[Malpheggi] Albino Lizardmen

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Havard, Thorf

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Malpheggi] Albino Lizardmen

Post by Havard » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm

"a few Lizardmen are albinos (pure white with pink eyes)" (Hollow World Player's Guide p 45).

There is no other information about these Lizardmen. As presented it is simply a variation of their appearance (or a condition?). BECMI doesnt have a tradition for subraces, but could these albino lizardmen be given a unique role or expanded upon in some way? Seems like a wasted opportunity...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
White Dragon

Re: [Malpheggi] Albino Lizardmen

Post by Robin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 pm

It could be somewhat similar to Real World Africa.
Here albinoes are seen as enchanted beings and a great source for components for weird "magical" ointments, drinks, poultices, vapours, or similar.

Maybe in Mystara these creature somehow are able to store (Radiance affected) magic and could thus be used by very capable casters as a major component in creating 10th level spells. Carnivex did use Low Radiance affected magic and were banned from the Prime Plane by the Immortals due this. Carnivex are related/evolved Lizardmen.
Morgreth lizardkin and Nithia even 10th level spells are rumoured to have been created. immortals take action wiping away this knowledge
This was due Evolved Radiance affected magic. In all these cases Lizardkin/men seemto have been used.
See my http://pandius.com/magcevol.html

I imagine these Albinoes being treated as the most important ITEM (yes item, as they are not seen as creatures anymore) within their culture.
The increase of their number might be a sign for them to know their research is on the good track. They aren't there yet, however.
Albinoues will be treated fairly well, but are refrained from moving out of their settlement, and thus are a sort of "free-roaming' prisoners and at the same time very important spell or ritual components.

Especially Magic (clerical or Mage) using albinoes would seem to be interesting in the component aspect.

It might be these are preludes of the return of Nature magic and the slow but unavoidable demise of the Radiance magic as I suggested in the Periods of Magic Evolution.
And maybe the lizardmen see this as a return to their former might (in the Carnivex, and Mogreth eras).
Maybe this is one of the signs iof the rediscovery of natural magic.....
Maybe harder to learn, and much more diverse, but maybe also able to go beyond the current level restrictions(which are a result of the affection of Radiance upon Magic)

Maybe the end result to them would be desired as it was earlier
see picture

Of course this no longer depends on Lizardmen alone. The truth will eventually be out of the box, and ALL creatures would have the same chance to harvest and use this magic ...in all its diversity and difficulty . With trial and error and much research.

The Hollow World might be the first area where nature magic reignites...As it was less affected by the Radiance as the outer World, and thus might be able to repell the radiance earlier (not much maybe a decade or so)

Thee World Mystara is changing....It might be interesting to see where it goes. :ugeek: :mrgreen:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Malpheggi] Albino Lizardmen

Post by Big Mac » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm
There is no other information about these Lizardmen. As presented it is simply a variation of their appearance (or a condition?). BECMI doesnt have a tradition for subraces, but could these albino lizardmen be given a unique role or expanded upon in some way? Seems like a wasted opportunity...
It might be worth contacting Echohawk to see if he knows of a version of albino lizardmen for another edition of D&D. (And the Creature Catalogue Team over on EN World sometimes create full 3e entries of monsters from half-described descriptions in earlier editions.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Hollow World”