Hollow World - Not a Museum, but a Path to Knowledge

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Hollow World - Not a Museum, but a Path to Knowledge

Post by Havard » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 am

Whenever I hear the Hollow World described as a Museum, I find that I think of the word museum as something negative. This is odd because I love museums. But I guess the associations are something static, lifeless etc. Not a fun place to play around in. Not somewhere you'd want to live.

But museums are also places of knowledge and unlocked secrets. Could it be that the Hollow World can tell visitors something about their own world? Maybe not just "oh, so that's what the Nithians were like. That's neat", but deeper secrets that would have meaning in the Outer World as well? Maybe secrets that, if unlocked, can be used to change the Outer World?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Hollow World - Not a Museum, but a Path to Knowledge

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Have you ever read The Legend of Spelljammer boxed set?

The Spelljammer (the big ship that other spelljamming ships take their name from) has an effect that is not the same as the Spell of Preservation, but which has some parallels.

When ships land on the wings of Spelljammer, they are disassembled by creatures called shivaks. Once that is done the bits are miniaturised and taken to a location called the Ship's Memory where they are reassembled as miniature ships.

On the face of it, this is also a bit like a museum, but it's possible that someone could become captain of the Spelljammer that they might be able to convince Spelljammer to reverse the process and take a ship or other item stored in the Ship's Memory and restore it to normal.

Likewise, if the Hollow World has a Spell of Preservation, there might be some sort of epic "Spell of Restoration" process that can summon something important to the Known World.

I think that some of the later 2nd AD&D products had rules for "Quest Spells" (with specific AD&D deities granting different Quest Spells that further the specific aims of the deity). So if Mystara had something on the same sort of level, it might be possible for specific Immortals to have a quest or ritual that can bring back lost knowledge, items or animals that are currently being archived in the Hollow World.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Having some spell that could summon things from the HW to the Outer World might work, although the SoP does restrict such magic within the HW.

One idea that I was thinking about is to have the powers linked to various Immortals that are connected to the culture that Immortal is associated with. Epic quests for a Cleric or a Quest for Immortality might require the character to visit that part of the HW.

I could also see the same with other types of quests that perhaps tie into the history of a KW nation. In order to get some higher understanding of Antalian Runes, a character from the Northern Reaches would have to visit that part of the HW. An Ylari character wishing to restore the Alaysiyan Desert to a green garden might have to visit HW's Nithia.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:29 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm
Having some spell that could summon things from the HW to the Outer World might work, although the SoP does restrict such magic within the HW.

One idea that I was thinking about is to have the powers linked to various Immortals that are connected to the culture that Immortal is associated with. Epic quests for a Cleric or a Quest for Immortality might require the character to visit that part of the HW.

I could also see the same with other types of quests that perhaps tie into the history of a KW nation. In order to get some higher understanding of Antalian Runes, a character from the Northern Reaches would have to visit that part of the HW. An Ylari character wishing to restore the Alaysiyan Desert to a green garden might have to visit HW's Nithia.

-Havard
This is exactly the sort of thing the Hollow World was made for.

And, of course, there are the agents from the Lighthouse who pursue surface-dwellers, to ensure that they either do not interfere too greatly with the preserved cultures, or catch up to them on the surface to ensure they keep the Hollow World secret.... by any means necessary....
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Return to “Hollow World”