithia)
Of course, after a long history on the outer world, any of these races/cultures could have been integrated into the general Nithian population and moved into the Hollow World, so I think I would set up a HW Nithia campaign with that in mind as well.

I think those are some great ideas. I agree with you that Dwarves and Nithians ought to have been in contact. I think that Hamunaptra from Green Ronin's Mystic Vista Series could be a great resource for this type of campaign.

I'd also like to see Gatormen, Rakasta and Gyerians perhaps.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Hmmmm.... I wonder if a retro-fit of Paizo's Mummy's Mask AP would work in Nithia. I don't own it so I don't know.
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:01 pm

maddog wrote:Hmmmm.... I wonder if a retro-fit of Paizo's Mummy's Mask AP would work in Nithia. I don't own it so I don't know.
--Ray.
I may have one or two of those adventures, but I don't think I have the complete set. Anyway, a few of Paizo's one off "Egyptian style" adventures would also probably work fairly well in Nithia.

J1: Entombed with the Pharoahs
and J4: The Pact Stone Pyramid

I own both of these and I think they would both work fairly well in a Nithia campaign with just a little bit of tweaking. There are probably a few more modules/supplements that we could pull from Paizo's bench.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is one of those supplements that I think suffers from "not enough love" syndrome. It's got the same problem inherent in most of the other HW material - the society as presented is fairly monolithic. So if you want to play in Nithia the choices that you have are to play a Nithian... or play a Nithian... :P
The art on the book looks Egyptian. Can you just grab any Egyptian-like D&D and non-D&D products and use them to add extra detail to Nithia?

Or are there any special things about Nithia (I suppose like that Spell of Preservation) that make it hard to raid from a lot of otherwise good Egyptian sources?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Chimpman wrote:This is one of those supplements that I think suffers from "not enough love" syndrome. It's got the same problem inherent in most of the other HW material - the society as presented is fairly monolithic. So if you want to play in Nithia the choices that you have are to play a Nithian... or play a Nithian... :P
The art on the book looks Egyptian. Can you just grab any Egyptian-like D&D and non-D&D products and use them to add extra detail to Nithia?

Or are there any special things about Nithia (I suppose like that Spell of Preservation) that make it hard to raid from a lot of otherwise good Egyptian sources?
I think that in general most "Egyptian style" supplements would be usable in a Nithian campaign... it's just going to depend on where/when in history you are running the campaign. AND... there is a lot of history in Nithia... On the outer world Nithia exists from BC 2000 (their dawn) to BC 500 (when the immortals erase them from the world). Then in the Hollow World they would have existed from BC 500 (purified of their corruption... at least mostly ;) ) until the present day which is AC 1000. So that's 1500 years on the Outer World, and another 1500 years in the Hollow World.

That's plenty of time to fit just about any other Egyptian supplement into the mix IMO.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Getting back to some race options:
Havard wrote: I'd also like to see Gatormen, Rakasta and Gyerians perhaps.
I agree, though I'd like to find some Known World precedence for each of those races to be drawn into the Nihian Empire.

Gatormen - these I think should be rather easy. They are probably outcasts/survivors of the Empire of Mogreth. Small pockets of them could have survived here and there in Nithia proper and could have been assimilated into Nithian culture rather quickly. Of course... some of the old ways may have still survived amongst these populations as well, making them havens for Outer Being worship (and possibly one source of Nithian corruption in the future)

Rakasta - Although rakasta don't have a large population foothold in the Known World, I think there are plenty examples of populations in the area (both from canon and fanon). One of the early Threshold articles revisits rakasta of the Known world, so we should be able to figure out a logical breed and region to pull these guys from

Gyerians - not so sure about these guys, as I don't know of any canon populations directly in the Known World. They could very well have been encountered during Nithian exploration of the Outer World (either on the shores of Davania or along the Savage Coast). From there populations of these creatures could have been integrated into the Empire (and also subsequently moved to the HW).
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:15 pm

Chimpman wrote:Getting back to some race options:
Havard wrote: I'd also like to see Gatormen, Rakasta and Gyerians perhaps.
I agree, though I'd like to find some Known World precedence for each of those races to be drawn into the Nihian Empire.

Gatormen - these I think should be rather easy. They are probably outcasts/survivors of the Empire of Mogreth. Small pockets of them could have survived here and there in Nithia proper and could have been assimilated into Nithian culture rather quickly. Of course... some of the old ways may have still survived amongst these populations as well, making them havens for Outer Being worship (and possibly one source of Nithian corruption in the future)
Makes sense. I don't remember what the exact origin of the Mogreth, but I think that they could even be of the original Blackmoorian Gatorman stock?
Rakasta - Although rakasta don't have a large population foothold in the Known World, I think there are plenty examples of populations in the area (both from canon and fanon). One of the early Threshold articles revisits rakasta of the Known world, so we should be able to figure out a logical breed and region to pull these guys from
I believe that Bast, the creator of the Rakasta was also among the Nithian deities? I mean Bruce Heard created her later on, but it seems likely, no? :)
Gyerians - not so sure about these guys, as I don't know of any canon populations directly in the Known World. They could very well have been encountered during Nithian exploration of the Outer World (either on the shores of Davania or along the Savage Coast). From there populations of these creatures could have been integrated into the Empire (and also subsequently moved to the HW).
My inspiration for suggesting this is of course Horus, Ra and other bird headed Egyptian figures. On the other hand Gyerians a really Chicken-folk and not birdfolk in general I suppose. I believe the Gyerian realm of Plooh is somewhere in the Midlands, but I suppose other breeds could be found in the lands you mention. Being a cosmopolitan center of the world, Nithia would have been sure to attract visitors from distant parts of Mystara.

Perhaps we could even add different breeds of Gyerians ala the Rakasta and Lupin so that some of them are based on other birds instead of just chickens? PC stats for the Gyerians are found in the thread linked above btw.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:57 am

Havard wrote:My inspiration for suggesting this is of course Horus, Ra and other bird headed Egyptian figures.
Ahhh! I add lycanthropes to my Nithia for just the same reason. Were-hawks have to come from somewhere after all ;)
Havard wrote:On the other hand Gyerians a really Chicken-folk and not birdfolk in general I suppose. I believe the Gyerian realm of Plooh is somewhere in the Midlands, but I suppose other breeds could be found in the lands you mention. Being a cosmopolitan center of the world, Nithia would have been sure to attract visitors from distant parts of Mystara.
Also true. I really like the idea of a cosmopolitan nation, especially for late era and HW Nithias.
Havard wrote:Perhaps we could even add different breeds of Gyerians ala the Rakasta and Lupin so that some of them are based on other birds instead of just chickens? PC stats for the Gyerians are found in the thread linked above btw.
This is another good idea... Hmmm... I sense perhaps a Threshold article shaping up. :D
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:03 pm

IIRC, there are references to Gnomes in Cynidicea in B4: The Lost City (if only in pictorial descriptions of its history in the lower levels of the pyramid). They could certainly fit in somewhere.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:47 pm

Chimpman wrote:Rakasta - Although rakasta don't have a large population foothold in the Known World, I think there are plenty examples of populations in the area (both from canon and fanon). One of the early Threshold articles revisits rakasta of the Known world, so we should be able to figure out a logical breed and region to pull these guys from
There's also Bruce's rakasta article from Dragon #247. I haven't re-read it in a while, but it should help with options.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:25 pm

I made a compilation of resources for Fantasy Egypt style campaigns here. Do you think any of these might be useful for a Nithia Campaign?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Hollow World”