Kubitts Reimagined

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Kubitts Reimagined

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:06 am

Okay, I'm getting back to work on this thing now that there seems to be some interest. I'll post up my Kubitt stuff in this thread as I work on it, both for feedback and for anyone to use. Though I mostly work with 3E stats these days, I'll also toss up some OD&D stats (and possibly 2E) here and there.

I'll link up any new and updated info in this first post, much the way Thorf does in his mapping threads.

Feeback welcome!

History Inspirations/Pictures Game Rules
Last edited by Cthulhudrew on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

A Brief History

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:09 am

A brief history and timeline of the Kubitts in the Outer and Hollow Worlds (still in progress):
  • 2 BC: Governor Lucinius Trenzantenbium of Kerendas assassinates Alphatian wizards, declares himself King of Thyatis. The first Great War between Thyatis and Alphatia begins. (DotE, p. 6)
  • 0 AC: Thyatian/Alphatian War is at a standstill. Economies of both nations wrecked. King Lucinius and Emperor Alphas VI conclude a peace treaty in the neutral city of Edairo on the Isle of Dawn. Lucinius returns to Thyatis with the kings of Ochalea and the Pearl Islands to conduct treaties with them; his chief general, Zendrolion, assassinates all three and, with the military's support, crowns himself Emperor Zendrolion I Tatriokanitas; his first activity is the conquest of the Pearl Islands and Ochalea. (DotE, p. 6)
  • 12 AC: The Thyatians build a trading station called Cape Alpha in neutral territory on the Great Bay; this violates the Treaty of Edairo. (DotE, p. 6)
  • 15 AC: Reavers from the Northern Reaches, paid by Alphatia, destroy the trading station at Cape Alpha; it is not rebuilt. (DotE, p.6)
  • 20 AC: Emperor Zendrolion dies; his wife, Valentia the Justiciar, makes her Citizens' Proclamation. (DotE, p. 6)
  • 50 AC: An Alphatian wizard, by magical experimentation with wood-imps and pixies, creates a small humanoid race he calls the Kubitts. They average a foot and a half tall; he gives them their name from an old Milenian word for the measurement a foot and a half. He makes them independent and strong, but when he tries to force them to perform deeds against their wishes, they rise up against him and kill him. The Immortal Vanya, smitten by these diminutive warriors, transplants the entire race to a hidden jungle valley in the Hollow World. (HW DM's Guide, p. 16)
(Dates are given in accordance with the Thyatian calendar, due to its preeminence in comparative Mystaran timelines.)

(Edit: I just noticed that the way I decided to fit this into the existing timeline negates Korubazunth as a Grand Councilor during the War; I'll have to go and fix that...)
Last edited by Cthulhudrew on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Korubazunth's Obsession

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 am

Now for the expanded version:

Korubazunth's Obsession

At the turn of the century, the Empire of Alphatia was devastated by its costly war and occupation of Thyatis. In the wake of the disastrous ouster of Imperial Forces at the hands of General Trenzantenbium, the Treaty of Edairo was signed between the two nations, and the process of rebuilding began in earnest.

Even as the new Emperor, Alphas VI, attempted to restore the power of the imperial throne and to rebuild the corrupt Grand Council of Wizards, there were those who sought to profit from Alphatia’s weakened state. Some sought greater independence from the throne; others sought power over it; there were even those who still reeled at the Thyatian upstarts and hoped to regain territory lost to the barbarians far across the seas.

And then there was Korubazunth.

Korubazunth was a powerful wizard and a long-standing member of the Grand Council. Like many of his compatriots, he was largely uninterested in politics, and had remained neutral throughout the First Great War. He had avoided the temptations of zzonga addiction that plagued so many councilmen, consumed as he was with his own particular passion: the creation of simulacra.

Born and raised in Floating Ar, Korubazunth was educated in the traditional magical arts just as any Alphatian with the talent was. It was while on holiday in Ambur that he first became enamored with the puppet shows he saw there; hand puppets, Ochalean shadow puppets, but most especially the Minaean string puppets. Though he noticed a few automata in some of these shows, the majority were either merely mundane constructs, either mechanically or (rarely) magically animated. He began to wonder at an entertainment provided entirely by magical constructs.

When he returned to school after the break, he found himself unable to tear his mind away from the concept. Increasingly, his studies turned to conjurations, then transmutations- he even dabbled a little in necromancy- all in the quest for the secrets to animating artificial lifeforms.

For his post-graduate studies, Korubazunth was accepted into Malebolge University, deep in the dark reaches of Blackheart. He barely passed the strict exams for admission, and feared the reputation of the university’s low commencement rate (and directly proportional high fatality rate), but Malebolge was- at the time- home to the Empire’s leading expert in fabricarcana- the art of making magical constructs. Korubazunth was willing to do whatever it took to learn from the best.

For years he soaked up all the knowledge he could learn about creating magical lifeforms, only to inevitably discard the usual forms as inadequate to his task. Golems were too lumbering and limited; homunculi too fragile; magen too costly. He needed something beautiful, yet enduring; flexile, but strong; compliant, yet adaptive.

Even as his obsession grew, Korubazunth’s heart hardened to the outside world. Several of his fellow students died in tragic accidents- summonings gone awry, thesis projects that blossomed out of control. The founders of Malebolge had hoped to create an institute in the vein of those of Old Alphatia. They had succeeded all too well. The program of study at Malebolge was designed to push the perfection of magic in all its forms as the ultimate end. Practicality, application, ethics- these were not secondary concerns; they were not concerns in the slightest. At times the lines between faculty and student blurred as the masters were overturned by the learners- or disposed of those who threatened their supremacy. It was even rumored in some circles that the university itself was some kind of unnatural creature that fed on the unwary.

It was in this environment that Korubazunth was truly fostered. Any thoughts of entertaining others he might have had once faded into a singular purpose of designing a magical form that could mimic his childhood nostalgia. At this time he had no object beyond that; no goal. But the presentation of his final thesis loomed, and he had no breakthrough. The prospect of failure- and its likely fatal consequence- wore on him like a shroud.

The spirit of competition of the malevolent institute was Korubazunth’s inspiration. Mendred Snepus, a fellow student, was studying the effects of the great Ilmaryllian Blight upon the native fey creatures. When Korubazunth first laid eyes on the delicate forms of Snepus’ captive wood imps and pixies, he finally knew the form his project would- must- take. Regrettably, the cost of acquiring such specimens for himself were beyond his means, and certainly outside the budgetary parameters of his studies.

Tragically, Snepus was found murdered in his laboratory shortly afterwards. Some of the wood-imps had effected an escape from their bonds and turned on their captor. Before the creatures could be executed, Korubazunth submitted an effective appeal for their release into his custody. He had no fear that Snepus’ fate would be his own- after all, had it not been his own homunculus that had been responsible for the wood-imps freedom?

The passionate wizard continued his studies in a fever. He sought to create something that had not been done before- to merge the raw materials of the pixies and wood-imps with more traditional arcane materials used in the creation of golems and constructs to create a new form of life altogether. His deadline- figuratively and literally- raced ever nearer.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

War Profiteers

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 am

War Profiteers

The Treaty of Edairo was broken in 12 AC, when Thyatians colonized the settlement of Cape Alpha in Norwold. The threat of war loomed once more over the Empire, and Alphas VI quickly moved to maintain the fragile status quo he’d barely begun to establish. If conflict were to break out once more, the new emperor feared he would not be able to furnish a suitable military body from his fragmented country. Alternative solutions were sought from his advisors and the Grand Council. Among these possible fallbacks was the creation of a construct militia. Such bodies had been employed by the Alphatian military machine in the past, but due to the expense and the relative mindlessness of most such creations, they were only small forces, with limited aims. Alphas VI sought something different.

Still struggling in vain to meet his graduation date, Korubazunth received a fortuitous (and unheard of) Imperial Reprieve. His work, as well as that of several known fabricarcanists, was viewed in a prospective light by Alphas VI. He was immediately given a rich grant from the Council and an unlimited time frame in which to develop his simulacra- though (ironically) with several strings attached. His work would need to be applied to military purposes; his laboratories were moved to a new, more secretive location (though still in Blackheart); and he would have assistants and handlers watching him. Korubazunth accepted these conditions mostly with grace- he no longer need fear for his life should he fail to complete his thesis (though the consequences of failure to the throne might not be much better), and he now had nearly unlimited resources to finish his research. The addition of military applications bothered him only a little- he had long since ceased to care about using his creations as entertainment. The one thing he did fear was that someone else might try to share- or worse yet hog- the credit for his creations. He secretly plotted ways to eliminate any possible rivals should that eventuality come about.

The crisis with Thyatis ended rather quickly and quietly. Northland pirates- paid handsomely by Alphatian agents- razed Cape Alpha to the ground in 15 AC. Emperor Zendrolion rattled his saber at the slight, and skirmishing broke out across border territories on the Isle of Dawn, but war never truly broke out. Zendrolion died a few years later and was succeeded by his wife, Empress Valentia, who embarked upon a campaign of rebuilding and strengthening Thyatis in a manner similar to that with which Alphas VI hoped to achieve. The two empires settled back into an uneasy peace. Though his project continued to be funded, Korubazunth found that the imperial staff was gradually assigned elsewhere.

After several fits and starts, Korubazunth finally created what he’d sought after for so long. They were simulacra- living constructs; Korubazunth named them Kubitts, after an old Milenian word for the measurement of a foot and a half- which was the average size of the creatures. They were intelligent, and would follow orders given to them, but they also exhibited the ability to think for themselves and adjust to situations where they had no input from their handlers. The Kubitts were supernaturally strong and durable for their size, and could wield weapons and wear clothing designed for their tiny forms. They could also make themselves appear as lifeless as the dolls and marionettes they were created to resemble. Even better, the Kubitts proved capable of self-reproduction- not in a human manner, but through a curious process that resembled nothing so much as that of a puppet-maker; the parents would build the form of their progeny, and then donate certain parts of their own forms to it, bringing it to life.

Korubazunth presented his creations formally to the Emperor and Grand Council. Though many were impressed by his efforts, they were ultimately deemed unfit and unnecessary to the Alphatian rebuilding efforts, which had largely turned away from the military at this time. Only slightly chastened at the reaction, Korubazunth returned with his creations to Blackheart, to ponder what to do now that his life’s obsession was fulfilled.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Re: Kubitts Reimagined

Post by Seer of Yhog » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Fascinating - you've really conjured the mood of the times. I also like the fact that you've brought in elements of your work on Blackheart and its nasty politics. Incidentally, is Snepus a play on Snape? A great read, and of course, more please!

The Ilmaryllian Blight....it's been a long time since I thought about that. You know, some of this recalls bits and pieces of what we talked about when I met you down in Long Beach. Do you think Korubazunth may have stolen water from the Shiye Founts of Vitality (or, more likely, did he locate one in Ilmaryll that had not yet been corrupted)?
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:Fascinating - you've really conjured the mood of the times. I also like the fact that you've brought in elements of your work on Blackheart and its nasty politics. Incidentally, is Snepus a play on Snape? A great read, and of course, more please!
Definitely more coming, and I'll be modifying some of what I put up last night based on some thoughts that occurred to me in the meanwhile.

As for Snepus- the name is actually an anagram of Edmund Spenser (author of the Faerie Queene), but when I was trying to come up with a use for the remaining letters I had left after Mendred, I came up with Snepus. It did occur to me that it was sort of a play on Snape, so I went with it (even though I've never read the Harry Potter books and only saw the first movie recently).
The Ilmaryllian Blight....it's been a long time since I thought about that. You know, some of this recalls bits and pieces of what we talked about when I met you down in Long Beach. Do you think Korubazunth may have stolen water from the Shiye Founts of Vitality (or, more likely, did he locate one in Ilmaryll that had not yet been corrupted)?
Could be- I didn't go into too much detail about any of that; the notion of corrupted fey just occurred to me as a last minute thing when I was trying to figure out how Korubazunth ended up with wood-imps and pixies, and it seemed natural to tie it in with Ilmaryl and Blackheart's twisted nature. I may or may not do something else with it- after all, if the kubitts are created from corrupt fey, it stands to reason that some of that corruption may have made it into the final product.

Like I said, though, more to come, along with 3E and OD&D stats (including an update to the Hollow World player's guide of their abilities). Now that I'm on a roll (and have a lot of interesting new ideas), there may be a lot more. I might have to dust off my mapping skills.

(Plus, I'm not going to limit them strictly to the Hollow World. It has always seemed a shame, to me, that they were apparently shunted off in their entirety to this single isolated valley in the HW. Again, it goes back to one of my key gripes with the Hollow World as presented- so many of the cultures seem to exist solely as one-off encounters; explorations in a zoo, and no real staying power beyond that. A lot of it has to do with the limits of the HW boxed set to present campaign options, I know- hence the expansion Gazetteers- but still, the kubitts seemed even more limited than some. Plus, once I started thinking of them as living dolls, it seemed a shame to remove them from the Outer World entirely. So I'll probably have some notes on who/when/where/what OW kubitts are up to these days.)

metal
Stone Giant

Post by metal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Let loose the Kubitts on the Outer World!!!!!!! :twisted:
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, cultures that were preserved in the HW also had some remnants left in the outer world, where they could evolve. So it stands to reason that some kubitts would remain too. And they would still be kubitts, even though their culture might have changed.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 pm

metal wrote:Let loose the Kubitts on the Outer World!!!!!!! :twisted:
LOL! As you command, master!

BTW, I may have just come up with an interesting (I hope) concept for implementing the Ilmaryllian corruption among the Kubitts. Think "Chucky".

Or Toy Story's "Mutant Toys":

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Andaire wrote:Well, cultures that were preserved in the HW also had some remnants left in the outer world, where they could evolve. So it stands to reason that some kubitts would remain too. And they would still be kubitts, even though their culture might have changed.
That's my rationale for it, definitely. The canon for the kubitts has it that Vanya "transplants the entire race" to the Hollow World, though. Which a) as above, seems a bit of a waste, and b) seems to fly in the face of the (admittedly seemingly mutable) Immortal non-interference vows.

So I'm going with the "entire race" bit being authorial hyperbole, and keeping some of them in the OW. Which fits better with the next part of the history, in any event. Coming soon!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:That's my rationale for it, definitely. The canon for the kubitts has it that Vanya "transplants the entire race" to the Hollow World, though. Which a) as above, seems a bit of a waste, and b) seems to fly in the face of the (admittedly seemingly mutable) Immortal non-interference vows.

So I'm going with the "entire race" bit being authorial hyperbole, and keeping some of them in the OW. Which fits better with the next part of the history, in any event. Coming soon!
You see the same thing with Kagyar and the Kogolor, though that makes even less sense to me. I tend to agree though, that some remnant would be left on the outer world.

I like what you have so far - especially the bit about Kubitt reproduction. I'd really like to see what you do with the stat-wise. I'm interested in your take on creating a Tiny PC race. I'll assume you plan to use rules similar to those for warforged (although without the built in armor - since you mention they can wear clothes designed for them).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Didn't you post more Kubbit stuff over at the Piazza v2, Cthulhudrew?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Havard wrote:Didn't you post more Kubbit stuff over at the Piazza v2, Cthulhudrew?
Oh, yeah. Didn't realize it hadn't made the migration. It wasn't much- just some pictures of Kubitt inspirations and a OD&D writeup. But I shall repost all the same (and get back to this project soon...)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Kubitt Inspirations

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm

(From Piazza v.2, June 20, 2009)

Doing some more work on the Kubitts, and I came across some inspirational images:

Some pretty realistic looking dolls out there- I hadn't realized. In any case, they're giving me a lot of good mental images and even some inspiration for Kubitt society that I hadn't come up with before. If anyone knows of any good dollfie or ball-jointed doll sites that have medieval/fantasy inspired dolls, let me know. I'd love to find some more images and ideas.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Kubitt Monster (OD&D)

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Post from Piazza v.2 by Cthulhudrew on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm holding off reposting the Kubitt thread until Ashtagon tries to reinstall the old forums, but here's the OD&D monster writeup I've got on these guys at the moment:

Kubitt

Code: Select all

Warrior      Wizard
    Armor Class:    5            7
    Hit Dice:       1* (S)       1** (S)
    Move:           120’ (40’)   120’ (40’)
    Attacks:        1 weapon     1 weapon or spell
    Damage:         By weapon    By weapon or spell
    No. Appearing:  0 (1d4 x 10) 0 (1d4 x 10)
    Save As:        F1           M-U1
    Morale:         10           9
    Treasure Type: (Q + S) H
    Intelligence:   10           12
    Alignment:      Neutral      Neutral
    XP Value:       13           16
Monster Type: Construct, Enchanted (Uncommon)
A kubitt is a living construct created and animated by a high level magic-user or cleric. They are made from a combination of artificial materials and the flesh and blood of fey creatures such as wood imps and sprites. Kubitts appear to be small, doll-like replicas of humans; they stand no more than a foot and a half in height, move with a slight stiffness, and their skin has a porcelain-like sheen.
As lesser constructs, Kubitts are immune to poison, gases, charm, sleep, and other mind-affecting and illusion spells. They can, however, be harmed by normal weapons. Kubitts have the ability to remain completely motionless and appear to be nothing more than harmless toys. This ability functions much like the Halfling ability to hide, giving the kubitt a 90% chance to remain unremarked upon in building interiors or populated areas (such as towns); in the wilderness, their chance to remain ignored drops to 33% (dolls are less common sights in the wilderness than in civilization.)
Due to their nature as living constructs, they can take classes just like humans do. The most commonly found classes among the kubitts are fighters and magic-users.
Terrain: Any (usually Settled).

(As you can see, I made some changes from the Character Entry that I'll be porting over to the PC Class writeup I do. Basically, added some construct traits and got rid of the Move Silently/Hide In Shadows features for a variation of the Halfling Hide ability that I thought was more fitting to a doll.)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Kubitt Inspirations

Post from Piazza v.2, by Ashtagon on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:04 am

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for reposting these 'Drew! Those images are amazing.

By the way, I once posted some ideas about a connection between Korubazunth and Gargantua. Given the timeline, Gargantua could have been working off Korubazunth's notes, only reversing processes in order to make things larger. I guess this maybe makes less sense if the Kubbits are constructs though.

Any thoughts?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 am

I saw an episode of Destination Truth on the sci-fi channel a while back (and have been meaning to mention it, but haven't gotten around to it until now). It was about a place in Mexico called the Island of the Dolls. Supposedly a little girl drowned out there and the caretaker (while he was alive) would bring dolls out to the island to appease her. Anyway, as soon as I saw that episode I immediately thought of your kubitts. It's quite a bit creepier than your own take on living dolls... but man... to be honest, it's one of the creepiest things that I've ever seen. Why in the heck would you hang so many dolls like that?

I'm thinking something like this is just too good to pass up. Undead kubitts anyone?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 am

Chimpman wrote:I'm thinking something like this is just too good to pass up. Undead kubitts anyone?
That is pretty creepy. It actually fits pretty well with a concept I have been thinking of in conjunction with the kubitts for a sort of "Island of Misfit Toys" type of concept (and see the post a few posts up about Chucky and the Ilmaryllian corruption).

Thanks for the imagery- it helps to better solidify the idea I've been working on (and the kubitts aren't ever too far from my imagination, even if I have a tendency to float between projects.)

I'll have to sit down soon and just start posting bits and pieces of what I've come up with, rather than trying to force myself to get it all into one coherent package before posting, since I never seem to complete things that way...

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I'll have to sit down soon and just start posting bits and pieces of what I've come up with, rather than trying to force myself to get it all into one coherent package before posting, since I never seem to complete things that way...
I've found that doing this seems to help me as well. At least it gets me from the 20% done stage to about the 70% - 80% done stage. It's that last 20% - 30% that's a real killer for me. I've got about 3-4 projects at that point right now. Hopefully if I keep bouncing back and forth between them something will get done. ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Creepy stuff! :o

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AlexB
Hobgoblin

Post by AlexB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 am

Well it's good to see some attention brought to the Kubitts. Back when I was with the HW Team I tried to focus on the HW cultures' reactions to the sudden appearance of Alphatia. For the Kubitts we went with a mixture of fear and curious intrigue by the Kubitts for the race that created them. We went with the Kubitts being received well by the Imperial Court. Repercussions for killing their creator should have diminished over time. Anyway, the Kubitts envoy became sort of the toast of the Alphatian Court, Eriadna finding them fascinating both for their size and for their culture. I'm not sure what their planned future is. And don't think any of the above is a spoiler but I apologize if any is.
Alex Benson - Yeah It's Me
http://pandius.com/abenson.html *
*In Need Of Massive Rewrites

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

AlexB wrote:Well it's good to see some attention brought to the Kubitts. Back when I was with the HW Team I tried to focus on the HW cultures' reactions to the sudden appearance of Alphatia.
Alex! :)
By HW team I guess you mean for the Mystaran Almanacs?
For the Kubitts we went with a mixture of fear and curious intrigue by the Kubitts for the race that created them.
I never thought about that! I guess Alphatia may have remained in Kubitt Legends as a place of dread, a sort of hell that they are happy they escaped from?
We went with the Kubitts being received well by the Imperial Court. Repercussions for killing their creator should have diminished over time.
Yeah, no reason they should bear much of a grudge, especially against the race as a whole. How is the Kubbit creator remembered in Alphatia?
Anyway, the Kubitts envoy became sort of the toast of the Alphatian Court, Eriadna finding them fascinating both for their size and for their culture. I'm not sure what their planned future is. And don't think any of the above is a spoiler but I apologize if any is.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AlexB
Hobgoblin

Post by AlexB » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 am

Havard, Yup the HW Team for the Mystara Almanac. But that was ages ago and to be honest I couldn't tell you the edition year that all of that was implemented. Anyway, the general focus was to address the ramifications of the appearance of the Alphatian Continent and the rest of the HW nations. We wanted to establish some ground rules and avoid Alphatians waging war on the other nations.

As far as the Kubitts, I believe we rationalized that their flight was out of immediate fear. I believe that part of this was from their creator Korubazunth's threats of what would happen if they tried anything. So they believed that their actions would spell their destruction. In addition, their view of Alphatia and Alphatians was based on their experiences with their creator.

In short, Kubitts were supposed to be an initial example on how the Alphatians were going to deal with HW cultures. The Kubitts were to given "protected" status due to their Alphatian origins and Eriadna's affinity for them. This would not be without trouble as the Kubitts were divided on the matter.

That said, it was not supposed to be all friendly with all cultures. That's just how the Kubitts were going to be addressed. Each culture was to handled differently. Anyway, I resigned from the Almanac Teams before we got into them. I'm not really sure what the Team came up with after that. To be honest, I really haven't read much of the Almanacs since then.
Alex Benson - Yeah It's Me
http://pandius.com/abenson.html *
*In Need Of Massive Rewrites

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:37 am

Holy crap- the kubitts as living dolls idea has just gone to a whole new level!

The Living Barbie Doll

Creepy.

(And another one!!)

Return to “Hollow World”