Blacklore Elves - Fannon Guide?

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Blacklore Elves - Fannon Guide?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 am

Havard wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:Why is it so important for you to have high technology on Mystara? And why the Hollow World in particular?
It is not important to me to have high technology on Mystara. What is important to me is to find sources in rpgs (dnd/d20/ogl worlds) where tech is tech so that I can take inspiration for my own uses. While I am looking forward to Starfinder, it is a level of Magitech outside of what I'd like to use in a planetlocked setting.
Ah okay. In that case I think the Blacklore Civilization is something you would want to read up on. The main official source on them is the HW boxed set. They also appear briefly in one of the HW modules in a dream sequence.

-Havard

At this point in time making the investment into owning the material is something I would like to keep curbed. Do we have enough information about the Blacklore Elves to create a fannon supplement going into detail about them; their history, their culture, their traditions, their worship (if any), their tech, etc.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Blacklore Elves - Fannon Guide?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:At this point in time making the investment into owning the material is something I would like to keep curbed. Do we have enough information about the Blacklore Elves to create a fannon supplement going into detail about them; their history, their culture, their traditions, their worship (if any), their tech, etc.
There is enough fan based material on the Vaults and here at the Piazza to at least do a mini-sort of Gaz not unlike others that have been done, but I wouldn't say there is nearly enough to do it if you're only using canon sources, no.

Also, if you're looking strictly for technology, then the Blacklore elves might not be what you're looking for. Canonically speaking, according to the HW set, the Blacklore's "technology" is enabled through Immortal-level magic and non-functional outside their small valley in the HW. So not really technology as you might be looking for.

What might be more in your wheelhouse would be the DA series of modules, specifically DA3: City of the Gods, which details many different technological items and robots of alien origins (brought when the Beagle crash landed near Blackmoor). DA2: Temple of the Frog also has some information (cyborgs and some alien tech, but most of the latter is also reprinted in DA3).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

brassdragon
Orc

Re: Blacklore Elves - Fannon Guide?

Post by brassdragon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 am

I've been working (very slowly) on a post about the Blacklore Elves myself!

They only get a few pages in the HW boxed set, and a lot of that plays them for laughs. I haven't read the module Havard mentions, so I don't know how much that adds.

The basic idea is that they're the preserved remnant of an elven culture that turned away from magic adopted Blackmoor technology. And then when they were brought into the Hollow World, the Immortals replaced their technology with magic and made it only work inside a small geographic area.

In terms of fanon, there's a little over at the Vaults of Pandius -- http://pandius.com/blcklore.html -- perhaps most vividly Sean Meaney's vivid presentation of apocalyptic effects the "Week Without Magic" from Wrath of the Immortals would have on the Blacklore Elves. Havard has posted some of his ideas there (http://pandius.com/blorebck.html) and on his own blog (at https://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/2 ... -look.html). But I think there's a lot more that can be done.

Return to “Hollow World”