Hollow World back in print!

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Hollow World back in print!

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:49 pm

The D&D Classics line over at Dungeon Master's Guild just had the Print on Demand switch turned on and one of the first out of print Dungons & Dragons products to come back into print (via PoD) is the Hollow World Campaign Setting:
Hollow World Campaign Setting at DMs Guild wrote:Hollow World Campaign Setting (Basic)
From Wizards of the Coast

Selected Option:
  • Watermarked PDF $9.99
  • Softcover Color Book (Standard Heavyweight) $19.99
  • Watermarked PDF + Softcover Color Book (Standard Heavyweight) $29.98 $21.99

THE KNOWN WORLD: IT ISN'T FLAT, BUT IT IS HOLLOW.

Within the sphere of the Know World is another world, the Hollow World. There your characters will meet ancient Nithians, long disappeared from the surface world and thought extinct: Blacklore Elves, living in a magical valley and served by automatons-devices that take care of everything, from serving their food to trimming their grass: Azcans, terrifying, war-mongering natives whose taste for battle extends even into their favorite game-the loosers always die- and many more. Monsters abound as well, from dinosaurs to aurochs.

In the Hollow World, the sun never sets. Magic works differently than it does "outside"-some spells don't work at all. And quite often, getting in is much, much easier than getting out.

A 128-page Dungeon Master's Sourcebook, with everything the DM needs to run an exciting campaign in the Hollow World. Also in this book are extensive entries on all the Immortals represented in the Hollow World: their interests, their allies, their enemies.

A 64-page Player's Book, including how-to's for creating a native Hollow World character and ways to bring a Known World character into the Hollow World. Included in this are new spells specifically for the Hollow World.

A 32-page Adventure Book, containing several starter adventures and entries on the various monsters found in the Hollow World.

Four full-size, full-color map sheets, showing the Know World and the Hollow World, and detailing the central, most populous areas of the Hollow World.

Ways and means to adapt this material to the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition game!

Note on the Softcover edition: While the Hollow World Campaign Setting was originally a box set, this print edition combines the Dungeon Master's Sourcebook, Player's Book, and Adventure Book, plus the maps, into a single softcover tome.

The PoD version is $19.99 USD + shipping (£15.96 + shipping in the UK), but if you would prefer to buy the original boxed set version (with separate books and maps) the Hollow World Campaign Set article on the Book-House on The Piazza* can help you find Amazon deals. (The Book-House also has product information links and reviews that can help you make a purchasing decision.)

* = The Book-House on The Piazza uses affiliate links that mean that Amazon and DMs Guild/DriveThru/RPG Now pay a bounty to The Piazza that goes towards the hosting costs of The Piazza. So if you like using this forum, you can shop via the Book-House links to support it (at no cost to yourself).

What Hollow World product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Hollow World back in print!

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Fantastic news!
Mystara is back in print! This is amazing! :)

For those who do not own the Hollow World boxed set, I really recommend this product. Simply from a game design perspective I think it is one of the best Mystara products available. I wish they had made more products for Mystara modelled after this boxed set.

Big Mac wrote:
Hollow World Campaign Setting at DMs Guild wrote:Note on the Softcover edition: While the Hollow World Campaign Setting was originally a box set, this print edition combines the Dungeon Master's Sourcebook, Player's Book, and Adventure Book, plus the maps, into a single softcover tome.

Neat. I was wondering how they would handle this. I am also really curious to see what this tome looks like. I also wonder how they have handled the poster maps. If it is as cool as I think it is, I hope we will get to see similar releases for Dawn of the Emperors, Wrath of the Immortals, Champions of Mystara and BECMI.

* = The Book-House on The Piazza uses affiliate links that mean that Amazon and DMs Guild/DriveThru/RPG Now pay a bounty to The Piazza that goes towards the hosting costs of The Piazza. So if you like using this forum, you can shop via the Book-House links to support it (at no cost to yourself).

Worth it. I am ordering a copy of this book. So happy to support the Piazza while I do it :)

What Hollow World product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?

Well, the total number of existing HW products is fairly limited. Out of those, one thing I would really like to see is the HWA Trilogy, ideally collected into a single mega module.

If it was possible I would also love to see brand new material , including the fan created HWR Guides!

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:15 pm

Big Mac wrote:What Hollow World product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?

This is a bit more general than just being a Hollow World product, but I'd sure like to see the Rules Cyclopedia made available in POD.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Havard wrote:Fantastic news!
Mystara is back in print! This is amazing! :)

For those who do not own the Hollow World boxed set, I really recommend this product. Simply from a game design perspective I think it is one of the best Mystara products available. I wish they had made more products for Mystara modelled after this boxed set.

I was interested in this, just because of the radial idea that there was a world inside another world. I don't think I even knew what Mystara was at that stage.

I got put off by the "Basic D&D"/"Advanced D&D" hype. It made me think that I wouldn't understand this product. :roll:

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Hollow World Campaign Setting at DMs Guild wrote:Note on the Softcover edition: While the Hollow World Campaign Setting was originally a box set, this print edition combines the Dungeon Master's Sourcebook, Player's Book, and Adventure Book, plus the maps, into a single softcover tome.

Neat. I was wondering how they would handle this. I am also really curious to see what this tome looks like. I also wonder how they have handled the poster maps. If it is as cool as I think it is, I hope we will get to see similar releases for Dawn of the Emperors, Wrath of the Immortals, Champions of Mystara and BECMI.

I do think that boxed sets are a poor format (from a PoD point of view) and this is exactly what I thought they should do to avoid the costs of combining items and building bespoke PoD boxes for them.

I believe we will see every D&D product at some point. I think they are going to add a number of products every week.

I wonder how long it will be before they complete the Hollow World product line.

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:* = The Book-House on The Piazza uses affiliate links that mean that Amazon and DMs Guild/DriveThru/RPG Now pay a bounty to The Piazza that goes towards the hosting costs of The Piazza. So if you like using this forum, you can shop via the Book-House links to support it (at no cost to yourself).

Worth it. I am ordering a copy of this book. So happy to support the Piazza while I do it :)

Me too.

I actually asked Ashtagon to give me editing rights on the Book-House so that I could get the products I wanted to buy up there. I'll have to go add some more articles quick, so I can order them, when the get added to the PoD program. (I do also check for other sources, to see if I can buy cheap second-hand copies, but this PoD thing is going to create a stable base-price that I can depend on.)

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What Hollow World product would you like to see return to print via Print on Demand next?

Well, the total number of existing HW products is fairly limited. Out of those, one thing I would really like to see is the HWA Trilogy, ideally collected into a single mega module.

I don't think they will combine the three HWA products into a single volume. That would stop someone who already owns HWA1 from buying HWA2 and HWA3 separately.

Havard wrote:If it was possible I would also love to see brand new material , including the fan created HWR Guides!

I'd say yes and no to that (as a guess).

I believe that Mystara will get added to DMs Guild, at some point...

...either after WotC publish a new Mystara product...or...at some point when WotC decide to add settings to the DMs Guild program without waiting any more.

However, so far, they only allow 5th Edition content to be put up on DMs Guild.

So I think that people would need to create 5th Edition Mystara products to sell them there.

I'd rather stick with freebies and not have to use 5e rules, to be honest.

I'll have to look into finding a print shop that will print these fan HWA products for me.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Morfie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 am

All four Poster maps just added, both the segmented versions from the prior scan, and new full-version scans

:D
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:08 am

Morfie wrote:
All four Poster maps just added, both the segmented versions from the prior scan, and new full-version scans

:D

That is great news! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragon Turtle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Discussion about the Hollow World vs. the Underdark Concept split into a separate thread here.

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Postby Havard » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm

My copy just arrived! :)

(miniatures not included)

The cover came out with a pink-ish hue which was a bit disappointing, but not a big deal. The maps actually look fairly good.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 am

Looks great. I'll be placing an order for it myself in January.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 pm

The pink-ish hue might be appropriate, given the lighting from that central red sun :P
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Havard » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:34 pm

RobJN wrote:The pink-ish hue might be appropriate, given the lighting from that central red sun :P

Haha, indeed! :D

Its not that bad I guess. You cannot even see it in the photo.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:11 pm

HWA3 Hollow World: Nightstorm is now out!

Hope they are doing the rest of the trilogy too.

While you are at it, also check out the discussion of a possible sequel: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2832&p=36717#p36717

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby maddog » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Nuts! Completely missed your Dec 8 post Havard! :o Now that you've had time to digest it, what do you think? Any oddities? How did they handle the Hollow World continental map? Is it separate from the book like the original printing or is it somehow bound with the book?

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:20 pm

maddog wrote:Nuts! Completely missed your Dec 8 post Havard! :o Now that you've had time to digest it, what do you think? Any oddities? How did they handle the Hollow World continental map? Is it separate from the book like the original printing or is it somehow bound with the book?

Hi Ray!
I am very happy with the core book. There is a slight pinkish hue to the cover which bugged me at first, but it is really a small detail. The cover art still looks great. The book is solid and contains all three booklets from the boxed set as well as the maps. The maps are not included as posters, but are instead printed on pages within the book. It would be nice to have poster sized maps, but I can understand why they did it this way and actually it looks pretty good. I also like that every page in the book is printed in colors and that we get the individual booklet covers included in color inside this book.

I have not yet put on an order for HWA3. My original version of HWA3 is still in pretty good shape so I am not sure I will need to replace it.

I really hope they offer book versions of the other Mystara boxed sets though: Champions of Mystara, Dawn of the Emperors, Red Steel. It would be cool to have them all in book format as well as
the boxed sets I already own.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Hollow World