Shajapur (HWA3)

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Shajapur (HWA3)

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:21 pm

Does anyone have ideas for further expanding on Shajapur? Shajapur is of course the India-inspired realm created by Allen Varney for HWA3. I do seem to recall a discussion about how to reconcile Shajapur's history with that of Sind (as described in Champions of Mystara). Anyone remember more about this?

Do you think any of the resources mentioned in this thread about D&D in India might be useful for further developing Shajapur?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Shajapur (HWA3)

Postby agathokles » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Shajapur is an interesting take on M-India that meshes well with the pulp feel of the Hollow World. The AD&D Dragon Magazine articles can certainly be used, the other resources don't seem as generic as they would need to be.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I have some notes, either here or elsewhere, that I used to try and reconcile the two histories of HWA3 and CoM. I'm not sure why they got so muddled as they did; Varney did a really good job with Shajahpur and relating its history in the Outer World (which to that point had never been done; the most we'd had on Sind up until then was a brief bit on it in module X10, where the capital was a tent city; a small village from module X4; and some scattered references to it elsewhere. Bruce Heard's article may or may not have come out by then, I don't recall, but even that didn't go too much into detail about it.) I kind of prefer the Mughal-like Shahjapur to what we got in CoM in any event- I feel that it was a better fit for contemporary Mystara.

I'll see if I can't dig up my notes and post them here. I still marvel at just how much detail and depth Allen Varney was able to put into Shahjapur in what was a relatively small space, compared to what a full Gaz would provide. And the map is really beautiful and full of detail as well (albeit the orientation of the hexes didn't mesh with the standard Gaz orientation).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:And the map is really beautiful and full of detail as well (albeit the orientation of the hexes didn't mesh with the standard Gaz orientation).

Has anyone ever tried to "fix" the hexes to match with the standard GAZ system?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby hyrieus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm

The Vaults have Shajapur with a north/south orientation. Od&dities 05 has the Ryaset of Angorit which is a nation of shapechangers who seem to have fled from Sind. So you have that, the Shapechangers ended up in Angorit and the Immortals ended up in messed with everyone's memories.
hyrieus
Bugbear

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 am

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone ever tried to "fix" the hexes to match with the standard GAZ system?

Yes- as Hyrieus points out, there was a fix made by none other than our very own Thorfinn Tait several years back to try and reorient the hexes. Some interesting anecdotes about that process as well as the original design by Allen Varney in this thread.

EDIT: I notice that some of the links to the maps appear outdated in that thread. I think Thorf has never replaced those maps on his site since he last updated it, so the maps on the Vaults are the most current.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Hollow World